Documentary?

animaal

I'd love to see inside the sausage factory.

It'd be great to see a short documentary feature (maybe 30 mins) on the production of a DCS module. It could be released some time after the module has been completed, showing what went into its production.

I'm very curious to see things like:

- the internal discussion (or part of the discussion) to decide to implement that particular aircraft.

- Are there visits to museums to see the real-life aircraft? What's the reaction from the team seeing it for the first time?

- Maybe hear some of the discussion with the real-life experts who flew it. It would be interesting to hear their experiences.

- what does the designer/developer/modeller's desktop look like? What does (s)he actually see during development?

- a major problem that the developer/modeler experienced and is proud of solving. E.g. something with the flight model or weapons behaviour.

- the release of the module. Is there a little celebration?

This might not work well for a module with complex systems, like the Hornet or Viper - they get released in early access, with continuous improvements and features over an extended period. Maybe something like the F-5 or Mig-19 would be more suitable, where they're released more or less feature complete. Then, some time after release, it would be fantastic to have a short feature made available.

I can see reasons why this may not be realistic. The developers have enough to be doing besides spending time explaining their work to a camera. There may be confidentiality issues with the development process. And maybe not everybody wants to be on camera. But as well as being interesting, could it be beneficial as a form of marketing?

Sinclair ZX Spectrum 48K, Kempston joystick Interface, Alba Cassette Recorder, Quickshot II Turbo Joystick

I'd love to see inside the sausage factory.

It'd be great to see a short documentary feature (maybe 30 mins) on the production of a DCS module. It could be released some time after the module has been completed, showing what went into its production.

I'm very curious to see things like:

- the internal discussion (or part of the discussion) to decide to implement that particular aircraft.

- Are there visits to museums to see the real-life aircraft? What's the reaction from the team seeing it for the first time?

- Maybe hear some of the discussion with the real-life experts who flew it. It would be interesting to hear their experiences.

- what does the designer/developer/modeller's desktop look like? What does (s)he actually see during development?

- a major problem that the developer/modeler experienced and is proud of solving. E.g. something with the flight model or weapons behaviour.

- the release of the module. Is there a little celebration?

This might not work well for a module with complex systems, like the Hornet or Viper - they get released in early access, with continuous improvements and features over an extended period. Maybe something like the F-5 or Mig-19 would be more suitable, where they're released more or less feature complete. Then, some time after release, it would be fantastic to have a short feature made available.

I can see reasons why this may not be realistic. The developers have enough to be doing besides spending time explaining their work to a camera. There may be confidentiality issues with the development process. And maybe not everybody wants to be on camera. But as well as being interesting, could it be beneficial as a form of marketing?

It would indeed consume some valuable time, but on the other hand, for some users it would probably also create better understanding/more sympathy and would trigger them to think twice before placing frustrated posts about slow development.

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme - 650W PSU

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ That nuke might not have been the best of ideas, Sir... the enemy is furious ~ GUMMBAH

Haven’t really checked lately but a certain armored warfare “sim” used to do a regular series of “Developer’s Diary” interviews that were quite informative, entertaining and educational about all aspects of that product’s ongoing development.

I agree with animaal on the point about delivery of some “A HA!” Moments.

Might be time to pack Glowing Amraam up with his gear and produce some “Get To Know ED” segments.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

http://www.476vfightergroup.com/content.php

High Quality Aviation Photography For Personal Enjoyment And Editorial Use.

www.crosswindimages.com