Using Right Alt + J to take over another Jet.

redmantab

I downloaded a mission from someone that was user created on the DCS website. Great mission. It's an F-14 mission entitled "Last Minute Replacement Crew – F14B Persian Gulf."

In case I die...so that I don't have to spend hours getting back to the same position (since there is no in game save feature) a good solution is using R alt + J to take over another F-14. I'm finding this feature as a potential life saver for a DCS user that needs to cut down on time.

In the mission generator...I added two F-14 on the ground at a local airport doing "nothing." I died. I then kept pressing F2 to swap to the F-14 I had on the ground. Then when I pressed R alt + J to take it over....it acted "weird." The wheels sunk into the ground and there were no pilots visible in the F14 either. I couldn't take over the F-14. Should I have used the mission editor differently and had the parked plane to being doing something else....? Why couldn't I take it over? During the same mission I was able to take over yet another F-14 further away that was mid flight....but not the ones on the ground.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

Rather than take control on ground plane, you can set any number of client aircraft on singleplayer, and you can select those for start on ground or air.

On ground you can take over a hot start F14 without any fuel. (With pilots.)

For air take over you can set orbiting planes into mission.

GTX 1070 8GB, 16GB DDR3, W8.1 on SSD, DCS on another SSD

Rather than take control on ground plane, you can set any number of client aircraft on singleplayer, and you can select those for start on ground or air.

On ground you can take over a hot start F14 without any fuel. (With pilots.)

For air take over you can set orbiting planes into mission.

How do I take over on ground? Can you elaborate? I set the plane to hot start? How do I add pilots? Also, what's the best way to have one orbit? What setting? Won't they run out of fuel? I don't want to cheat and use unlimited fuel.

Sample mission

Because you bound to take control on ground, there are 2 defueled AI on the Sochi ramp.

If you add internal fuel they will takeoff and then land.

If you put external fuel tanks to the payload they will takeoff and then land.

If you jumping between defueled AI planes the old ones start taxiing without any fuel.

Another method is to sure don't start those taxiing is blocking the way by a vehicle.

Most user using in single player mode the "permit crash recover" or select another client slot to spawn again, when no AI available to take control in air, close to action.

With "client" slots you can use multiple types of planes in a single singleplayer mission. (f.e.: spare the loading time for practice.)

((As a bonus Sochi have TACAN station))

takeControlGround.miz

Edited by discwalker

GTX 1070 8GB, 16GB DDR3, W8.1 on SSD, DCS on another SSD

Because you bound to take control on ground, there are 2 defueled AI on the Sochi ramp.

If you add internal fuel they will takeoff and then land.

If you put external fuel tanks to the payload they will takeoff and then land.

If you jumping between defueled AI planes the old ones start taxiing without any fuel.

Another method is to sure don't start those taxiing is blocking the way by a vehicle.

Most user using in single player mode the "permit crash recover" or select another client slot to spawn again, when no AI available to take control in air, close to action.

With "client" slots you can use multiple types of planes in a single singleplayer mission. (f.e.: spare the loading time for practice.)

((As a bonus Sochi have TACAN station))

Thank you so much for your reply! Truly appreciate it. Politely, I have to say I think there is a language/grammatical barrier of some sort here. I genuinely can't really grasp all that you are saying here my friend.

Can anyone familiar with this please elaborate? Thank you in advance.

• 3 weeks later...
OH. Thank you for the reply. I don't know about client slots.....can you please elaborate?

Thank you

I think what he means is that you should put those aircrafts on the ground as "Client" instead of AI with a skill "High/Average/etc".

This will allow a player to hop in and control the plane but won't spawn it until someone "occupies that slot", so you don't have the fuel and taxi issues

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Simming since 2005

My Rig: Gigabyte X470 Aorus Ultra Gaming, AMD Ryzen7 2700X, G.Skill RipJaws 32GB DDR4-3200, EVGA RTX 2070 Super Black Gaming, Corsair HX850