Max range of a LGB

MobiSev

In game slant range is 8nm IIRC. Google Pythagoras and do the math. IRL it’s a function of laser power, atmospheric attenuation, target reflectivity and sensor sensitivity. And if you want to hit spot on, things like judder, sensor stabilization and atmospheric distortion and beam spread come into play. But DCS doesn’t model any of that.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

In game slant range is 8nm IIRC.

The laser source needs to be that close

Wasn't there recently discussions about this range and shortly thereafter a "fix" for this? As in that they extended this range to like 15nm or something to alleviate problems with buddylasing? I might remember incorrectly about 15nm but I know there were discussions about shortcomings on the laser range.

EDIT: Found one of the discussions about Maximum Laser Range...

People talk about an effective laser range of about 8nm in DCS, but there was a bug that if the lasing source was >8nm away, the "spot" would actually float mid air. I don't find any posts about this being fixed/changed or extended.

Edited by chrisofsweden

GPU: PALIT NVIDIA RTX 3080 10GB | CPU: Intel Core i7-9700K 4,9GHz | RAM: 64GB DDR4 3000MHz
VR: HP Reverb G2 | HOTAS: TM Warthog Throttle and Stick

Right, I was thinking you meant self lasing.

I assume otherwise you just have to get the bomb within 8nm of the "spot" and have it in the right orientation to see it.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

This isn't precise, but self lasing with harrier and gbu12's, I can drop and hit targets all day long from MSL 20,000ft, but when I climb much beyond that, again no precise numbers, it's a total miss (clearly the sim has reached the max simulated laser range where the gbu behaves like - best guess- laser wasn't ever turned on).

I will try dropping couple bombs from 30,000 into a 10,000ft+ mountainous target and see if that works.

. . . . . . .

Every module/ map except the dual winged joke.

• 3 weeks later...
Let's say you are up at angels 30-40. What is the absolute max range you could send a LGB against a target being lased in game?

Are you asking about max laser energy range or Bomb kinematic range? Those are two very different questions.

System HW: i9-9900K @5ghz, MSI 11GB RTX-2080-Ti Trio, G-Skill 32GB RAM, Reverb HMD, Steam VR, TM Warthog Hotas Stick & Throttle, TM F/A-18 Stick grip add-on, TM TFRP pedals. SW: 2.5.6 OB

Are you asking about max laser energy range or Bomb kinematic range? Those are two very different questions.

The absolute max range the bomb can see the laser and guide to the target.

Modules owned:

FC3, M-2000C, Mig-21bis, F-5E, AJS-37 Viggen, F/A-18C, KA-50, Mi-8, F-14A&B, JF-17

IRL it depends how near/far the laser designator is to the target, the angle of incidence and atmospheric conditions.

In good conditions :

• With a designator at 15 nm, the LGB might track the spot from ~3 nm i.e. the last 10-20 seconds of flight.

• With a designator at ~3 nm, the LGB might track the spot from ~8 nm

• With TGP and LMav at ~7 nm, an aircraft can self designate for the LMav.

In DCS the laser designator *must* be within 8 nm of the target (or the spot floats in mid air). Razbam's LMav's used to lock laser spots from beyond 12 nm but I haven't tested them recently. IIRC the A-10C's TGP LSS is similarly capable (perhaps 15 nm ?).

Edited by Ramsay

i9 9900K @4.7GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX4070 12GB, 1+2TB NVMe, 6+4TB HD, 4+1TB SSD, Winwing Orion 2 F-15EX Throttle + F-16EX Stick, TPR Pedals, TIR5, Win 10 Pro x64, 1920X1080

So one thing that might affect the answer here, is that the bomb doesn't *need* to see the laser when / before it drops - it only needs to see it 15-20 seconds before impact so it can guide onto the target. So if you're using a JTAC/Predator that's next to the target, then your range is essentially just how far that bomb can fly and still hit the target. If you're high enough and fast enough, you should be able to chuck a GBU-12/16/10 20-35nm.

Even if you're self-designating, then the answer isn't technically 8nm either - the laser designator just has to be within 8nm of the target when the bomb is nearly at the target, you could lob it from 15nm and still be within 8nm before the bomb hits.

Edited by backspace340

This isn't precise, but self lasing with harrier and gbu12's, I can drop and hit targets all day long from MSL 20,000ft, but when I climb much beyond that, again no precise numbers, it's a total miss (clearly the sim has reached the max simulated laser range where the gbu behaves like - best guess- laser wasn't ever turned on).

I will try dropping couple bombs from 30,000 into a 10,000ft+ mountainous target and see if that works.

I've successfully dropped selflased LGBs from 40.000+ ft with the Tomcat. Worked totally fine. :thumbup:

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg