Preload Radius

lepski

• ED Team

I have mine set to maximum, but I make sacrifices elsewhere and dial down other settings.

It is what it says it is, a radius from your position where objects are preloaded, depending on your machine spec you will need to decide what is best.

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

Is there a way to stop ground clutter (grass, rocks, etc) rendering really close and progressing as I move? My preload radius is set to max.

Even when I taxi the clutter still visibly renders as I move.

Intel i7-13700KF :: ROG STRIX Z790-A GAMING WIFI D4 :: Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB ::  MSI RTX 4080  Gaming X Trio  :: VKB Gunfighter MK.III MCG Ultimate :: VPC MongoosT-50 CM3 :: non-VR :: single player :: open beta

No, it ain't

So setting the grass slider to max stops the progressive loading?

This is maxed out too, still the same

Intel i7-13700KF :: ROG STRIX Z790-A GAMING WIFI D4 :: Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB ::  MSI RTX 4080  Gaming X Trio  :: VKB Gunfighter MK.III MCG Ultimate :: VPC MongoosT-50 CM3 :: non-VR :: single player :: open beta

This is maxed out too, still the same

Yeah just tried it and still the same with mine, only on PG & NTTR though. Odd...

i7 8700k @ 5.0ghz. Strix GTX1080Ti. 32GB RAM @ 3600. 2x Hyper X SSD’s with DCS on one. Oculus Rift S. Asus PG278-QR. Liquid Series PC with liquid CPU and GPU cooling.

• 2 weeks later...
...a radius from your position where objects are preloaded...
What objects are those, Bignewy? Airplanes? All type buildings, bunkers?

More than that, I wonder, while I'm moving is the "preload circle" moving too? If so, there will always be loading something constantly, right? So, what's difference between set it max or middle?

Maybe this option should be removed and embedded in Visibility Range option...

i7-2600 @3.4GHz | Corsair 16GB @1600MHz. | MSI GTX1660Ti Gaming X | Samsung 256GB SSD (Win10HPx64)
Samsung G5 32" + Samsung 18" + 2x8"TFT Displays | Saitek X-55 Rhino & Rudder | TM MFD Cougars | Logitech G13, G230, G510, PZ55 & Farming Sim Panel | TIR5
>>MY MODS<< | Discord: Devrim#1068

More than that, I wonder, while I'm moving is the "preload circle" moving too? If so, there will always be loading something constantly, right? So, what's difference between set it max or middle?

This I wonder too.

GPU: PALIT NVIDIA RTX 3080 10GB | CPU: Intel Core i7-9700K 4,9GHz | RAM: 64GB DDR4 3000MHz
VR: HP Reverb G2 | HOTAS: TM Warthog Throttle and Stick

I think pre-load radius is relative to RAM amount and only pre-load (no rendering) while visibility range is relative to what is rendered (ram/cpu/gpu) - so it might be different options.

I think like in many sims pre-load radius is static, and restart a pre-load radius when your visibility range is on the verge of first pre-load radius.

Concerning trees shadows radius, it's settled in shadows.lua : 1 of the numbers, from cockpit and from external view, is relative to trees shadows (IIRC, I've stopped messing with this file for performances or "look" means) but it's an IRC breaker.

i'll advise everybody to not max out preload radius without actually having tested, that it works well for your system.

when you run dcs from a hdd, like i did for many years, you get a feeling how the settings balances initial loading time against ram/vram and occasional ingame lags for data-streaming.

now with dcs on a ssd i never get those little stutters from data-streaming, that i got occasionaly, even though the ssd is quite old and not very fast by modern standards (~200mb/s reading, i think).

so no reason to go higher on preload.

if it runs well for you with preload maxed, then that is great, but if you are still trouble-shooting performance i would go for a more conservative setting and only increase if you get lags or stutters from data-streaming.

i always see people maxing it out "because they can", but that's child's logic. i would advise to go with the "high" preset setting for preload radius, test it and only then increase. if you are low on ram/vram, you might also want to try decreasing it.

Edited by twistking

I've brainstormed on this in my early times (last months of 1.2 and start of 1.5) but I kinda never got to the bottom of it, I think I did a bit but it's still speculation.

Might give it another shot some day. It should be about loading things from HDD but it's relationship with Visibility Radius is kinda not fully clear to me, it's not that simple so I rather not conclude anything rather than being wrong. It's also about naming things, labels could be used in a specific context that we may not immediately understand.

Edited by Worrazen

Modules: A-10C I/II, F/A-18C, Mig-21Bis, M-2000C, AJS-37, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, P-47, FC3, SC, CA, WW2AP, CE2. Terrains: NTTR, Normandy, Persian Gulf, Syria

@BIGNEWY

"It is what it says it is, a radius from your position where objects are preloaded, depending on your machine spec you will need to decide what is best."

And what exactly does this mean? Does this include buildings that are part of the map like the Las Vegas area, or only dynamic objects that are placed in the ME like ground units, static airfiled objects and such?

• ED Team

Hi

From the manual it says

PRELOAD RADIUS. Radius of the preloaded terrain around user position in meters. A large setting can decrease hard disk swapping but it requires more system RAM.

So on reflection I think it is terrain only, I will try and check

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

• 2 weeks later...

+1

Specs: I7 4790k 4.4ghz, 32GB Ram, SSD´s, AIO, Zotac GTX1080ti 11GB, and Valve Index at 120hz.

- "Don't be John Wayne in the Break if you´re going to be Jerry Lewis on the Ball".

About carrier ops: "The younger pilots are still quite capable of holding their heads forward against the forces. The older ones have been doing this too long and know better; sore necks make for poor sleep.'

PC: I7 4790K 4.6ghz | 32GB RAM | Zotac GTX 1080Ti 11Gb DDR5x | Water cooler NZXT AIO Kraken x53 | 3.5TB (x4 SSD´s) | Valve Index| Andre´s JeatSeat.

I see it this way, if you have enough RAM, load it while you can while you still can wait and not get stutter. The slower your drive is ( HDD vs. SSD vs. NVMe ) the more this is valid imho.

Whereas if you have limited RAM it might very well be contra-productive as you force stuff into memory when there is no real estate available there. That's when you need to lower PLR to fit your rig.

YMMV

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

But we don't want ot guess anymore. I'd like to have one of the devs in the know technically layout how preload radious is affecting Vram and system memory. Actually, a bunch of indepth blogposts about Vulkan, AA and all that engine stuff would really go a long way. A lot of good weekends news posts that can be! Like..."hey folks, you want to get the sim you spent so much time on a bit better?"

But we don't want ot guess anymore. I'd like to have one of the devs in the know technically layout how preload radious is affecting Vram and system memory. Actually, a bunch of indepth blogposts about Vulkan, AA and all that engine stuff would really go a long way. A lot of good weekends news posts that can be! Like..."hey folks, you want to get the sim you spent so much time on a bit better?"

true

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X