We have simple reconnaissance now?

Knock-Knock

Was just fooling around with Fog of War map setting and noticed that when I had AI planes fly over an airbase in this case, which had various point defenses, units and statics, that these would appear on the map. Emitters would show sooner and you didnt have to fly right overhead. But for the statics, units and point defenses, you had to be pretty much on top - couple hundred meters cone.

The slower you/ai was, the more 'detail'. Altitude didnt seem to have to big an impact - I tried from 300 to 10k feet. Well, emitters would appear sooner (or further away) the higher the altitude.

Setting task to reconnaissance didnt seem to impact the result either. Had the same results with a Viggen set to nothing and reconnaissance, and a F-5E at nothing. Well never the same results, it varies a little. Same condition, reloaded mission, slightly different results.

They dont stay visible for long though. About 5-10 minutes. All units and statics were stationary in my test here.

I had noticed that Awacs for example, in Fog of War, would pop various units, usually emitters, so that led me to try this, see if it made a difference, and it sure did. Just wish the stationary stuff would remain visible, since they have been detected now.

Or maybe this is old news, and I have just been under a rock :)

- Jack of many DCS modules, master of none.

- Personal wishlist: F-15A, F-4S Phantom II, JAS 39A Gripen, SAAB 35 Draken, F-104 Starfighter, Panavia Tornado IDS.

| Windows 11 | i5-12400 | 64Gb DDR4 | RTX 3080 | 2x M.2 | 27" 1440p | Rift CV1 | Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS | MFG Crosswind pedals |

The Fog of War option works like this for as long as I can remember. It not just works with AI aircraft (or other units), but AFAIK it also with player aircraft, meaning that if you fly over enemy ground units someone in the obsevrer slot would see those enemy ground units appear on the map.

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

The Fog of War option works like this for as long as I can remember. It not just works with AI aircraft (or other units), but AFAIK it also with player aircraft, meaning that if you fly over enemy ground units someone in the obsevrer slot would see those enemy ground units appear on the map.

Oh Ok.

During my test I was just sitting in my own plane (on ramp) and looking at the map while an immortal AI blasted over an airbase and various SAM sites, and uncovered those.

So I guess one could do the pass, get to safety (out of range) - hit the autopilot if available, and then jump into the map and quickly throw some map marks around. Or have a buddy mark'em.

- Jack of many DCS modules, master of none.

- Personal wishlist: F-15A, F-4S Phantom II, JAS 39A Gripen, SAAB 35 Draken, F-104 Starfighter, Panavia Tornado IDS.

| Windows 11 | i5-12400 | 64Gb DDR4 | RTX 3080 | 2x M.2 | 27" 1440p | Rift CV1 | Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS | MFG Crosswind pedals |