New rig; i7 or Ryzen?

Hello folks,

Im looking for a new rig. Im wondering what is better for DCS; the AMD Ryzen 7 3700X or something from Intel e.g. i7 7700k?

Im looking to get either a RTX2060 or RTX2070 to go with it. As for RAM I'll stick with 16gb DDR4 but if someone recommends 32 then I might look into that aswell.

''Greed is a bottomless pit which exhausts the person in an endless effort to satisfy the need without ever reaching satisfaction.''

Erich Fromm

AMD suffers a little with new chipsets and Bios issues, but those will likely get fixed.

Intel, on the other hand, has tons of flaws, which may not affect you directly, what affects you is a constant Bios/CPU_Microcode update, endless Management-Engine Upgrades/Firmware and still, full of bugs and no cure in sight, in fact, there never will be for those current Intel CPU's.

AMD may need some clever RAM picking and a few Bios updates but that is in my eyes the lesser burden and has a real option of getting mature. Intel doesnt. For example, my now aging Z370/8700k board is still flooded with Bios and ME updates/Upgrades that you also cannot deinstall, once flashed it's on. I am at Bios #27 now, make your thoughts if you want that game.

I'd pick another AMD ( I run 2 Ryzen's in the office, 1600x and 2600 ) over any Intel.

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

I think BitMaster summed it up pretty well but my experience so far with a new Ryzen 3900X system has been good and stable. No issues, temps are staying safe (Yes I water cool) under load.

My previous system was an i7 2600K so I fully understand the flaws that BitMaster outlined in the previous message. I do more than DCS gaming so I wanted to give the Ryzen a try. I'm very happy so far..

Mike

Ryzen 3900X, ASROCK X570 Phantom, RTX-2080TI, 32 gigs Ram, TM Warthog HOTAS, ELGATO 4k capture, AOC 32 & 35" 1440P displays, Rift S

AMD suffers a little with new chipsets and Bios issues, but those will likely get fixed.

Intel, on the other hand, has tons of flaws, which may not affect you directly, what affects you is a constant Bios/CPU_Microcode update, endless Management-Engine Upgrades/Firmware and still, full of bugs and no cure in sight, in fact, there never will be for those current Intel CPU's.

AMD may need some clever RAM picking and a few Bios updates but that is in my eyes the lesser burden and has a real option of getting mature. Intel doesnt. For example, my now aging Z370/8700k board is still flooded with Bios and ME updates/Upgrades that you also cannot deinstall, once flashed it's on. I am at Bios #27 now, make your thoughts if you want that game.

I'd pick another AMD ( I run 2 Ryzen's in the office, 1600x and 2600 ) over any Intel.

Pretty much this. Using a intel chip now (for other purposes then only gaming, VMs etc.) and it's been kinda annoying the last year to watch the performance drop for certain workloads. Running a DCS server+NAS+Docker+more on an old Ryzen 1700, and it's rock solid 24/7. And not a furnace like the Intel part in my "desktop".

Threadripper 3000, come on baby :geek:

I think BitMaster summed it up pretty well but my experience so far with a new Ryzen 3900X system has been good and stable. No issues, temps are staying safe (Yes I water cool) under load.

My previous system was an i7 2600K so I fully understand the flaws that BitMaster outlined in the previous message. I do more than DCS gaming so I wanted to give the Ryzen a try. I'm very happy so far..

Mike

I dont think Ryzen is a problem maker, I'd love to bite myself thru one :)

The 3900x/3950x is on the very top of my "nice to have" list.

Edited by BitMaster

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

......And not a furnace like the Intel part in my "desktop".

Threadripper 3000, come on baby :geek:

Apropos Furnace:

Last week I shuffled 223w thru my die in the newest prime95 4K SmallFFT's at 5G.

When I saw that value, I hit the STOP button.

Der 8auer uses 1344K Small FFT's with 26.6 non-AVX...that is 50-70w less for stability tests.

Yeah, 5G is not equal to 5G from someone else.

Apart from that, for stability tests I meanwhile solely use IBT, Intel Burn test v 2.6, with a load of 28000MB RAM and let it do 4 runs, if it takes that its stable for my needs. prime95 takes even more time and is much too brutal if you employ AVX with SMall FFT's.

I really want that big Ryzen, 64GB and a new NVMe, loaded with VM's :smilewink:

Ok I tell you what I would do if I wanted to change PC today and if I wanted vr.

For the GPU obviously I would choose 2080ti or 2080super, they cost too much imho.

For the cpu, amd, this is because intel is falling in performance and will continue to fall, paying for intel is wasted money. So better wait to see what both intel and nvidia will come out in the future.

1000 dollars today still 1000 dollars tomorrow

Apropos Furnace:

Last week I shuffled 223w thru my die in the newest prime95 4K SmallFFT's at 5G.

When I saw that value, I hit the STOP button.

Der 8auer uses 1344K Small FFT's with 26.6 non-AVX...that is 50-70w less for stability tests.

Yeah, 5G is not equal to 5G from someone else.

Apart from that, for stability tests I meanwhile solely use IBT, Intel Burn test v 2.6, with a load of 28000MB RAM and let it do 4 runs, if it takes that its stable for my needs. prime95 takes even more time and is much too brutal if you employ AVX with SMall FFT's.

I really want that big Ryzen, 64GB and a new NVMe, loaded with VM's :smilewink:

Tried that at 4,5 or 4,6 (I forget) on my 7960x, and oooh boy I mashed ctrl+c real fast too. Then downclocked and double checked the vcore etc. Could fry an egg on the VRMs..

Have you've seen the latest performance data on the new Epycs? That makes me wonder how the Zen2 TR is going to shake out :surprise:

edit: now with link https://www.servethehome.com/amd-epyc-7002-series-rome-delivers-a-knockout/

Edited by TrollingThunder
link!

I dont think Ryzen is a problem maker, I'd love to bite myself thru one :)

The 3900x/3950x is on the very top of my "nice to have" list.

BitMaster- the new system certainly took a bite out of pocket book...but all things said, It’s a beast. I couldn’t wait for the 3950X...I got impatient

No issues with Asrock’s bios thus far....

Mike

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ryzen 3900X, ASROCK X570 Phantom, RTX-2080TI, 32 gigs Ram, TM Warthog HOTAS, ELGATO 4k capture, AOC 32 & 35" 1440P displays, Rift S

It would help if we knew your current system specs?

Ryzen 3800x + RTX2080 Ti + 32GB RAM. All my games are stable and run great, just have some weirdness with a couple USB devices that occasionally stop working and have to be plugged back in. Not sure if that's windows or immature x570 drivers.

3800X, X570, 32GB 3600, RTX 2080Ti, SSD, Odyssey+ VR