MFD Mounting issues

skygunner58203

Hey all, Have a bit of an issue.

I have had a set of Cougar MFDs sitting around collecting dust. I FINALLY managed to get hold of a small-ish Element TV to use as a second monitor. I will eventually by getting a pair of smaller 8 inch displays, but for now this is what I got. What's the best way to mount these to the screen as well as be able to remove them easily?

I do have a 3d printer, but my ability to design parts is mostly limited to TinkerCAD and Thingiverse without a starting file. So if anyone has an stl or obj file I can alter to fit, that would work too.

I'd recommend having a look at onshape.com. It's a browser CAD program that's very easy to learn. Pretty basic but I think it will definitly be enough for what you are looking for. There is alot of tutorials on Youtube aswell.

I've done all my work on it, and you can export directly to .stl

I used stuff similar to blu-tack to put the MFD frames directly on the lower corners of the big monitor behind them.

Using the corners meant I could put blu-tack with no worries all over the external frame of the monitor, and just a bit over the panel to avoid damages.

I flew a lot of DCS like that, back on my A-10C days ;)

i5 8400 | 32 Gb RAM | RTX 2080Ti | Virpil Mongoose T-50 base w/ Warthog & Hornet sticks | Warthog throttle | Cougar throttle USB | Virpil desk mount | VKB T-Rudder Mk IV | Oculus Rift S | Buddy-Fox A-10 UFC | 3 TM MFDs | Realteus ForceFeel | 2x bass shakers | SIMple SIMpit chair | WinWing TakeOff panel | PointCTRL v2

FC3 - Warthog - F-5E - Harrier - Hornet - Tomcat - Huey - Viper - C-101 - NTTR - PG - Mi8 - SuperCarrier - Syria - Warthog II - Hind

I'm working on mounting 3 cougars to a 22" monitor and for that I have popped the little rubber screw covers off of each cougar, then over the screen I have a piece of 3mm clear acrylic. The acrylic is laser cut with mounting holes that line up with the mounting holes through the cougars. I will then use a soldering iron to install brass M3 threaded inserts into the holes in the acrylic, and then screw the cougars in place. I'm taking the bezel off the monitor and mounting the acrylic to the bare lcd frame. I'm also planning on removing the back plate of the cougar so they mount more flush to the screen.

This might be over the top for your needs, but might give you some ideas.

I'm working on mounting 3 cougars to a 22" monitor and for that I have popped the little rubber screw covers off of each cougar, then over the screen I have a piece of 3mm clear acrylic. The acrylic is laser cut with mounting holes that line up with the mounting holes through the cougars. I will then use a soldering iron to install brass M3 threaded inserts into the holes in the acrylic, and then screw the cougars in place. I'm taking the bezel off the monitor and mounting the acrylic to the bare lcd frame. I'm also planning on removing the back plate of the cougar so they mount more flush to the screen.

This might be over the top for your needs, but might give you some ideas.

I did something similar but using Heli-coils instead of brass inserts, and just press fitting the acrylic in the monitor bezel. I cut it about 0.5mm wider and taller than the monitor bezel opening and it jammed nicely in there.

I did something similar but using Heli-coils instead of brass inserts, and just press fitting the acrylic in the monitor bezel. I cut it about 0.5mm wider and taller than the monitor bezel opening and it jammed nicely in there.

Interesting idea, I might experiment with that myself.

Well. I decided as a temporary thing to use TinkerCAD and a digital caliper to model a pair of mounts for the Cougar MFDs. My first run wasn't accurate as I had forgotten to zero my caliper before measuring. The second, however, was a nice and snug fit onto my monitor. The MFDs hang by the little hooks used to grab the legs. A bit of tack putty, and its nice, stable, and mounted to my screen.

Unfortunately, the RWR isn't exportable by normal means for the F-15C. HOWEVER! Cockpit++ actually connected to DCS with minimal fuss and put the RWR on an android tablet. Now if only UltraMFCD still worked....