New Guy - Constantly Freezing

mthatdan

Brand new to DCS, have only installed 2.5.5.34864, no mods of any kind.

I keep getting random screen freezes / system crash, have to push reset button for a hard reboot each time it happens.

Although this is a fresh "virgin" install, I did the clean up repair as described in the sticky post but, didn't help.

Freezes are quite random, so far as I can tell.

All latest drivers are installed for mb, gpu & windows 10 home is current.

nVidia driver is 436.25

system specs: Ryzen 7 3700X, Aorus X570 Master, 32 GB corsair DDR4 3200, Corsair HX850i PS, Corsair H100i Pro Cooler, Samsung 860 EVO, Toshiba M.2 512 GB, Gigabyte RTX 2070 Super Gaming OC

system memory usage is around 11 gb, cpu load ~14% when it freezes.

Have attached the only log I could find. If there are others let me know where to find them.

Thanks in advance for suggestions / help

edit 1; I've only tried the instant action missions, either plane, same thing

dcs.zip

Edited by mthatdan

aka Badger

X570 Aorus Master, Ryzen 3700X @3.8, 32GB DDR4@3200,RTX1070 Super, GTX 1070Ti, Win 10 Home, HOTAS Cougar, and some other DoDads

Welcome to the forum and welcome to DCS World!

A few more questions so more of the folks can help you out. It looks like you have specs that should be able to run DCS in high settings without these hiccups.

Are you running any sort of overclock? Have you stressed tested these and are they stable? I ask because normally these cause hard-locks, and in some cases an overclock actually reduces game performance.

Does this happen only on DCS? do you have other games installed?

If you can post a screenshot of your settings as well?

i7 9700k@5.0 Ghz, 32gb DDR4-3200, Maximus XI Formula, Asus Strix GTX 1080ti, 1TB NVMe Samsung 970 Evo, 1TB Samsung 860 Evo Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, TM Warthog, MFG Crosswind Graphite Black, Wheelstandpro Warthog Deluxe V2, TrackIR 5 Pro. ROG Swift PG278Q 2560x1440, 12" Eyoyo LCD 1366x768 for TM Cougar MFDs.

That’s the proper log. FYI you do have at least one mod. Glamorous glen cockpit mod.

Anyway. Sounds like a GPU issue. Are you over clocking the card? I don’t have your card. I’m running the RX 5700. But when I am trying to push the MHZ up but don’t add enough power to keep up, I get a hard crash that has to be reset. Very fine line trying to keep temps down but you have to give it the juice. It could also be a overheat issue on the GPU or CPU.

Your settings indicate you are not running in full screen, and you have civilian traffic on high. Civilian traffic taxes the system pretty hard. Also maybe your system doesn’t like not running the monitor at a non native resolution. Try full screen.

How many watts is your power supply?

Thanks for the replies;

Thanks for the welcome.

I am not over-clocking anything other than I have enabled XMP mode for ram.

The only other game I have installed is a pretty old flight sim so, it runs fine.

I will post a screen shot of settings when I get home later today.

When I went to settings, it was on high and that's where I left it.

If the Glamorous glen cockpit is a mod, it comes with the base install as I added nothing.

I'm not over-clocking anything. I don't remember what the temps were exactly but, they were actually well with in normal range. I'll monitor and record.

Although civilian traffic is on, I haven't seen any.

My monitor (TV) is set for native resolution and the sim runs at full screen even with the box unchecked. I will check the box and see what happens.

PS listed in specs is 850 watts.

I won't be clocking down the CPU or RAM.

1) don't know how to safely

2) shouldn't be necessary

Running at stock speeds should not cause issues, IMHO.

aka Badger

X570 Aorus Master, Ryzen 3700X @3.8, 32GB DDR4@3200,RTX1070 Super, GTX 1070Ti, Win 10 Home, HOTAS Cougar, and some other DoDads

• ED Team

Hi and welcome to the forum and DCS.

Please ensure your GPU has the latest driver and ensure windows is upto date.

Then go here C:\Users\Dan\Saved Games\DCS\

Delete your metashader and fxo folder

restart DCS and try to load a mission

Please note the first load will take longer as the fxo and metashader folder is being populated again.

Let us know if it helps.

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

Update for MB was available, updated.

No new windows updates available

Have most current nVidia driver installed

Deleted metashare and fxo folders

problem persists.

screen shot of settings:

MSJ8NDY.jpg

aka Badger

Sorry to hear your have problems mthatdan.

I would monitor your hardware very closely for heat etc.

Perhaps download one of the many graphic test programs and see if they run and or crash your pc too. Something that will really push your pc hardware to the max like DCS can and does.

HWMonitor

https://benchmarks.ul.com/3dmark

https://www.maxon.net/en/products/cinebench-r20-overview/

Many more of these out there for GPU / CPU

Redo all drivers and check how old your motherboard bios is and if there is any major updates.

Strip GPU down using DDU uninstaller

https://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html

Things I've see at work

Faulty Power supply when a little stressed.

Faulty ram model, run all day then bam all of a sudden.

i7-7700K OC @ 5Ghz | ASUS IX Hero MB | ASUS GTX 1080 Ti STRIX | 32GB Corsair 3000Mhz | Corsair H100i V2 Radiator | Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe 500G SSD | Samsung 850 EVO 500G SSD | Corsair HX850i Platinum 850W | Oculus Rift | ASUS PG278Q 27-inch, 2560 x 1440, G-SYNC, 144Hz, 1ms | VKB Gunfighter Pro

Chuck's DCS Tutorial Library

Download PDF Tutorial guides to help get up to speed with aircraft quickly and also great for taking a good look at the aircraft available for DCS before purchasing. Link

Your card can handle those settings no problem. You should be able to max out most settings just fine. My RX5700 is the same class or tier of card as yours. I have everything maxed except for civilian traffic and get 90+ FPS, and my card runs about 68C with the stock fan and slight over clock.

So, you either have a heating issue, core speed vs. power issue, or ram clock issue. If your processor is only putting out 14% then there is an issue with hardware. This is a CPU intensive game. My GPU averages around 90% and my processor averages 60%. I know that with mine, granted different brand, had to have the base clock raised from 750 MHz to 900mhz and at least the same percentage more in Mv added to the base clock plus the same percentage added along the whole power curve to be stable on DCS.

Sorry to hear your have problems mthatdan.

I would monitor your hardware very closely for heat etc.

Perhaps download one of the many graphic test programs and see if they run and or crash your pc too. Something that will really push your pc hardware to the max like DCS can and does.

HWMonitor

https://benchmarks.ul.com/3dmark

https://www.maxon.net/en/products/cinebench-r20-overview/

Many more of these out there for GPU / CPU

Redo all drivers and check how old your motherboard bios is and if any major updates.

Strip GPU down using DDU uninstaller

https://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html

Things I've see at work

Faulty Power supply when a little stressed.

Faulty ram model, run all day then bam all of a sudden.

That was another question I asked but haven’t heard back from him. The power supply. I think with a 2070 you probably need a minimum of a 600W. Higher would be better.

Guys, thanks for all the suggestions.

As i said earlier, there was a bios update for my MB, just released yesterday so, I updated that.

As far as stress testing; I've run about an hour (20 loops) of memtest64 with no errors. I know it should run longer for more accurate results but...

3DMark score is 22403 with GPU temp of 61 seems pretty good to me

Cinebench15 is similar good score with low temp

Running MSI afterburner and system monitor in the backround while running DCS shows nothing abnormal when freeze/crash happens.

Although a bit random here is what happens; I start the instant mission with the 51D, fly aroung for about 10 minutes, land and exit. start same mission again, after about 5 minutes of flight, system freezes. Have to push reset button for a hard reboot.

and yes power supply is 850 watts. :smilewink:

aka Badger

Then I think maybe the answer is the 51D module. There are a lot of error codes for the module in your log file.

Similar crashes with the fogfoot too..

aka Badger

Hopefully you get it worked out. I’ve never flown the free modules so not sure sure if there is any thing specific you can do. I’m sure it’s a setting on your system somewhere. DCS is very stable on my system unless I tweak the over clock outside of parameters. Which has nothing to do with DCS. Occasionally we get patches that break a module that will cause hard crashing but it gets fixed the next patch. But I haven’t seen any other threads since the last patch that are saying either of those modules are causing hard crashes. Doesn’t mean it’s not posted I’ve just not seen it.

Good luck.

just guessing, but which windows 10 version are you running?

I ask because I have DCS currently installed on two different systems that are on the hardware side pretty stable, but one is running on the recent windows 10 1903 release version - and there I get constant freezes and system hangs / DCS crashes while the other one still running windows 10 1809 is super stable. Both DCS are the most recent open beta release ...

The unstable sys has Nvidia GTX780 SC2 card with the most recent driver the other runs AMD Vega 64 ... maybe there is a problem with DCS in latest Windows combined with latest Nvidia drivers?

Primary for DCS and other flightsims: i9 12900K@default OC on MSI Z790 Tomahawk (MS-7D91) | 64 GB DDR5-5600 | Asus TUF RTX3090 Gaming OC | 1x 38"@3840x1600 | 1x 27"@2560x1440 | Windows10Pro64

Spoiler

Secondary: i7 11700k@5.1GHz on MSI Z590 Gaming Force MB| 64 GB DDR4-3200 | PowerColor RX6900XTU Red Devil | 1x 32"@2560*1440 + 1x24"@1980*1200 | Windows10Pro64

Backup: i7 6700K@4.8GHz | 64 GB DDR4-2400 | PowerColor RX5700XT Red Devil | SSD-500/1000GB | 1x49" 32:9 Asus X49VQ 3840x1080 | Windows10Pro64

Flightsim Input Devices: VPC: ACE2 Rudder / WarBRD Base / T-50CM2 Base with 50mm ext. / Alpha-R, Mongoos T-50CM, WarBRD and VFX Grip / T-50CM3 Throttle | VPC Sharka-50 + #2 Controle Panel | TM Cougar MFD-Frames| Rift S - Secondary: TM HOTAS WARTHOG/Cougar Throttle+Stick, F-18-Grip | TM TPR Rudder | DelanClip/PS3-CAM IR-Tracker

Another thing to look at is page file setting, it may be set manually too low or on a failing harddrive.

Ryzen 1700 @ 3.8GHz / 32GB( 4x8 ) @ 3.2GHz / 1TB ADATA NVMe System Drive / 232GB NVMe Samsung 960 / ASUS dual RTX 2080ti / Reverb / Rift CV1 / T-16000M FCS flight pack

A10C/M2000C/F5E/SA342/Mi8/UH1H/KA50/AJS-37/FA-18C/AV-8B/F-14/Mig29/CA/SU-27

I settled with 500MHz less cpu clock and down clock my 3.2Ghz memory to 3Ghz. No more error or restart. I had my ryzen1700CPU pushed at 8.5Ghz. When i tried reverb the first time it pushed my cpu to the edge and errors out til’ I corrupted my already bad cloned OS. After OS reinstall it is stable at 8Ghz and 3Ghz memory.

Ryzen 1700 @ 3.8GHz / 32GB( 4x8 ) @ 3.2GHz / 1TB ADATA NVMe System Drive / 232GB NVMe Samsung 960 / ASUS dual RTX 2080ti / Reverb / Rift CV1 / T-16000M FCS flight pack

A10C/M2000C/F5E/SA342/Mi8/UH1H/KA50/AJS-37/FA-18C/AV-8B/F-14/Mig29/CA/SU-27

Today I found an update for .net installed it and also system setting I changed the aspect ratio from 1.7777777 (which seemed really odd) to 16:9 Seem to be on my way now.

Fingers crossed. :thumbup:

aka Badger

Do you use Track IR mthatdan? Drivers updated to the latest?

Do a test and turn off / unplug track ir. I have seen that here before a long time ago with Tir, it was playing up with DCS. (OLD drivers)

Update sound drivers just to be sure.

That's all I can think of to try, it's a weird one for sure. I play with many people online and haven't seen it.

i7-7700K OC @ 5Ghz | ASUS IX Hero MB | ASUS GTX 1080 Ti STRIX | 32GB Corsair 3000Mhz | Corsair H100i V2 Radiator | Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe 500G SSD | Samsung 850 EVO 500G SSD | Corsair HX850i Platinum 850W | Oculus Rift | ASUS PG278Q 27-inch, 2560 x 1440, G-SYNC, 144Hz, 1ms | VKB Gunfighter Pro

Chuck's DCS Tutorial Library

Download PDF Tutorial guides to help get up to speed with aircraft quickly and also great for taking a good look at the aircraft available for DCS before purchasing. Link

I do use Trak IR5 with pro clip, the software is version 5.4.2 from April 2016, nothing newer than that, AFAIK.

An update for sound drivers was just released, I'll get it installed tonight and test with Trak IR deactivated as well.

It's a weird one for sure and obviously something peculiar to my system. Maybe the newness of the X570 MB ..? there have been about 4 bios updates for it since released.

aka Badger

1. Afterburner is knowen to make problems, remove it and be sure there is no trace of it in Windows.

2. Remove your GPU driver and all traces of old drivers, use DDU for this, as normal uninstal aint enough.

3. You spec in first post, sayes you have OC "overcloked" GPU, dont its also knowen to give you troubles.

4. try and remove one of your RAM sticks, to see if your problem layes in a faulty stick..

Intel Core i7-6700K Cpu 4.00 GHz OC 4.8 GHz Water Cooled|32 GB DDR4 ram OC| Nvidia RTX 2080Ti| TrustMaster Warthog|Saitek Battle Pro Pedals | Logitec G13| Oculus Rift S :joystick:

I´m in for a ride, a VR ride:pilotfly:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCBX_-Hml7_7s1dggit_vGpA?view_as=public