F-14B Pilot Start Procedures - Wing Sweep

flybull

Hi all,

in the HB Pilot Start Procedures (and NATOPS) - at what point is the EMERGENCY WING SWEEP handle moved to 20 and stowed. (for flight)

The last step in both the HB and NATOPS procedure, regarding this control is to place the handle on OV SW.

In the Shore based procedure (steps omitted for CV) the handle is moved to 20, but subsequently returned to OV SW.

The next mention of the handle is the Before Takeoff Checklist verification (read/response)

Am I missing something?

Ive check HBs procedure and NATOPS from 1997 and 2004 and can't find the answer.

Thanks in advance

Are you looking at Change 3 of that document?

P227 (steps 10-17) does not contain the step to move EMERG WING SWEEP LEVER to 20.

STEP 9: EMERGERNCY WING SWEEP handle.....OV SW.

Step 27 (Shore OPS ONLY) EMERGRENCY WING SWEEP Handle..20, but this is then followed up in steps 46/47 (still Shore OPs only) (page 231) moving handle to to 68deg and then back to OV SW position.

After step 47, there is no mention of EMERGENCY WING OVERSWEEP Handle until challenge/response before take off checklist.

So - it is my understanding, that whilst taxiing - EMER WING Sweep Handle is in OV SW and prior to T/O the handle is moved to 20 and the guard closed - however The checklist does not refer to this step.

@Victory 205/other SMEs are you able to clarify the procedure?

Kind regards.

Interestingly, the PRELIMINARY Flight Manual for F-14 (Grumman Document, not NATOPS) 1970, does have specific instructions regarding placing the EMERG Wing sweep handle to 20deg.

In the TAXI-PILOT procedures, there are 8 steps, including the EMEREG Wing Sweep to 20/Master reset button - depress as well as FLAPS - DOWN.

These procedures are missing in all the F-14 NATOPS I have access to - which contain 5 steps in TAXI-PILOT section.

Edited by flybull
spelling

Yep, looking at Change 3 - 15 January 2004

page 227 of the pocket check list NAVAIR 01-F14AAP-1B , and it is page 267 of the .pdf when read in Adobe acrobat.

Step 10 Wing Sweep Mode Switch - Auto

If wings are not in oversweep, move the wings

to 68° using wing sweep emergency handle in

raised position. Then raise handle to full extension

and hold until HZ TAIL AUTH caution

light goes out and OVER flag appears on wing

sweep indicator. Move handle to full aft OV

SW and stow.

10. WING SWEEP MODE switch . . . . . . . . . . . . . AUTO

11. WING SWEEP DRIVE NO. 1

and WG SW DR. NO. 2 /

MANUVFLAP cb . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . IN (LE1, LE2)

12. WING/EXT TRANS switch . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . OFF

13. COMM/NAV/GEAR/DISPLAYS . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ON

14. Trim . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Set 000

15. Standby gyro . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Erect

16. MASTER RESET pushbutton . . . . . . . . . . . . . Depress

17. DCP . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Verify codes (FAIL, FLT, IBIT)

Then on page 229 (269 of .pdf)

step 27 Emergency Wing Sweep handle to 20°

CAUTION

Ensure adequate clearance before moving

wings.

Note

For CV operations, omit steps 27 through 50.

27. EMERGENCY WING SWEEP handle . . . . . . . . . 20°

28. MASTER RESET pushbutton . . . . . . . . . . . . . Depress

29. External lights . . . . . Check (prior to night/IMC flight)

Sons of Dogs, Come Eat Flesh

Clan Cameron

If you keep reading past page 229 then it goes into selecting the different wing sweep modes, then on the pre take-off check list that is part of the challenge and reply between RIO and pilot item 11 on page 240 is where the RIO challenges the pilot to put the wings at 20°

Sons of Dogs, Come Eat Flesh

Clan Cameron

My understanding is, if you are taking off from a land base, you put them to 20 degrees and under control on the aircraft computer once you're done with the wing checks, but if you are ship board you leave them in over sweep until sometime around when you are lining up to the catapult. However, I haven't seen the NATOPS manual so that's mostly supposition based on the stuff I've seen here and on YouTube.

I also was asking myself the same yesterday while working on my checklist and procedures doc.

After watching a few land based videos on YT, in all of them taxi was started in oversweep. Only saw an instance approaching at the runway and they were already configured for takeoff.

So probably they are configured during taxi and then the before takeoff checklist is done. That is a common way of doing things in airliners too: configure, then perform a challenge checklist.

On a carrier, of course the wings were configured on the catapult.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]