Steam VR Freezing During DCS Gameplay.

Tinkickef

Since last DCS update.

During gameplay, at times the tracking stutters and starts getting worse. Eventually it will flicker back to the steam VR loading screen - the one with the lines, Aurora and mountains for a fraction of a second. Maybe every five minutes or so, usually when moving my head to look somewhere else.

Only for a fraction of a second.

Eventually the tracking will freeze permanently, so the cockpit follows your head movement.

On removing the headset, the message "steam VR has encountered a problem" or some such with the option of exiting steam VR is on the screen.

Metashaders and FXO have all been recompiled since last update.

Edited by Tinkickef

System spec: i9 9900K, Gigabyte Aorus Z390 Ultra motherboard, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200 RAM, Corsair M.2 NVMe 1Tb Boot SSD. Seagate 1Tb Hybrid mass storage SSD. ASUS RTX2080TI Dual OC, Thermaltake Flo Riing 360mm water pumper, EVGA 850G3 PSU. HP Reverb, TM Warthog, Crosswind pedals, Buttkicker Gamer 2.

Difficult to put a finger on what is causing this. There has definitely been some issues since two updates back.

The tracking, aurora and mountain thing happens quite frequently here with me . I thought my room lighting was bad but it has been same lighting condition when the headset performed well.

I have revert to non beta steamVR and while this helped with fps gain but I fight tracking issues as pointed out here in the OP.

Windows 10 Pro 64bit|Ryzen 5600 @3.8Ghz|EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 Ultra|Corair vengence 32G DDR4 @3200mhz|MSI B550|Thrustmaster Flightstick| Virpil CM3 Throttle| Thrustmaster TFRP Rudder Pedal /Samsung Odyssey Plus Headset

Since last DCS update.

During gameplay, at times the tracking stutters and starts getting worse. Eventually it will flicker back to the steam VR loading screen - the one with the lines, Aurora and mountains for a fraction of a second. Maybe every five minutes or so, usually when moving my head to look somewhere else.

Only for a fraction of a second.

At least in the SteamVR Beta you can stop this switching to the grid. There is an option in the Developer section. It has to be turned ON (checked).

LmdMj8R.png

German Squadron "Serious Uglies"

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Skyfire

Intel 10700K | SSD for system and DCS | 32 Gb RAM | Gigabyte Aorus RTX 3080 | HP Reverb G2

Whilst the drop to the SteamVR “safe space” is annoying when it happens, it’s usually better than the jarring double vision or tearing that I saw when i enabled the option above. My rift used to behave during loading screens, or when intensive scripts were triggered for split seconds just like it. I’ve re-enabled it after trying it for a couple of weeks.

Intel i9-9900KF @5.2GHz

MSI Z390 Gaming Pro Carbon

32GB G.Skill Trident Z DDR3200 RAM

MSI RTX 2080 Ti Gaming X Trio

40" Panasonic TH-40DX600U @ 4K

Pimax Vision 8K Plus / Oculus Rift CV1 / HTC Vive

Gametrix JetSeat with SimShaker

Windows 10 64 Bit Home Edition

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I can confirm that I have the exact same issue since about two DCS version ago (beta included). Also when looking either left or right while flying I see a constant micro freeze every few seconds which is annoying as well. Do you get this also?

It must be the update before the last from what you have all said. This is because I declined the first update at the time and the second update appeared later.

So I downloaded both at the same time.

Bugger. My Reverb was working flawlessly too.

Does anyone know if this has been reported?

System spec: i9 9900K, Gigabyte Aorus Z390 Ultra motherboard, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200 RAM, Corsair M.2 NVMe 1Tb Boot SSD. Seagate 1Tb Hybrid mass storage SSD. ASUS RTX2080TI Dual OC, Thermaltake Flo Riing 360mm water pumper, EVGA 850G3 PSU. HP Reverb, TM Warthog, Crosswind pedals, Buttkicker Gamer 2.

There has been an update release by steam to steamVR noting some setting done to cpu throttling. They specifically mentioned it addresses resent problems in dcs.

I believe this could be the culprit.

https://steamcommunity.com/games/250820/announcements/detail/1599262707997233111

Windows 10 Pro 64bit|Ryzen 5600 @3.8Ghz|EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 Ultra|Corair vengence 32G DDR4 @3200mhz|MSI B550|Thrustmaster Flightstick| Virpil CM3 Throttle| Thrustmaster TFRP Rudder Pedal /Samsung Odyssey Plus Headset

There has been an update release by steam to steamVR noting some setting done to cpu throttling. They specifically mentioned it addresses resent problems in dcs.

I believe this could be the culprit.

https://steamcommunity.com/games/250820/announcements/detail/1599262707997233111

Unfortunately that fix only applies to Vive ect.

• 2 weeks later...
Whilst the drop to the SteamVR “safe space” is annoying when it happens, it’s usually better than the jarring double vision or tearing that I saw when i enabled the option above. My rift used to behave during loading screens, or when intensive scripts were triggered for split seconds just like it. I’ve re-enabled it after trying it for a couple of weeks.

I began having this exact issue today with my Index after changing settings in Nvidia CP. I turned on AA to enhance application which turned on 2X AA in the CP, also turned on MFAA. I immediately noticed a shimmer on the base stations in the loading screen. Afterwards, I started getting microstutters like mentioned above. And likewise my Rift used to do this on busy online servers. Now it does it while loaded a mission or loading DCS and in SP I get microstutters. Online I get the tearing where the whole scene freezes and follows my head motion. I reset NvCP to default. No luck. Went to SteamVR stable. No luck. Rolled back Nvidia drive to previous one. No luck. I should have left it alone as it had been rock stable and looking good at 45FPS lol.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Intel i9 9900K @ 5.1Ghz HT Disabled, Asus RoG Strix z390E Gaming, 64GB G.Skill Trident Z 3200, Asus RoG Strix RTX2080Ti OC @ 1.9Ghz, 1TB Samsung Evo 970Pro M.2 TM Warthog, CH Pro Pedals, Saitek Pro Rudder Pedals, Samsung 49" Curved Gaming Monitor, Samsung 50" 4KUHD TV, Acer 27" Touch Panel, CV1, Pimax 5K+, Valve Index, FSSB3 Lighting, F-16SGRH, 3 TM Cougar's and a Saitek X36 that I can't bring myself to part with.

• 3 weeks later...

It has quite been a messy experience the past few days with my O+. Stuttering, freezing, crashing like never before.

Then my system crashed after unresolved bsod.

Did a complete system restore to factory state and it has been same issue.

Hard to put my finger on what is wrong.

Tried Nvidia to default, windows mix reality steamVR beta/non beta, SteamVR beta/non beta all to no avail.

Is this general or just peculiar to me.

I am having gripe with the fact that these settings worked seamlessly on my system before.

This is a Mayday call, flying VR has become a serious addict for me.

Edited by Eaglewings

I have managed to figure out the cause of my recent freezes, stuttering and crashes in O+.

I noticed when I open just cliffhouse in wmr, there was same stuttering. So I thought this what is being translated into dcs world, in other words it was not a dcs issue.

I went into windows mix reality setting page and found out under experience option, my refresh was set to automatic, I changed it to 90hz and boom, all my previous game-play breaking problems went away.

I flew the first of Iron Eagle mission and this mission takes close to 2 hours to complete and no crash, no stuttering or jerky rendering anymore through out the whole time I flew that mission.

I thought it was to early to rejoice and send out words, I increased my dcs PD value to 1.3(old was 1.1), increased my graphic settings in dcs a bit, flew some more missions and all went well . Also tried some heavy missions with parked airfield and no ugly issue too.

So setting the frequency to 90hz in wmr setting has fixed the issues for me for now.

Enjoying the new experience so far.

I’m having the same issue but it only occurs on the loading screen. For example, I click on missions, f-18, case 1 landing... when the f-18 splash screen comes up I am getting bad flickering and double images. Once the mission loads everything works fine. I am having the same issue with other planes and on multiplayer servers as well.

I recently updated DCS OB, Steam VR Beta (1.8.6)and my Nvidia driver (436.30) and don’t know which one caused this issue. I have an RTX 2080, Samsung Odyssey Plus headset and 32gb Ram. Since this is only effecting my loading screen and not ingame experience, it’s not a major issue for me. But I wanted to report it because I’m sure others are having an issue with it.

I’m having the same issue but it only occurs on the loading screen. For example, I click on missions, f-18, case 1 landing... when the f-18 splash screen comes up I am getting bad flickering and double images. Once the mission loads everything works fine. I am having the same issue with other planes and on multiplayer servers as well.

I recently updated DCS OB, Steam VR Beta (1.8.6)and my Nvidia driver (436.30) and don’t know which one caused this issue. I have an RTX 2080, Samsung Odyssey Plus headset and 32gb Ram. Since this is only effecting my loading screen and not ingame experience, it’s not a major issue for me. But I wanted to report it because I’m sure others are having an issue with it.

I get the new flickering/double screen too in the new steamVR beta and I guess that is intended.

The flickering screen/double came recently with steamVR beta update and there was a reference to it in one of their update news.

The current flickering light intensity during loading to 3d environment is much reduced compared to previous which had concerns of being discomforting.

Been testing even more, reinstalled etc. Same issues and only in DCS. In a plane everything is fine. DCS is almost unplayable at the moment!
What Hmd are you using Kega76?

I got pass my issues with changing the frequency to 90hz. It has been smooth running ever since.

Hi, I’m using the Reverb. Got a new one today and sending back the “old” one. The new pair doesn’t even work. Get stuck with a 1-4 error in WMR connect your cable. Hav tried all the fixes I can find to no use so far... So at the moment, no VR the day the F-16 releases!

Hi, I’m using the Reverb. Got a new one today and sending back the “old” one. The new pair doesn’t even work. Get stuck with a 1-4 error in WMR connect your cable. Hav tried all the fixes I can find to no use so far... So at the moment, no VR the day the F-16 releases!
Whow! What a let down. I get it pain.

Little worries, the Viper will always be there when you get the issues resolved soonest I hope.

What Hmd are you using Kega76?

I got pass my issues with changing the frequency to 90hz. It has been smooth running ever since.

I had crashes about 4 minutes of DCS (Access violation d3d.dll etc) tried everything i read and remember, disabled OC/enabled CPU OC, Drivers updates, SteamVR re-install, and then changed my Index refresh rate from 120hz to 90hz and did a smooth flight without problems. So simple and it tooked 3 weeks to find... So, everyone running a VR headseat with refresh rate in options (like the Index) try this fix.

Tale care,

F.

- "Don't be John Wayne in the Break if you´re going to be Jerry Lewis on the Ball".

About carrier ops: "The younger pilots are still quite capable of holding their heads forward against the forces. The older ones have been doing this too long and know better; sore necks make for poor sleep.'

PC: I7 4790K 4.6ghz | 32GB RAM | Zotac GTX 1080Ti 11Gb DDR5x | Water cooler NZXT AIO Kraken x53 | 3.5TB (x4 SSD´s) | Valve Index| Andre´s JeatSeat.

I had crashes about 4 minutes of DCS (Access violation d3d.dll etc) tried everything i read and remember, disabled OC/enabled CPU OC, Drivers updates, SteamVR re-install, and then changed my Index refresh rate from 120hz to 90hz and did a smooth flight without problems. So simple and it tooked 3 weeks to find... So, everyone running a VR headseat with refresh rate in options (like the Index) try this fix.

Tale care,

F.

Glad it worked out for you too. I understand how frustrating it is searching for solution in the wrong place.

• 2 weeks later...
Glad it worked out for you too. I understand how frustrating it is searching for solution in the wrong place.

Well, after a couple of days the problem came back. But, i found the fix, at least for me, i underclock my GPU to factory default (Zotac GTX 1080ti) because my GPU came with OC from factory default and i see some people get a stable environment by underclocking the GPU. Please anyone here try this fix and give feedback to see if it help. No more crashes for me since i underclock the GPU. It was the last thing i remember to do because i never thought that factory OC could unstable my GPU, in the other games never have this problem only in DCS (VR) and Elite Dangerous (VR).

Best regards,

F.

Edited by fagulha

- "Don't be John Wayne in the Break if you´re going to be Jerry Lewis on the Ball".

About carrier ops: "The younger pilots are still quite capable of holding their heads forward against the forces. The older ones have been doing this too long and know better; sore necks make for poor sleep.'

PC: I7 4790K 4.6ghz | 32GB RAM | Zotac GTX 1080Ti 11Gb DDR5x | Water cooler NZXT AIO Kraken x53 | 3.5TB (x4 SSD´s) | Valve Index| Andre´s JeatSeat.