New to sim (Couple of questions)

lepski

Hello all,

I'm growing tired of WW2 planes from games like wwiionline and Il2:BOS, and would like to dive into modern fighters, so I came here and would like professional opinions from the experts.

I have a couple of questions though. I would like to get into carrier operations, but first am guessing I should focus on landing and taking-off from land runways.

1.) I have a Logitech 3D Pro and I'm assuming that way too simple for the complex cockpits of modern day fighters. Should I go with the Logitech X52, or the Logitech X56? Mind you either of those two please.

2.) Should I start with the F5E, or should I just say screw it and jump to the F18C? I like the looks of Red Flag operations and am guessing I would learn a lot from it(?).

Other then the obvious DCS World Steam Edition what modules should I start out with?

Thanks for putting up with a newbie.

1) if you want to choose there, the x56 would be better with 2 throttles. for all hotas systems, you should read reviews, as especialy with the saiteks there has been some quality problems (madcatz).

2) take the hornet, its easy to fly and learn as long as you dont touch the weapons and other more complex systems, just learn rampstart, takeoff, airfield pattern, landing, some navigation first ;)

just a personal opinion though, have fun ;)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

"There's nothing to be gained by second guessing yourself.

You can't remake the past, so look ahead... or risk being left behind."

Noli Timere Messorem

"No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always been there first, and is waiting for it."

Terry Pratchett

1) If you have the money and you are sure hour love for simming is there to stay, not just a passing trend, I would recommend picking something like a CH pro joystick and throttle or a warthog joystick + TWCS throttle, cheaper than the full warthog hotas pack but just with as many buttons (other good options in the market like virpil or vkb stuff).

2)If you are starting with modern stuff I would even say get FC3, so you get many planes and you will understand what you like the most (ground pounding like A10A or SU25/T or air superiority with Mig29,Su27,F15c). They are complex enough to learn the basics. Other than that any full fidelity module is great, for example the A10C is absolute wonderful to learn, also the F18C, actually you cant go wrong with any module in their current state (including Harrier, mirage 2000c or the Tomcat).

Enviado desde mi SM-G950F mediante Tapatalk

Well, the full sim modules can be interacted with the mouse. So it's easy enough to assign essential functions to the HOTAS even if it's relatively simplistic and supplement the mouse for secondary and tertiary functions. The FC3 aircraft can easily be put on a simple HOTAS and supplemented with keyboard commands (there are only a few dozen in total, including unimportant ones like lights, pressure adjust, etc)

Де вороги, знайдуться козаки їх перемогти.

5800x3d * 3090 * 64gb * Reverb G2

Another option to supplement your hotas controls is the use of VoiceAttack . Very inexpensive and you can simply say "gear down" to drop the gear for example . If you are uncomfortable setting up the program , you can purchase a DCS setup here , again very inexpensively .

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=227717

And I second the Hornet for the first module . Easy to fly , intuitive systems , very capable multi-role aircraft and able to operate from land or sea .

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

I agree on the FA-18. It is a great plane. I first bought the A10 but was just blown away w/ all the computer setup stuff. I ran through one of the tutorials and had to look up so many terms, I gave it 2 weeks and bought the FA18. I started w/ a logitech stick w/ twist for rudder. I upgraded to a VKB Gladiator ($99) which is a wonderful stick w/ twist. But then I started carrier traps and found that one needs really fine throttle control so I bit the bullet and got a TM Warthog throttle ($240). It is quite expensive but is a really quality piece of equipment. It is what made carrier traps possible for me. I still use the Gladiator because I just am not interested in pedals and it is one of the few good sticks that also has twist for the rudder. Most others seem to assume that if you are going to spend that $ on the stick you will also buy pedals.

1) if it's between the X52 and the X56, go with the X52. I heard the X56 struggles with build quality and has poor ergonomics. If you do decide you might consider something else, take a look at Thrustmaster. Especially the T16000M and the TWCS are excellent value. (And i'm usually a Logitech fanboy)

2) Considering you've already flown warbirds, you have a better understanding of flight dynamics than most beginners, so really you should take the plane you're most interested in. You might be able to get the fullest potential out of the F-5 quicker than the F-18, but that's just because the latter is way more complex and versatile. All said, the F-18 is an easy aircraft to fly, so I'm pretty sure you'd have no problem with it.

2.) Should I start with the F5E, or should I just say screw it and jump to the F18C?

What? There are other planes besides the F-18??

My Hangar: | A-10A | A-10C | AJS-37 | AV-8B II NA | F-14B | BF-109 K4 | C-101 | F-15C | F-5E II |F-86F | F/A-18C | FW-190 D-9 | KA-50 | L-39 | M-2000C | MI-8MTV2 | MiG-15bis | MiG-21bis | P-51D | SA342 | Spitfire IX | SU-25 | SU-25T | SU-27 | SU-33 | UH-1H |

My Playgrounds: | Caucasus | Nevada | Persian Gulf | Normandy |

Cockpit: | i7-4790K | EVGA Z97 | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 3GB | Samsung EVO SSD | Saitek Pro Flight X-55 Rhino H.O.T.A.S. System | TrackIR 5 |

F/A-18 for sure. Do keep in mind that it's in Early Access currently. That basically means it just isn't finished... but it's VERY capable even so. As a little side benefit of EA... It also means you get to learn systems one at a time as they're introduced. With the caveat that many systems are already finished so... It will still feel somewhat complicated at first.

The F-5... while quite a good aircraft... is not super capable in PvP. It's usable... don't get me wrong... It's just more challenging in some respects. It uses somewhat shorter range IR (Heat seeking) missiles. This is both a blessing and a curse :)... A good pilot can most certainly kill anything else with it... but it's absolutely more difficult to do so. I quite like it :)... but it's not a monster like the F/A-18 ;)

Also you might look into using the regular DCS E-Shop version instead of Steam. Both work fine... and both work with Steam VR if you go that route.

Edited by M1Combat

Nvidia RTX3080 (HP Reverb), AMD 3800x

Asus Prime X570P, 64GB G-Skill RipJaw 3600

Saitek X-65F and Fanatec Club-Sport Pedals (Using VJoy and Gremlin to remap Throttle and Clutch into a Rudder axis)

For me, the F/A-18 is an incredible weapons platform that happens to be in the air. The F-5 is a seat-of-the-pants plane that happens to have a few weapons.

I get a lot of fun from the F-5, but it does suffer on most multiplayer servers, especially now that groups of F/A-18 have datalink.

Looking at single-player DLC campaigns, I think the F-5 has two versus one for the f/A-18, but I imagine the F/A-18 will eventually have more due to the (presumably) larger sales of the module.

Sinclair ZX Spectrum 48K, Kempston joystick Interface, Alba Cassette Recorder, Quickshot II Turbo Joystick

1) if it's between the X52 and the X56, go with the X52. I heard the X56 struggles with build quality and has poor ergonomics. If you do decide you might consider something else, take a look at Thrustmaster. Especially the T16000M and the TWCS are excellent value. (And i'm usually a Logitech fanboy)

2) Considering you've already flown warbirds, you have a better understanding of flight dynamics than most beginners, so really you should take the plane you're most interested in. You might be able to get the fullest potential out of the F-5 quicker than the F-18, but that's just because the latter is way more complex and versatile. All said, the F-18 is an easy aircraft to fly, so I'm pretty sure you'd have no problem with it.

The X-52 has poor ergonomics and very poor layout, plus an idiotic design tethering the stick and throttle together. Also, ALL Saitek products suffer from poor quality components. Maybe people don't always have serious issue with it, but I've owned an X52, X55, X56, and several single smaller sticks... all had issues.

The 55/56 are the best of the bunch for ergonomics and general usability, although they still have cheapish internal components. The 56 improves on the 55, particularly the centering washer which is no longer so prone to catching. 52/55/56 all require modification of the throttle to remove those retarded detents and whatever that obnoxiously thick goop is they put in there.

Де вороги, знайдуться козаки їх перемогти.

5800x3d * 3090 * 64gb * Reverb G2

Hi everyone!

Sorry for the question, because this threat isnt the best place for it, but i couldnt find better.

I fly russian planes (Mig-15, Mig-21) and I couldnt find out how to select in F2 view metric units in the bar below.Could someone Tell me this secret?

Hi everyone!

Sorry for the question, because this threat isnt the best place for it, but i couldnt find better.

I fly russian planes (Mig-15, Mig-21) and I couldnt find out how to select in F2 view metric units in the bar below.Could someone Tell me this secret?

Gameplay Settings i believe

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Simming since 2005

My Rig: Gigabyte X470 Aorus Ultra Gaming, AMD Ryzen7 2700X, G.Skill RipJaws 32GB DDR4-3200, EVGA RTX 2070 Super Black Gaming, Corsair HX850