TCS RDR slave position

doomydoom

It's a way to use the TCS to acquire the radar onto a target.

When in this position the radar will be slaved to the TCS elevation and azimuth but the hand control can still be used to acquire the target in range or rate.

This could as an example be useful against certain kinds of radar jammers however the implementation of this in DCS is still WIP and it's still unclear how much of this we can implement given the current limited DCS ECM.

How do you acquire the target in range/rate if you have the radar slaved? I've tried half/full action in all the HCU modes.

My use case is this: I have a pulse doppler lock, target notches and I lose lock, but I still have him on TCS. Hoping there's a way to use the TCS RDR slave to get a new lock.

Edited by doomydoom

• 1 month later...

Just tried this unsucessfully and was about to report it as a bug, but then I saw this thread. I hope it will be implemented soon. smile.gif

This is WIP though and does not yet work.

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

It will work as with a normal radar acquisition were the antenna is locked to the TCS and the HCU controlling only range or rate. This is WIP though and does not yet work.

One of the use of that is something that I found to want to be able to do often:

Whenever a target goes defensive and notch the target, it is often possible to still see it on the TCS (especially in narrow FOV) if below 40-50 nm. It still tracks the target with TCS but no radar track is available. Switching the radar to Pulse mode and slaving it to the TCS should therefore permit reacquisition of the target.

So even outside of a jamming environment, this option would be quite useful.

One of the use of that is something that I found to want to be able to do often:

Whenever a target goes defensive and notch the target, it is often possible to still see it on the TCS (especially in narrow FOV) if below 40-50 nm. It still tracks the target with TCS but no radar track is available. Switching the radar to Pulse mode and slaving it to the TCS should therefore permit reacquisition of the target.

So even outside of a jamming environment, this option would be quite useful.

:thumbup:

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg