[NO BUG] Jester in-flight INS alignment

mattag08

Would it be possible to add the ability for Jester to do an in-flight alignment?

I would be happy with a very crude solution even at this point. Something as simple as:

1. Use Jester menu to tell Jester to update the INS

2. Jester says, "roger that"

3. A couple button presses heard

4. INS is aligned perfectly

Just to illustrate the point, the F-14 squadron I am part of regularly does 2-3 hour missions each week. Because we don't have a perfect 1:1 ratio of pilots to RIOs usually at least 1 person (often more) will have to use Jester. The lack of this feature really hurts those that have to use Jester for these long missions. I'm sure we are not the only unit that conducts lengthy missions in the F-14.

Another anecdote, today I had a situation where I had been flying for only about 20 minutes and then got into two BVR engagements over about another 10 minutes. Afterward my INS showed an 8 NM error. I had no way to fix it other than to go land and get a new aircraft.

IMO, we don't need a realistic implementation at this point. Any implementation would be better than what we have now. It's frustrating to fly more than an hour with Jester because your position and datalink info gets so screwed up that it is not usable anymore. Depending on the mission you can almost become ineffective because of it.

Edited by IronMike

Flying the DCS: F-14B from Heatblur Simulations with Carrier Strike Group 2 and the VF-154 Black Knights!

I also own: Ka-50 2, A-10C, P-51D, UH-1H, Mi-8MTV2, FC3, F-86F, CA, Mig-15bis, Mig-21bis, F/A-18C, L-39, F-5E, AV-8B, AJS-37, F-16C, Mig-19P, JF-17, C-101, and CEII

Thank you for the suggestion. An in flight alignment is highly unrealistic and thus not an option unfortunately. Though giving Jester the ability to perform a nav fix is a good idea. I will add it to the list. As always, however, please understand that if we implement, we will implement it so that it works realistically. Giving Jester the ability to perfectly re-align the INS would give him an advantage over human RIOs and is generally not a path we want to take. Thank you for understanding.

Heatblur Simulations

Please feel free to contact me anytime, either via PM here, on the forums, or via email through the contact form on our homepage.

http://www.heatblur.com/

https://www.facebook.com/heatblur/

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry "in flight alignment" was the wrong terminology. I was referring to a updating the aircraft position via a fix of some sort. The ability to actually have Jester realign the INS on the ground would be very useful though for turn-and-burn sorties. Currently in MP, I have just given up and work around it by respawning in a new jet so I can have a properly aligned INS. In SP, you simply can't do missions like this at all.

Flying the DCS: F-14B from Heatblur Simulations with Carrier Strike Group 2 and the VF-154 Black Knights!

I also own: Ka-50 2, A-10C, P-51D, UH-1H, Mi-8MTV2, FC3, F-86F, CA, Mig-15bis, Mig-21bis, F/A-18C, L-39, F-5E, AV-8B, AJS-37, F-16C, Mig-19P, JF-17, C-101, and CEII

Doesn't Jester allign during startup after you shutdown?

Even if he does, this would not replace a in-flight nav-fix, because you need that to update your position on deep strike sort of missions and even if you come back to base to do rearming you don't want to shutdown the aircraft and perform a whole new alignment instead of just doing a quick nav fix.

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg