CPU doubts

It time for upgrade here, my current rig is slightly underperforming in LOFC 1.12a and with BS behind the corner and with all Ground / Terrain enhancement mods I guess I'll have to power up.

So with some money on my bank account I'm deciding what to buy. I thought of Core 2 E6850. It's a best bang for buck ratio and I preffer it as a best buy but I'm still sceptic.

If you look into the future Quad core CPUs are already here and they'll take over pretty soon so alternative to my best buy would be Q6600. Of course MoBo that supports Q6600 should also support QX6850, so I thought of buying Q6600 until QX6850 goes cheaper and more affordable.

But since I like to be very careful I'd like to know how would current LOFC 1.12a perform on E6850 compared to Q6600 to help me decide which is better CPU for use with LOFC and BS respectively. I have to note that ATM I'm strictly focused on LOFC, it's the only game I play on my comp and that's about to stay the same because of lack of my free time (read: most of my chill-out time is spent on LO, so no time nor interest for any other game/sim).

All opinions and suggestions are welcome! :helpsmilie:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Q6600 is awsome. You can have many programs open and running and its still responsive. My brothers E6600 with almost identical config lags visibly in these scenarios.

[sigpic]http://forums.eagle.ru/signaturepics/sigpic4448_29.gif[/sigpic]

My PC specs below:

Case: Corsair 400C

PSU: SEASONIC SS-760XP2 760W Platinum

CPU: AMD RYZEN 3900X (12C/24T)

RAM: 32 GB 4266Mhz (two 2x8 kits) of trident Z RGB @3600Mhz CL 14 CR=1T

MOBO: ASUS CROSSHAIR HERO VI AM4

GFX: GTX 1080Ti MSI Gaming X

Cooler: NXZT Kraken X62 280mm AIO

Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 1TB M.2+6GB WD 6Gb red

HOTAS: Thrustmaster Warthog + CH pro pedals

Monitor: Gigabyte AORUS AD27QD Freesync HDR400 1440P

Pilotasso, did you try running LOFC on your bro's computer and which CPU runs better?!

AFAIK, Q6600 should outperform E6600 with games like LOFC and BS but I can see from your sig that there's a lot more to it especially in terms of RAM and GPU!

think the E6850 is the best bang for the buck at the moment. But if you can hold out, I hear that new quads will be released towards the end of the year/Q1 next year.

And new nVidia cards in November....apparently.

Yeah, I also find E6850 very affordable and potent ATM (2X3.0 GHz), but if you think into the future Q6600 (4X2.4GHz) might be a better option especially when new Quads you talked about hit the market. I can easily replace it with QX6850 (4X3.0 GHz) that will go cheaper when new Quads appear, without MoBo replacement!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Yeah maybe no MB replacement but THINK ABOUT OS REPLACEMENT.

I know for a fact the the AMD DC upgrade REQUIRES A NEW OS INSTALL. Not sure about other but it is an OS thing with windows so you will want to look out for that. For example if your running a 4000 AMD you cant just drop in a Dual core AMD CPU and call it a day. Windows will refind everything and your OS will be screwed.

Asus P8Z68-V GEN3/ 2500k 4.4ghz / Corsair 64gb SSD Cache / Corsair 8g 1600 ddr3 / 2 x 320gb RE3 Raid 0 /Corsair 950w/ Zotac 560TI AMP 1gb / Zalman GS1200 case /G940/

Anyone considering upgrading should wait till mid November for the Penryn release... beyond that AMD Phenom after the end of the year.

65nm Conroe (Q6600/E6600/QX6850) shouldn't even really be discussed.... lol

I'll definitely be grabbing a Q9450

http://www.dailytech.com/Intel+Preps+45nm+Quadcore+Desktop+Launch/article9070.htm

Pilotasso, did you try running LOFC on your bro's computer and which CPU runs better?!

Its single core app, so no differences. But since we have 2 disks, I let Spyware and anti virus programs scanning one disk While I play LOMAC installed on the other, I have playable frame rates, my brothers unplayable, with heavy stuttering (hes on 1.02). Looking at the task manager, I have 2 CPU's running those apps, one for LOMAC and still have another one to spare, while my brothers all taken.

My last post was referring to multi tasking.

[sigpic]http://forums.eagle.ru/signaturepics/sigpic4448_29.gif[/sigpic]

My PC specs below:

Case: Corsair 400C

PSU: SEASONIC SS-760XP2 760W Platinum

CPU: AMD RYZEN 3900X (12C/24T)

RAM: 32 GB 4266Mhz (two 2x8 kits) of trident Z RGB @3600Mhz CL 14 CR=1T

MOBO: ASUS CROSSHAIR HERO VI AM4

GFX: GTX 1080Ti MSI Gaming X

Cooler: NXZT Kraken X62 280mm AIO

Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 1TB M.2+6GB WD 6Gb red

HOTAS: Thrustmaster Warthog + CH pro pedals

Monitor: Gigabyte AORUS AD27QD Freesync HDR400 1440P

Indeed, but when I do LOFC I usualy disable everything else that runs in the background including firewall during MP. I'll surely avoid burning CDs and DVDs in the background during flight time in LOMAC but there are other programs that I'm fond of like Virtual panel slewed on my secondary monitor.

So as a possible conclusion: faster the core (GHz) better the LOFC performance no matter of core quantity (duo or quad) simply because LOFC a single core application, right?!

Does anyone know is this about to change with Black Shark, i.e. will multi core processors be able to share BS processing between cores?

But how does the cache size affect performance? Most dual cores have 4MB while Quads count 4MB!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]