[RESOLVED]AI Missile Defence

Hello all,

I have been doing some research, and have found that AI aircraft will not ACTIVELY defend against radar missiles until they are EXACTLY 10 miles away from them. This defensive move is always executed regardless of any other parameters, ie missile speed, aircraft altitude etc. This feels very "scripted," and can prove to be a fatal maneuver given the right launch parameters. I suggest in the future, re examine and edit AI defence scripts to have them react more dynamically to threats. For a simple example, if a phoenix is shot at an AI aircraft from 20 miles away they should immediately do a split s and get the hell out of dodge while if this launch were to occur at 50 miles, they could wait a bit before going totally defensive. I have tried to do this myself but I have found no solution. I NEED YOUR HELP DEVELOPERS! I bring this up because of the DCS dynamic campaign on the horizon that must compete with other simulators. Hope I dont get banned now for using a bad word :). Anyway, I have provided a script of this down below recorded in version 2.5.5.34864 of DCS World Open Beta. For those who watch, I encourage you to go to the f10 map and break out the ruler to see what I am talking about. Just to be clear, I absolutely love this sim, and want to see it get better and better. This is why I push this stuff!

Sincerely, DCS FIGHTER PILOT

AI Missile Launch Behaivor.trk

Edited by BIGNEWY

• ED Team

Hi

thanks for the feedback, I noticed however you have not set any advanced waypoint actions for the enemy AI, this will change their behaviour and how they react to a threat and what counter measures they use.

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

Hi

thanks for the feedback, I noticed however you have not set any advanced waypoint actions for the enemy AI, this will change their behaviour and how they react to a threat and what counter measures they use.

Thanks for responding. When you say "advanced waypoint actions," you mean the procedure that I used in the two tracks down below right? As you can see, both the "Evasive Vertical Maneuver," and "Evade Fire," actions do nothing to change the AI behavior in this scenario.

Evasive Vertical Maneuver.trk

Evade Fire.trk

Edited by DCS FIGHTER PILOT

• ED Team

Hi

My understanding is if you want them to turn and run you should set them to allow abort mission.

In the tracks the aircraft are using chaf as they have been locked and perform a defensive manoeuvre when the missile goes active.

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

Hi

My understanding is if you want them to turn and run you should set them to allow abort mission.

In the tracks the aircraft are using chaf as they have been locked and perform a defensive manoeuvre when the missile goes active.

Hello again,

No change in behavior I'm afraid, just the same big ol fireball at the end. Ai will always start to go actively defensive at 10nm regardless of any other parameter, i.e altitude, missile speed, airplane speed, weather! ect. For most missiles, this maneuver is a death sentence, see evidence below.

abort mission.trk

abort mission 2.trk

• ED Team

Hi and thanks for the tracks.

I am seeing the same so I have made a report to the team.

Also worth remembering that in actuality unless the missile is spotted visually, the RWR should not alert the aircraft to the missile launch until terminal homing in many cases with ARH missiles, with the tomcat the launch is only cued from the RWR ~30seconds prior to projected impact.

Recently the AI have been hitting the water a lot for me, that has been a little frustrating.

• ED Team

We will see improvement in the next patch,

it has been tweaked for AI in BVR to start evading the missile if the range is less then 30% of missile range or 10NM - or which ever is greater.

Now a longer range missile will see an earlier reaction from the AI if it can detect the launch.

Edited by BIGNEWY

it has been tweaked for AI in BVR to start evading the missile if the range is less then 30% of missile range....

Does this mean 30% of the range from which the missile is launched?

Modules owned:

FC3, M-2000C, Mig-21bis, F-5E, AJS-37 Viggen, F/A-18C, KA-50, Mi-8, F-14A&B, JF-17

• 2 weeks later...
  • ED Team
No, 30% of missile range. This number is unique to each missile and is independent of launch range. This is a very good thing, trust me.

Yeah seems to be working well, I like this change.