[RESOLVED]NDB ADF Issue on first flight after DCS Start

Shadow KT

Okey, here's the deal... when you launch DCS, if your first flight session includes flying a Huey, the ADF (NDB) will be broken and it will not point at the NDB for 95% of the time. The only way so far I have found to avoid that is to first tune the ADF to ANT, then select your frequency and then go back to ADF.

In any consequent flights ,after the first one, it seems to work as intended.

Here is a video: https://streamable.com/erwnz

Here is a track: [ATTACH]216420[/ATTACH]

Here is the mission: [ATTACH]216421[/ATTACH]

'Shadow'

Everybody gotta be offended and take it personally now-a-days

• ED Team

Thanks for the PM Shadow KT

nothing like a early morning UH-1H flight to get the day started :)

I have reported this issue.

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

• 2 months later...
Thanks for the PM Shadow KT

nothing like a early morning UH-1H flight to get the day started :)

I have reported this issue.

Thanks for the report.

But when is it going to be fixed?

The ADF is almost totally inop now, and it renders the Argo campaign which I'm trying to go through now mostly unplayable.

I made it through mission 1 because I could fly to Batumi on dead reckoning, but as the campaign progresses its no fun to keep doing that.

I have tested the Gazelle on the beacons of Batumi and Kobuleti, and they work nearly perfectly there.

The Huey ADF problem has been looming for a year minimum, already when I first tried Argo in start 2018,there were certain beacons not working, now it is almost all of them the Huey ADF cannot see.

Hoping it will be prioritized soon, so that one can go through the campaign in a proper manner again.

PS: I have been trying the fix with flying again in a second session, it doesn't work here. The ADF stays inop or swinging the needle.

PPS:

A propos:

Similar bug report from March 2018.. :

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=3552038&postcount=6

One more edit:

After some testing, I found that the outer and inner NDB at Kobuleti seems to work in many different other aircraft.

Secondly I found that the outer NDB, at 870MHz, seems to somewhat work in the Huey if I switch off "Easy Communication".

Several other beacons seems to start to work too, but not all.

The inner beacon at Kobuleti at 490MHz has always been troublesome, and it seems very buggy still.

Only one time out of 5-6 attempts did I get it to work.

I hope this can help to track down the issue.

This bug really needs to be fixed, so that one can rely on the system again.

Edit 2:

Some more testing revealed that the the Huey seems to have wrong altitude and/or terrain masking data for receiving NDBs.

I tested flying out of Batumi, tuned in to the inner NDB on Kobuleti at 490MHz.

Testing with the Gazelle, it received the signal from around 80-100m (300-400ft) altitude around Batumi.

The Huey only received the signal from >1500ft altitude and up, even out over the sea.

This was tested flying up and down, the find where the limit was.

That's the best I can do.

Now the developers needs to look into what goes wrong.

Thanks.

Edited by Sporg
More testing after all.

System specs:

Gigabyte Aorus Master, i7 9700K@std, GTX 1080TI OC, 32 GB 3000 MHz RAM, NVMe M.2 SSD, Oculus Quest VR (2x1600x1440)

Warthog HOTAS w/150mm extension, Slaw pedals, Gametrix Jetseat, TrackIR for monitor use

• ED Team

Hi Sporg,

I have asked for an update on this issue,

I can not promise anything, but if I get any feedback I will pass it on.

thank you

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

Hi Sporg,

I have asked for an update on this issue,

I can not promise anything, but if I get any feedback I will pass it on.

thank you

Thanks BigNewy

Let's hope they take notice and find a fix once and for all. :)

System specs:

Gigabyte Aorus Master, i7 9700K@std, GTX 1080TI OC, 32 GB 3000 MHz RAM, NVMe M.2 SSD, Oculus Quest VR (2x1600x1440)

Warthog HOTAS w/150mm extension, Slaw pedals, Gametrix Jetseat, TrackIR for monitor use

• ED Team

Hi all

It seems that signal strength is not enough for ADF to determine direction, but enough to hear Morse code

Please check ADF frequency with the Morse code to be sure ADF is tuned to desirable beacon

Hi all

It seems that signal strength is not enough for ADF to determine direction, but enough to hear Morse code

Please check ADF frequency with the Morse code to be sure ADF is tuned to desirable beacon

Well, does the Huey have a particularly weak ADF?

Since the other aircraft I tried did not behave the same way?

(Gazelle, L-39, C-101)

Also, I tuned in to the beacon by flying close to it, then extended to Batumi without touching the ADF, to see where it actually cut out.

To me it also does not make sense that over the sea, with line of sight to the beacon, I still needed to get over 1500 feet altitude to get direction?

The other aircraft would catch it at a few hundred feet altitude, even while still over Batumi?

Thanks for investigating by the way.

System specs:

• ED Team

It seems you have to be very precise with the dial, make sure you have the Morse code and it should be ok.

I do have a report open still at the moment and feeding back to the dev.

thanks

It seems you have to be very precise with the dial, make sure you have the Morse code and it should be ok.

I do have a report open still at the moment and feeding back to the dev.

thanks

Thanks.

What I mean is, I was very precise with the dial, and identified the right beacon, also from morse code.

But its behavior in the Huey is different than in the other aircraft.

It loses directional ability much closer to the beacon than in the other aircraft.

As I described above.

Also, should the needle jump when it doesn't have proper directional ability? Because that happens as well.

System specs:

Seems like one of the latest updates has fixed the initially reported issue by me, as well as the search and landing light now do actually have a light (all thought how effective is that light with the horrendous lighting system in DCS is a different topic).

The initial issue could have easily been identified with starting the Free Flight mission for the Huey on Caucasus, dialing the nearest NDB (435kHz) and not getting a signal, but that now seems to work.

A workaround for the bug used to be to start a mission with an Mi-8 prior (The Mi-8 free flight mission, for example and use the ADF on it, then the huey one would work)

'Shadow'

Everybody gotta be offended and take it personally now-a-days

• ED Team
Seems like one of the latest updates has fixed the initially reported issue by me, as well as the search and landing light now do actually have a light (all thought how effective is that light with the horrendous lighting system in DCS is a different topic).

The initial issue could have easily been identified with starting the Free Flight mission for the Huey on Caucasus, dialing the nearest NDB (435kHz) and not getting a signal, but that now seems to work.

A workaround for the bug used to be to start a mission with an Mi-8 prior (The Mi-8 free flight mission, for example and use the ADF on it, then the huey one would work)

Good to hear the initial problem is fixed.

From speaking with the dev he says it seems to be working as intended now, you have to be very precise with your dial, and make sure you have a good signal for the morse code.

Thanks

Good to hear the initial problem is fixed.

From speaking with the dev he says it seems to be working as intended now, you have to be very precise with your dial, and make sure you have a good signal for the morse code.

Thanks

Thanks BigNewy

I'll test again and see if I can get it to work now.

FWIW I have been very precise with the dial (I can turn mechanical clicks off on my mousewheel, so the wheel moves freely), but I'll give it a go again.

Edit:

Okay, I tested again, and it seems to work now.

I don't know if something was done on your side, but at least it seems to finally work.

Huey now picks up the 490 MHz beacon as it should, >300 feet over Batumi.

Thanks for testing and guiding. :thumbup:

Edited by Sporg

System specs: