Valve Index headset display issues?

ahaka

Hello,

I am considering getting the Index (just the headset and one base station for flight sim use only).

I have noticed in many forums that users are complaining about some sort of vertical lines (or banding) issue with the displays, that seems to appear mostly when the scene is moving. Some claim that they exchanged their headset to a new one that also had this problem.

Since I trust the flight sim community more than anything, I was wondering if there are any Index users here that have noticed this issue, and if so, how much does it really break the immersion? And do you think it's a hardware issue or more of a software related one?

Or perhaps it's just how the LCD panels work normally? Maybe all LCD headsets have this artifact to some extent?

The issue has been fixed with SteamVR beta 1.7.11

https://steamcommunity.com/games/250820/announcements/detail/1599262708000930524

Index HMD

• Increase allowed range of column correction (Display Settings -> Advanced)

i9 13900K @5.5GHz, Z790 Gigabyte Aorus Master, RTX4090 Waterforce, 64 GB DDR5 @5600, Pico 4, HOTAS & Rudder: all Virpil with Rhino FFB base made by VPforce, DCS: all modules

I don’t normally have this but can produce it with the vertical column adjustment slider all the way to the right. It is more like seeing vertical SDE rather than typical SDE and is quite subtle—you have to stare at it to notice and if your vision is slightly less than perfect you might not even see it. It is not gamebraking for me but I can see why it would bother some people.

PC: 5800X3D/4090, 11700K/3090, 9900K/2080Ti.

Joystick bases: TMW, VPC WarBRD, MT50CM2, VKB GFII, FSSB R3L

Joystick grips: TM (Warthog, F/A-18C), Realsimulator (F-16SGRH, F-18CGRH), VKB (Kosmosima LH, MCG, MCG Pro), VPC MongoosT50-CM2

Throttles: TMW, Winwing Super Taurus, Logitech Throttle Quadrant, Realsimulator Throttle (soon)

VR: HTC Vive/Pro, Oculus Rift/Quest 2, Valve Index, Varjo Aero, https://forum.dcs.world/topic/300065-varjo-aero-general-guide-for-new-owners/

I've had mine for two weeks now. No issues whatsoever.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Intel i9 9900K @ 5.1Ghz HT Disabled, Asus RoG Strix z390E Gaming, 64GB G.Skill Trident Z 3200, Asus RoG Strix RTX2080Ti OC @ 1.9Ghz, 1TB Samsung Evo 970Pro M.2 TM Warthog, CH Pro Pedals, Saitek Pro Rudder Pedals, Samsung 49" Curved Gaming Monitor, Samsung 50" 4KUHD TV, Acer 27" Touch Panel, CV1, Pimax 5K+, Valve Index, FSSB3 Lighting, F-16SGRH, 3 TM Cougar's and a Saitek X36 that I can't bring myself to part with.

Hello,

I am considering getting the Index (just the headset and one base station for flight sim use only).

I have noticed in many forums that users are complaining about some sort of vertical lines (or banding) issue with the displays, that seems to appear mostly when the scene is moving. Some claim that they exchanged their headset to a new one that also had this problem.

Since I trust the flight sim community more than anything, I was wondering if there are any Index users here that have noticed this issue, and if so, how much does it really break the immersion? And do you think it's a hardware issue or more of a software related one?

Or perhaps it's just how the LCD panels work normally? Maybe all LCD headsets have this artifact to some extent?

Is one base station enough for head-tracking?

One base station should be enough for headtracking in flight sims I believe.

However, will it be possible to do the initial setup (center head position etc.) without the controllers and only one base station? If I get the headset + one base station I would hate to see it not allowing me to set it up or use it because the controllers are missing. :P

One base station was not enough for me. I would lose tracking while checking six and ended up buying another. That said most reports say one is fine.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Intel i9 9900K @ 5.1Ghz HT Disabled, Asus RoG Strix z390E Gaming, 64GB G.Skill Trident Z 3200, Asus RoG Strix RTX2080Ti OC @ 1.9Ghz, 1TB Samsung Evo 970Pro M.2 TM Warthog, CH Pro Pedals, Saitek Pro Rudder Pedals, Samsung 49" Curved Gaming Monitor, Samsung 50" 4KUHD TV, Acer 27" Touch Panel, CV1, Pimax 5K+, Valve Index, FSSB3 Lighting, F-16SGRH, 3 TM Cougar's and a Saitek X36 that I can't bring myself to part with.