Should I do LCD for MFD's?

sonicd0012

I have seen enough videos for me to get an idea of how the LCD's out there work if you want to mount them for the MFD's but my question is if you do extend the MFD's does this in any way decrease your FPS in game and can you still play game in fullscreen mode or it will be windowed?

Have you found the LCD's to be a very useful feature or just using the MFDs as they are worked good enough?

Yes, it will make a dent in your framerate; it will also force you to play in borderless windowed mode..

For my .02, though, it's absolutely worth the cost for the ease of interaction with the cockpit, especially in MFD intensive jets like the Harrier and Hornet.

3M Command picture hanging strips do the job just fine for mounting and won't mar the bezel of whatever you mount them to should you decide to sell them later or use them for something besides DCS.

On that note, there's also no need to use the specific tiny expensive USB monitors; they're convenient but if you happen to have an old screen lying around you can set anything up to render properly. I have three MFDs mounted to a 19" LCD screen on a tall monitor stand that sits between me and my main screen. It also served as a convenient shelf for the Buddy Fox A-10 UFC.

I started out with the Cougar MFD's, then while looking for a monitor to mount them to, found an inexpensive touch screen monitor and went for the full Helios setup. It does make a big difference either way, won't fly without it. I found that it just took a little tweaking to get my frame rate back, and the sim still looks and performs well, and my system is modest compared to many. (Though cutting edge all those years ago when I bought it. >sigh<)

feefifofum has the right idea, much easier and inexpensive to just mount the MFD's onto another monitor than to buy and try to fit a pair of mini LCD's. A LCD TV will work too, so long as it accepts PC input, as most do. If your video card has an HDMI port, that makes it even easier to find a LCD TV to fit. You can get a smaller LCD TV cheap at any pawn shop or off of Craigslist. It doesn't have to be fancy or high end. Another advantage of monitor mounting them is you can use the extra screen space to display other things as well if you like. DCS is really flexible on outputs.