Do your wings break easier swept or unswept

Love_Beam

Logic would dictate that swept wings would be more resilient to snapping off with G than un-swept...but the way HB have implemented it is anyones guess. I am sure they have drawn upon their 'SMEs' input and experience regarding snapping off their wings in flight so they have some good realistic data to work with.

If not, I would be interested to see the fatigue tables and possible FEA data/stress analysis calcs they have used to determine the failure of the wing structure.

Asus Maximus VIII Hero Alpha| i7-6700K @ 4.60GHz | nVidia GTX 1080ti Strix OC 11GB @ 2075MHz| 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200Mhz DDR4 CL14 |

Samsung 950 PRO 512GB M.2 SSD | Corsair Force LE 480GB SSD | Windows 10 64-Bit | TM Warthog with FSSB R3 Lighting Base | VKB Gunfighter Pro + MCG | TM MFD's | Oculus Rift S | Jetseat FSE

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

You need to have the ability to pull, let's say, 12+ G to get the wings to come off. Aerodynamics does not let you do that when you are slow (say Mach 0.7 and below), which is also when your wings are forward, so I imagine it's easier to screw up and snap the wings when they are swept back.

uh... what a strange question. It's like asking how big of a crater can you make crashing your plane.

I snapped my wings one so far while trying to get jiggy with an amraam, but only because I am not flying it for real (and because it is a tomcat) that I was able to do this.

Is there any record of an actual pilot snapping it's wings?

METEOP

i5-6600K OC@4.5Ghz, GTX 1070 OC, 32Gb RAM, M.2 NVMe SSD

Warthog HOTAS, Saitek Rudder Pro, Trackhat Clip, 1080p projector, Custom touchscreen rig, Ikarus touchscreen panel, Voice Attack, ReShade, Simshaker Aviator

You need to have the ability to pull, let's say, 12+ G to get the wings to come off. Aerodynamics does not let you do that when you are slow (say Mach 0.7 and below), which is also when your wings are forward, so I imagine it's easier to screw up and snap the wings when they are swept back.

Fair point, as I mentioned I would be interested to see the specific manufacturer stress reports that deal with this situation. I regularly refer to Lockheed stress reports for several aircraft day to day but don't have access to Grumman ones. I am sure all the loads were meticulously calculated during initial design.

Asus Maximus VIII Hero Alpha| i7-6700K @ 4.60GHz | nVidia GTX 1080ti Strix OC 11GB @ 2075MHz| 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200Mhz DDR4 CL14 |

Samsung 950 PRO 512GB M.2 SSD | Corsair Force LE 480GB SSD | Windows 10 64-Bit | TM Warthog with FSSB R3 Lighting Base | VKB Gunfighter Pro + MCG | TM MFD's | Oculus Rift S | Jetseat FSE

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Enough pressure on the wings from extreme lift forces would snap the internal wing structure, so in whatever position where you are able to go past its extreme point. You will be more likely to snap it when more swept because of less distribution of lift forces on the body of the wing, meaning less wing area.

Fair point, as I mentioned I would be interested to see the specific manufacturer stress reports that deal with this situation. I regularly refer to Lockheed stress reports for several aircraft day to day but don't have access to Grumman ones. I am sure all the loads were meticulously calculated during initial design.

In this post:

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=4010511&postcount=10

you can find the link to one interesting doc.

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria