Is the real ACLS that precise and accurate?

WelshZeCorgi

The ACLS seems to always catch the 3 wire every time, without fail. Never ran into any connection problems with the ship or autothrottle turning off or any hiccups in the system in general.

Any R/L Tomcat out there feel the ACLS is well modeled, or perhaps a bit too perfect?

I've had bolters & lots of 4-wires when doing ACLS. That's in really bad weather with pitching deck. Set Thunderstorm in ME, wind to 30kt, fog 3nm, clouds max, turbulence to 100 & see how it goes. (the more wind= more pitching deck).

i7 8700k@4.7, 1080ti, DDR4 32GB, 2x SSD , HD 2TB, W10, ASUS 27", TrackIr5, TMWH, X-56, GProR.

I've had bolters & lots of 4-wires when doing ACLS. That's in really bad weather with pitching deck. Set Thunderstorm in ME, wind to 30kt, fog 3nm, clouds max, turbulence to 100 & see how it goes. (the more wind= more pitching deck).

I've only done ACLS in foggy, but otherwise calm seas. That being said, given how good the system is in calm weather, I wonder why the Navy didn't just default to ACLS landings. It gets me on the deck much better and more reliably than when I do it manually.

Edited by WelshZeCorgi

practise of a perishable skill?

Yes, of course. Such a perishable skill needs as much practice as possible. But it's not the only reason. When conditions worsen (typically turbulence and pitching deck), the probability of a successful ACLS landing lowers. And when things go wrong, the pilot has to take control. The closer you are to the carrier, the more dangerous is the shift between ACLS and manual control. So that thing that looks pretty magic in our PC simulation is far from becoming a regular way to land the plane on the flight deck IRL.

Usually I get a lot of 2-wires and 4-wires using ACLS myself... not perfect, but brings you down safely.

PC: Intel Core i7-7700K 4.2GHz | MSI GTX 1080 TI | ASUS Maximus IX Hero | 32GB DDR4 RAM | 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD | Win10 Pro 64bit

Gear: HP Reverb | JetPad FSE | MTX Sim Rig | VKB Gunfighter Pro Mk.III w/ MCG Ultimate (center) | VKB Gunfighter Mk.III w/ SCG-R Premium (side)

VKBNA_LOGO_SM.png

VKBcontrollers.com

• 2 weeks later...