on the fence between Rift S and Index

SkipCarey

Just looking for the pros and cons of both ,I have the CV1 and im looking to be able to read the cockpit instruments............do you have to repurchase steam modules(fa/18,F14) with the index/steamvr?I own a ton of standalone DCS modules and maps.any input/experiences from index owners would be greatly appreciated......I know pretty well what to expect for the rift/s,Really lookin forward to the bump in resolution but the index would be a considerably more expensive option if I have to repurchase the modules.

Thanx in advance

Wait two weeks, just to take it in to consideration, when the Vive Cosmos could be preordered midth of September. Latest rumors set the price for the cosmos at 699,- . It got too inside out tracking like the Rift S and includes controller.

You don´t need to purchase any DCS module again for any VR headset. SteamVR works regular with the non-steam version of DCS.

Edited by - Voight -

Just looking for the pros and cons of both ,I have the CV1 and im looking to be able to read the cockpit instruments............do you have to repurchase steam modules(fa/18,F14) with the index/steamvr?I own a ton of standalone DCS modules and maps.any input/experiences from index owners would be greatly appreciated......I know pretty well what to expect for the rift/s,Really lookin forward to the bump in resolution but the index would be a considerably more expensive option if I have to repurchase the modules.

Thanx in advance

Well the largest difference for you will be the price difference of the Index setup versus the Rift S.

Index has a little better clarity and a little larger FOV. Note I have never tried the Index, just going off of what I have read from others. And it's tracking will be superb for games that might user larger spaces like room scale.

I went from Rift CV1 to Rift S and am quite pleased. Been using it every day since May 24th. My CV1 is officially retired and back in it's box. It works great with no muss and no fuss to speak of. Initially the inside-out tracking on the S was ok, but not great. However after some firmware/software updates, it is quite good - I would say about on par with the Rift CV1.

I will note though - the built in audio strap is crap. I use earbuds myself, as I prefer them over headphones, and the sound is great with them. Thankfully they included an audio jack for external sound solutions for those of us that want really good audio.

Don B

My VKB Gunfighter MK III Pro L Review

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.2 GHz | EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra | 32 GB G Skill Trident Z 3200 MHz CL14 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |VKB GF MK III Pro L Ultimate Grip| Virpil CM3 Throttle |Reverb G2 | Valve Index| Vive Pro 2 |

Make sure your IPD falls within the S specs. If it's below 60 or above 68 you may not be able to use the S. Unlike the CV1, it does not have manual IPD adjustment. I had no choice but to go with the Index after buying and trying the S. That said the Index is a very polished piece if hardware it's clear though not as clear as the Reverb, speakers are better than the CV1 which in my opinion were fantastic and it's much more comfortable than the S. I'm extremely happy with it but it was not cheap...

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Intel i9 9900K @ 5.1Ghz HT Disabled, Asus RoG Strix z390E Gaming, 64GB G.Skill Trident Z 3200, Asus RoG Strix RTX2080Ti OC @ 1.9Ghz, 1TB Samsung Evo 970Pro M.2 TM Warthog, CH Pro Pedals, Saitek Pro Rudder Pedals, Samsung 49" Curved Gaming Monitor, Samsung 50" 4KUHD TV, Acer 27" Touch Panel, CV1, Pimax 5K+, Valve Index, FSSB3 Lighting, F-16SGRH, 3 TM Cougar's and a Saitek X36 that I can't bring myself to part with.

I'd go along with what Aurelius say's, just order one try it for a couple of weeks or so and then send it back if your not happy..... we can debate all day but until you get the headset strapped to your head you'll never really know :).

Two day's ago i started using an Index, compared to the Rift S certainly in terms of clarity at least to my eyes it just looks better, it sounds better, it feels better, it's more adjustable.... on the other side of the coin it demands more from your system.

I'm still playing with (learning) SteamVR so my setup is certainly not optimised, but to run the Index on my system i have had to make compromises... I've turned MSAA off so that i can run at a constant 40FPS (80Hz mode) and it's running smooth at that.

Turning MSAA off means that i'm having to live with a little more shimmering/jagglies, however to be honest it's really not that bad because overall i'm liking the Index experience more.

If your IPD fits the criteria there's no denying that the Rift S is a very good headset but i think i'll be sticking with the Index and live with compromise that i've had to make to ensure that it runs well.

Just so that you know, if your only playing "sit down" DCS then you'll only need purchase the headset and one lighthouse..... that's what i've done, dead easy to setup and it's working really well.

Edited by Gunnergolly

Win 10 Home Edition 64Bit, i7 8700k@4.8Ghz, MSI RTX2080Ti, 32Gb RAM, HP Reverb, Thrustmaster Warthog, MFG Crosswind Pedals.

SkipCarey, this debate has raged between the Rift S, Index (and Reverb) for several months now. Each player has plenty of backers who believe their choice is the best for them. The very best thing to do, .... order both of them and try em both out. Then return the less capable in your opinion.

Having argued this topic extensively (with Aurelius) I agree wholeheartedly with Aurelius.

just a dude who probably doesn't know what he's talking about

Having evaluated 3x headset for a few weeks: Rift S, Index & Reverb .

Index is overall winner. They are all 3 woth their money.

What sells me on the Index is comfort, sound quality and FOV. I already own a HTC Vice so its a easy sell.

Second choise, equally good is Rift S.

Third, the HP Reverb with over-the-top resolution. Though not comfortable, and limited FOV.

met vriendelijke groet,

Михель

"умный, спортсмен, комсомолетс"

[sIGPIC]159th_pappavis.jpg[/sIGPIC]

[TABLE]SPECS: i9-9900K 32gigs RAM, Geforce 2070RTX, Creative XFi Fata1ity, TIR5, Valve Index & HP Reverb, HOTAS Warthog, Logitech G933 Headset, 10Tb storage.[/TABLE]

I agree with pappavis - index FTW. It’s comfy, sounds great, and with a a bit of tuning, performs amazing. Every headset is a trade off. Just go in with that mind. I tried the reverb as well and found the trade off wasn’t worth it. I skipped the rift s as I wanted sound and more adjustability. YMMV.

:pilotfly: Specs: I9-9900k; ROG Strix RTX 2080ti; Valve Index HMD; 32GB DDR4 3200 Ram; Samsung 970 EVO 1TB SSD; TM Warthog with pedals, 3 TM MFDs

My IPD is 74, no problems AT ALL with Rift s. Software adjustment to the max and prescription lenses inserts (I can use rift s with glasses but the confort is poorer) and the boost in clarity over CV1 is significant. The lack of external sensors is also a big advantage. Never thought about the reverb, I think my 2070 can barely handle and I prefer performance over visual clarity, but if you have a beefy rig it should be considered. Index - as it uses external sensors - has never been on my wishlist.