Understand weapon labels / names

Nuggit

Hi!

This is a beginners question.

I have been flying the hornet for quite some time now and feels like I've got a hang of it pretty good nowadays. One thing I have a trouble getting my head around is the names of the weapons.

For example, if I want the laser guided maverick loaded, to find it in the list... since its named something like AGM-65F...

Is there some list or something to identify these codes?

Firstly laser guided mavericks are AGM-65E.

The only way I know is to read up on them, google them, it becomes second nature eventually, when someone says AGM-65E they might as well say laser MAV because to me it is the same thing.

I don't think there is a shortcut for this, sorry.

Intel i7 8700K @ 5Ghz, Aorus Z370 Gaming5, 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3000MHz, Nvidia 3080Ti FE, Samsung 970 NVME, Samsung 512GB EVO SSD x 2, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Saitek Rudder Pedals, HP Reverb G2, Windows 11 x64, DCS Modules = FC3, A10c Warthog, F14 Tomcat, F18 Hornet, F16 Viper, Persian Gulf, Syria.

Parxuk, thanks for that link! =)

and launchedsquid: Yes, I guess thats the only way. (And not a bad way either, just thought if there was some logic to it that I have missed)

Thanks for the answers, highly appreciated!

Little hint how I recall Mavericks:

65F: F like inFrared (The word LASER has no F)

65E: LasEr

Thanks for that tip... however its not only the maverick thats causing the confusion. its all the weapons :)

and the litening pod as well, so I guess google is the best bet...:)

All the resources given above are plenty to get you started. Just know that after a while, you'll just know all of the weapons relevant to your aircraft by heart, as well as fuzing setting and stuff like delivery profiles related to each of them. It'll take some time, but it's going to happen. And the journey is very fun and rewarding. I'm kinda jealous...

The vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VFA-34.png

F/A-18C, F-15E, AV-8B, F-16C, JF-17, A-10C/CII, M-2000C, F-14, AH-64D, BS2, UH-1H, P-51D, Sptifire, FC3
-
i9-13900K, 64GB @6400MHz RAM, 4090 Strix OC, Samsung 990 Pro

All the resources given above are plenty to get you started. Just know that after a while, you'll just know all of the weapons relevant to your aircraft by heart, as well as fuzing setting and stuff like delivery profiles related to each of them. It'll take some time, but it's going to happen. And the journey is very fun and rewarding. I'm kinda jealous...

Thanks, and yeah I can understand that its a learning curve as pretty much anything else.

One more thing, Have you guys got any tips on things to occupy oneself with. I know DCS comes to shine the most in the multiplayer rooms but im not there just yet. (plus my living arrangements at the moment prevents me from voicechat). (perhaps there are non-chat rooms and such as well in MP?

other than that, I have mainly been constructing some smaller bomb-raids in mission editor but that gets kind of "booring" after a while, I have completed the F/A 18 campaign that comes with the purchase.

Any other tips?

(this brought my own topic OUT OF TOPIC, so excuse me for this)

other than that, I have mainly been constructing some smaller bomb-raids in mission editor but that gets kind of "booring" after a while, I have completed the F/A 18 campaign that comes with the purchase.

Any other tips?

(this brought my own topic OUT OF TOPIC, so excuse me for this)

Check under the USER FILES section of the DOWNLOAD tab. Lots of excellent campaigns and single missions for the F18 available for free there.

Definitely try out online, it's a lot of fun. Voice chat is an asset but I've never used it. There are lots of informal low realism servers if you're new or just not feeling competitive.

Also, if you havent tried it, DCS alt-tabs really easily. So you can look stuff up on Wikipedia or whatever while playing.

Edited by Preendog