MiG-29 cannon test (GSh-30-1)

The Russian's have an enormous lead in aviation cannons. NATO and American forces can save their ego though, as cannons are becoming increasingly less important.

ModAirGuns.jpg

American sources like to compare the M61 and the GSH-23 but they don't factor in weight and size. A better comparison would be the GSH-6-23 which is lighter, more compact, very reliable and has a higher rate of fire then the M61. Even the GSH-301 is about half the weight of the M61.

• Like 1

NATO and American forces can save their ego though, as cannons are becoming increasingly less important.
”Less important” is relative and is subject for discussion.

Cannons are the only jam proof A-A weapons. Therefore they will never be removed from fighter airplanes.

Thermaltake Kandalf LCS | Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R | Etasis ET750 (850W Max) | i7-920 OC to 4.0 GHz | Gigabyte HD5850 | OCZ Gold 6GB DDR3 2000 | 2 X 30GB OCZ Vertex SSD in RAID 0 | ASUS VW266H 25.5" | LG Blue Ray 10X burner | TIR 5 | Saitek X-52 Pro | Logitech G930 | Saitek Pro flight rudder pedals | Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit

The main reason why cannons are kept on NATO fighters is because the US Navy lost a lot of cannonless F-4s during the first part of the vietnam war. But missiles are getting more and more efficient, and cannons are becoming near to useless, particulary in modern conflicts where it is 100 vs 1 :P

Btw about DEFA, it may be not as good as Gsh-30, but on Mirage fighters there is two of them, which makes 2x 30mm. Quite efficient too ;)

DEFA 554 for Mirage 2000

DEFA 791 for Rafale

92nd Kodiak Air Force - May the Greuh be with you

When it comes to helicopter guns (where this weapon is more than usefull and quiet frequently used) my favorite is the 2A42 installed on the Ka-50. Note that the same cannon is installed on the Mi-28 under the nose that can move at angles up to 135 degrees left-right but in the Kamov design (on the right side of the fusellage) it has shown 2-3 times better accuracy.

"See, to me that's a stupid instrument. It tells what your angle of attack is. If you don't know you shouldn't be flying." - Chuck Yeager, from the back seat of F-15D at age 89.

=RvE=

When it comes to helicopter guns (where this weapon is more than usefull and quiet frequently used) my favorite is the 2A42 installed on the Ka-50. Note that the same cannon is installed on the Mi-28 under the nose that can move at angles up to 135 degrees left-right but in the Kamov design (on the right side of the fusellage) it has shown 2-3 times better accuracy.
I want to get my hands on the game soon so I can start sniping targets with the cannon on the BS :D

Will there be a target range included in BS? :smartass:

i7-2600k@4GHz, 8GB, R9 280X 3GB, SSD, HOTAS WH, Pro Flight Combat Pedals, TIR5

....particulary in modern conflicts where it is 100 vs 1 :P

Now, this sounds like me talking ...

:thumbup:

Thermaltake Kandalf LCS | Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R | Etasis ET750 (850W Max) | i7-920 OC to 4.0 GHz | Gigabyte HD5850 | OCZ Gold 6GB DDR3 2000 | 2 X 30GB OCZ Vertex SSD in RAID 0 | ASUS VW266H 25.5" | LG Blue Ray 10X burner | TIR 5 | Saitek X-52 Pro | Logitech G930 | Saitek Pro flight rudder pedals | Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit

What makes you think they are jam proof?
He, he, he ... Yes, guns can get jammed (mechanically). However, you can not jam flying bullet. He, he, he … Добар си!

”Less important” is relative and is subject for discussion.

No, it's not relative nor is it subject for discussion. Missiles are getting deadlier, and engaging with missiles is easier and much faster than engaging with guns - it's just lock and shoot.

And now, as SRAAMs are becoming more and more agile, have exponentially increasing MEZs and becoming more difficult to decoy with flares, guns ARE becoming less important - absolutely, not relatively.

Cannons are the only jam proof A-A weapons. Therefore they will never be removed from fighter airplanes.

What does being jam-proof have anything to do with the longevity of a weapon? Air-to-air rockets were jam-proof as well, but they were replaced by AAMs in the 1950s. You can't jam unguided MK-82/84 bombs either, but they are virtually phased out in favor of the (jammable) JDAM.

sigzk5.jpg

Lockheed and Boeing are then wrong for installing a gun in Raptor? No matter how good new missiles are. New missiles are always followed by new missile jamming systems. At one time, missiles will be better, at another, jamming systems.

Once a bullet departs from the gun, it can not be jammed. On your fighter airplane, you better make sure you have a gun you can count on.

Agreed, you can't depend on missiles for ground attack, or Close Air Support. With guns you can get in closer, and there's more to go around :thumbup:

LOMAC Section| | Gaming Resume (PDF) | Gallery | Flanker2.51 Storage Site |

Also known as Flanker562 back in the day...

Steam ID EricJ562 | DCS: A-10A/C Pilot | DCS: Su-25T Pilot | Texture Artist

"...parade ground soldiers always felt that way (contempt) about killers in uniform." -Counting The Cost, Hammer's Slammers