GTX 980 Superclocked

Corsair AX850w psu

Samsung 1 T M.2 2 X 850 ssd's

Sony 48 in HD TV

Trackir 5

Hotas Warthog F/A-18C Hornet Grip

Logitech Pro Peddles

Windows 10 64

The best way to find a ship is to use the Mk1 Eyeball, that is until we get surface radar. Looking through the pin hole that is TGP is just going to frustrate you and waste your time.

+1

Eyeball and then designate with the TGP

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Win10 64, Asus Maximus VIII Formula, i5 6600K, Geforce 980 GTX Ti, 32 GB Ram, Samsung EVO SSD.

I use VR (CV1). Don't personally seem to have much issue finding the ships, and use both Mk. I eyeballs and/or Litening pod. My preferred method is to scan with the eyes, looking for an irregularity with the water surface - then using the SA page to see where the TPOD is "looking" while using the FLIR optic of the pod, as it breaks up the image better with the contrast. Just flew Operation Snowfox for nearly 6 hours today, doing many landings and launches from the Stennis and was able to spot many surface contacts (ships and otherwise) via this method.

Are you using the "zoom" feature while using your VR? I use that quite often, for ground/surface or air targets/scanning and have it bound to my HOTAS. It is in the UI layer of the control settings.

Cheers,

Don

i7 6700 @4ghz, 32GB HyperX Fury ddr4-2133 ram, GTX980, Oculus Rift CV1, 2x1TB SSD drives (one solely for DCS OpenBeta standalone) Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Thrustmaster Cougar MFDs

Airframes: A10C, A10CII, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-16C, UH=1H, FC3. Modules: Combined Arms, Supercarrier. Terrains: Persian Gulf, Nevada NTTR, Syria

I use VR (CV1). Don't personally seem to have much issue finding the ships, and use both Mk. I eyeballs and/or Litening pod. My preferred method is to scan with the eyes, looking for an irregularity with the water surface - then using the SA page to see where the TPOD is "looking" while using the FLIR optic of the pod, as it breaks up the image better with the contrast. Just flew Operation Snowfox for nearly 6 hours today, doing many landings and launches from the Stennis and was able to spot many surface contacts (ships and otherwise) via this method.

Are you using the "zoom" feature while using your VR? I use that quite often, for ground/surface or air targets/scanning and have it bound to my HOTAS. It is in the UI layer of the control settings.

Cheers,

Don

I have the zoom mapped to HOTAS as well but don't use it as much as I should. I use SA and the Throttle Designator Controller - Depress, both help but I still have issues with co-ordinating what the SA and the Throttle Designator Controller - Depress show me and what I see on the TPOD.

I have the zoom mapped to HOTAS as well but don't use it as much as I should. I use SA and the Throttle Designator Controller - Depress, both help but I still have issues with co-ordinating what the SA and the Throttle Designator Controller - Depress show me and what I see on the TPOD.

A bearing display on the Litening pod screen would certainly be helpful, but for now using the degree offset (left and right) which is shown on the Litening pod screen can be helpful, understanding the offset L/R of the aircraft, and understanding that the "center line" of the display is essentially the center of the aircraft. Everything on the "upper half" of the screen is center line and forward, while everything on the "bottom half" of the screen is center line and aft. Do you know/realize that on the SA page, it has an icon similar to... II .... that represents where the tpod is looking? If you are able to see the contact on the SA page, air/ground/sea, try to put that icon directly over the top of the contact and then use TDC depress when they are overlaid, it will set a "target." Then on the HUD, it will give you a range to the target you just set. Unless you are several miles away from that target, it is easiest to gap yourself from said target and then get a good lineup/approach/wire to the target you just set. This will also display an small diamond on the hud where that target point was set (however with a moving target it won't necessarily update their point, even in point track there are limitations).

I, along with many others it seems, found this tutorial from Red Kite to be very informative:

Just trying to be of some help to you, in terms of translating/interpreting what the systems are displaying and tying those bits of information together.... Apologies if anything comes across the wrong way, seems I am sometimes misinterpreted. Not the intent. Hope something in there was helpful for you sir!

Cheers,

Don

i7 6700 @4ghz, 32GB HyperX Fury ddr4-2133 ram, GTX980, Oculus Rift CV1, 2x1TB SSD drives (one solely for DCS OpenBeta standalone) Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Thrustmaster Cougar MFDs

Airframes: A10C, A10CII, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-16C, UH=1H, FC3. Modules: Combined Arms, Supercarrier. Terrains: Persian Gulf, Nevada NTTR, Syria

A bearing display on the Litening pod screen would certainly be helpful, but for now using the degree offset (left and right) which is shown on the Litening pod screen can be helpful, understanding the offset L/R of the aircraft, and understanding that the "center line" of the display is essentially the center of the aircraft. Everything on the "upper half" of the screen is center line and forward, while everything on the "bottom half" of the screen is center line and aft. Do you know/realize that on the SA page, it has an icon similar to... II .... that represents where the tpod is looking? If you are able to see the contact on the SA page, air/ground/sea, try to put that icon directly over the top of the contact and then use TDC depress when they are overlaid, it will set a "target." Then on the HUD, it will give you a range to the target you just set. Unless you are several miles away from that target, it is easiest to gap yourself from said target and then get a good lineup/approach/wire to the target you just set. This will also display an small diamond on the hud where that target point was set (however with a moving target it won't necessarily update their point, even in point track there are limitations).

I, along with many others it seems, found this tutorial from Red Kite to be very informative:

Just trying to be of some help to you, in terms of translating/interpreting what the systems are displaying and tying those bits of information together.... Apologies if anything comes across the wrong way, seems I am sometimes misinterpreted. Not the intent. Hope something in there was helpful for you sir!

Cheers,

Don

Don this is a fountain of great information...excellent read. It made me realize how little I know about what is going on with tracking the Litening Pod. I will be book.gif this and the video to better understand what/where I'm looking and better work with the sensors.

Thanks again!

Don this is a fountain of great information...excellent read. It made me realize how little I know about what is going on with tracking the Litening Pod. I will be book.gif this and the video to better understand what/where I'm looking and better work with the sensors.

Thanks again!

Happy to be able to help! It is quite amazing what they are able to put into this sim, compared to the real life aircraft. Videos on YouTube from RedKite, Spudnocker, Grim Reapers, MagzTV, Growling Sidewinder, and of course Wagz (or Mr. Matt Wagner) have for the most part all had some pretty great and helpful content - some "specializing" in certain things more than others, in broader or narrower terms depending on who ya go to. Red Kite seems to have the most specific, easy to understand and clearly described processes in his tutorials, but they all do great work. They all have their pros/cons, but typically much fewer cons than pros, which is nice. You've always got Laobi's 1 minute tutorials, which can put a smile on your face almost every time but are very quick, condensed information and certainly NSFW content.

For the record, I have zero affiliation with any of these channels other than being subscribed and a frequent viewer. But always find myself tuning in to videos in spare time (especially commuting/traveling). My cell phone company hates me for the amount of data I use. Just clipped 45 gigs and I'm only 8 days into my billing cycle :megalol:

Cheers,

Don

Any luck? What is your best method?

Finally sunk a Firgate today with three hit's.

Intel core I9 10900K 3.7 ghz

Asrock Z490 Extreme4

G-SKill Ripjaws V 32GB

Cooler Master 120m

GTX 980 Superclocked

Corsair AX850w psu

Samsung 1 T M.2 2 X 850 ssd's

Sony 48 in HD TV

Trackir 5

Hotas Warthog F/A-18C Hornet Grip

Logitech Pro Peddles

Windows 10 64