Gladiator Mk II Enough To Start With?

Zulu111

I wanted to ask if the VKB Gladiator Mk II joystick is sufficient as a starting joystick to get flying in DCS. It seems to be a quality joystick that has all the basic flight controls and doesn't cost too much. I discovered the Gladiator Mk II while browsing through some X-Plane material and it seems to be rated well.

Thanks.

Any joystick (non arcade) would be enough for a start. But why not buy a Hotas for long term if you're sure enough with the hobby. I'd suggest CH Product, the price is nice, precise enough and arguably the most durable product I've ever had. Oh.... I almost forgot : its made in USA

Mastering others is strength. Mastering yourself is true power. - Lao Tze

I wanted to ask if the VKB Gladiator Mk II joystick is sufficient as a starting joystick to get flying in DCS. It seems to be a quality joystick that has all the basic flight controls and doesn't cost too much. I discovered the Gladiator Mk II while browsing through some X-Plane material and it seems to be rated well.

Thanks.

Hi, I use the VKB Gladiator Mk II joystick and really like it. It's well suited to the warbirds from the WWII era, being fashioned after the Luftwaffe KG12 stick, yet has enough on it to do the very basics for the modern era, at least for me. I am adding a throttle and pedals for that bit extra and want to be able to keep using the Gladiator as I like it so much. For the last few months its all I have had to use, coming from the Thrustmaster T16000m. For the asking price it is good value in my opinion. It all depends on your budget and what you want to achieve.

Rig: RTX 4080, 11th Gen Intel Core i7 11700K, 32GB DDR4 RAM, 3xSSD Drives, TM F/A18 Grip on Virpil WarBrd base, Honeycomb Bravo throttle, VKB-Sim T Rudder Pedals MkIV, Virpil MongoosT-50CM throttle, Varjo Aero.

Thanks.

I think the TM 16000 HOTAS would be a better choice: https://www.amazon.ca/Thrustmaster-663296420732-T16000M-FCS-Hotas/dp/B01KCHPRXA/ref=sr_1_3?crid=I9FAW6H29EG1&keywords=thrustmaster+hotas

Windows 10 64bit, Intel i9-9900@5Ghz, 32 Gig RAM, MSI RTX 3080 TI, 2 TB SSD, 43" 2160p@1440p monitor.

Of entry level joysticks (up to $100) Gladiator is the best option, being the main differential the use contactless sensor (MaRS) in X, Y and twist rudder axis. T16000M use contactless sensor (Hall) only in X, Y axis.

I have read comments about the TM T.16000M joystick breaking after only a few months of use. Weak gimbal joint?

T.16000M don't break physically (Warthog gimbal is that can break), what happens is that their twist rudder potentiometer worn out and cause headache, see in Reddit/hotas complains about. Reason for invest a it more in Gladiator twist rudder contacless sensor.

Gladiator grip, although based on German KG-12A 4 buttons grip, has more functionality that T.16000M 4 buttons + POV HAT grip, because Gladiator has "shift"button, making the a 8 buttons grip = 2 physical and 6 virtual, but their POV HAT is very awkward, and for modern jets you will want more buttons on stick.

One review I saw about the Gladiator Mk II seemed to indicate that it uses "contactless" sensors for the X, Y, and Z axis's. This goes a long way toward improving durability and movement control. Isn't this a very big selling point for the Gladiator Mk II?

Isn't this a very big selling point for the Gladiator Mk II?

Repeating myself: "Of entry level joysticks (up to $100) Gladiator is the best option, being the main differential the use contactless sensor (MaRS) in X, Y and twist rudder axis.

T16000M use contactless sensor (Hall) only in X, Y axis." Adding that T.16000M (option more close to Gladiator in price) use potentiometer in twist rudder (Z axis) that soon or later cause this:

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=4022218#post4022218

Plus, Gladiator use the best electronic controller used in joysticks, the same Njoy32 controller used in their rich cousin Gunfigther, with a high configurable firmware.

Edited by Sokol1_br

If you just want a stick, the Gladiator is the better choice.

But: a HOTAS is so much better than a single stick and the TM throttle has a rudder control too that I like much better than the twist on the stick. All imho, of course.

Windows 10 64bit, Intel i9-9900@5Ghz, 32 Gig RAM, MSI RTX 3080 TI, 2 TB SSD, 43" 2160p@1440p monitor.

The Warthog HOTAS has no analog rudder control, only the TM.16000 throttle has that. If you only fly jets, you can do without it. Warbirds and helos on the other hand very much need an analog rudder control.

The Warthog HOTAS has no analog rudder control, only the TM.16000 throttle has that. If you only fly jets, you can do without it. Warbirds and helos on the other hand very much need an analog rudder control.

Thank you for the reminder.

Yes, I guess I will have to go "whole hog" and get the Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS plus rudders.

Hmmm, no point in resisting the inevitable ... Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS it is over the Gladiator Mk II or TM T.16000M.

Of course, in features and price. :D

But if price is not problem, give a look in VKB and VirPil options. Maybe this avoid want upgrade again latter. ;)

For example you can get T50CM or WarBRD base from VirPil and Warthog grip only from Thrustmaster (seems ~$180 now) and combine both.

Edited by Sokol1_br

But if price is not problem, give a look in VKB and VirPil options. Maybe this avoid want upgrade again latter. ;)

For example you can get T50CM or WarBRD base from VirPil and Warthog grip only from Thrustmaster (seems ~$180 now) and combine both.

I have seen comments that both the VKB and VirPil products are hard to buy and subject to long wait times for delivery. I even heard VirPil doesn't even have a North American based distributor. Is all this true?

- Another "budget" option (that is really becoming oxymoron) is TM Throttle and VKB/Virpil controller. As VPC throttle costs nearly as much as whole TM's HOTAS

- or TM HOTAS plus VPC WarBRD base as the difference in price for TM Throttle and HOTAS is roughly the price of the VPC's premium grip, thus you already have the grip that some people prefer and need just a good base.

and so on. Fair number of combinations if someone is not about to pay full price for full Rudder + Throttle + Controller combo manufactured by premium companies (and TM is not anymore in that class)

Any joystick (non arcade) would be enough for a start. But why not buy a Hotas for long term if you're sure enough with the hobby. I'd suggest CH Product, the price is nice, precise enough and arguably the most durable product I've ever had. Oh.... I almost forgot : its made in USA

X2 You can't go wrong with CH Product and many good deals on ebay

Marc..