VRK - a virtual reality enabled kneeboard with touch and ink support

AMVI_Rider

VRK - a virtual reality enabled kneeboard with touch and ink support  

169 members have voted

1. 1. VRK - a virtual reality enabled kneeboard with touch and ink support

• Yes
    • No

This tool and the idea behind it are awesome and elegantly solve the notetaking challenge when flying in VR. Moreover, it is giving new life to my decade-old Wacom Bamboo drawing tablet which I was already about to trash. Great job!

I know we can get mission kneeboards to load onto VRK but can we get the module specific kneeboards like for the F-14 and AV-8B or is this not possible. It's immersion breaking to have to bring up the stock DCS kneeboard to see these pages.

Cheers love the application.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Sorry to ask, I'm using (I hope you don't all hiss at me use DCS too) Using MS FS2020 and VRK VRk windows not popping up in MS flight sim, have it all set up, basically, I was wondering can I user this in VR (Oculus rift S) with MS FS 2020 in standalone without a knee pad device???  Just to really project kneeboards?  I think MS might be putting one in soon anyhow? but I like the concept how could I do this please?  just to display PFD and chart text files in sim. 

(Edited i just found that oculus panel in Dev mode can make you a importable window for any file, so I will try oculus Dash - Didnt realise that) Loving DCS though.  Might persist with this in STEAM VR couldnt get it so show in Open / Oculus VR. 

Edited by Baron210
Found out more information.

Hi,

to follow @HipoxiK question, i need to know how to add default generated maps (e.g maps with navigation points) in VRK. The option "Autoload mission kneeboard" does not do it apparently.

That option just can autoload images located in the .miz/KNEEBOARD/IMAGES or images previously added to "briefing" in the mission editor but NOT default generated maps.

I've tried with "Kneeboard Builder" to apply default kneeboard to specific mission but it put .lua files in the .miz/KNEEBOARD/IMAGES directory and VRK is not able to read this kind of files...

so i would like to be able to have specific mission's needed maps autogenerated by DCS in my VRK.

Is it possible or planned in the future ?

thanks

• 4 weeks later...

Hi, i have a problem with vrk. I installed following the instructions but when I launch DCS the kneeboard disappears and is not visible in game. To make it reappear I have to quit steam vr and launch it from Window Mixed Reality. Has anyone had the same problem?

Thanks in advance 

Hi, is the app useable with an ipad ? I did not see in the list in first post, so I guess not? I need to buy a supported tablet then, which is the best recommendation from users? 

System specs: PC1 :Scan 3XS Ryzen 5900X, 64GB Corsair veng DDR4 3600, EVGA GTX 3090 Win 10, Quest Pro, Samsung Odyssey G9 Neo monitor. Tir5. PC2 ( Helo) Scan 3XS Intel 9900 K, 32 GB Ram, 2080Ti, 50 inch Phillips monitor

F/A-18C: Rhino FFB base TianHang F16 grip, Winwing MP 1, F-18 throttle, TO & Combat panels, MFG crosswind & DFB Aces  seat :cool:                       

Viper: WinWing MFSSB base with F-16 grip, Winwing F-16 throttle, plus Vipergear ICP. MFG crosswind rudders. 

Helo ( Apache) set up: Virpil collective with AH64D grip, Cyclic : Virpil CM3 base & TM F18 grip, MFG crosswind rudders, Total controls AH64 MFD's,  TEDAC Unit. 

Would it be possible to have it revert back to mouse mode in DCS when I hide the kneeboard?

I normally have my mouse right over my right leg and my new pen tablet has taken up that residency now so that I could use the VRK. However it'd be nice to still be able to use the mouse mode when I hide the kneeboard, so that I can re-arm and use the F10 map, or the server browser, without having to fumble around to find my mouse. Anybody had any luck with that?

I'm trying to setup the program, but when I go into the settings menu I can't click on anything, none of the tabs work. I can click on apply and ok, but nothing else works.

"It takes a big man to admit he is wrong...I'm not a big man" Chevy Chase, Fletch Lives

5800X3D - 64gb ram - RTX3080 - Windows 11

Good Morning,

Is there any plan to make this accessible with a Mouse?  I'm in VR, but I don't want to clutter my desk with "yet another device".  It would be nice to just draw on a nine-line with my mouse.  Not pretty but good enough.  Can I do that with this tool?

-Michael

New Setup : 13900K, Asus ROG Strix 4090, 64GB of DDR3600C14, 4x 2TB ADATA NVME, HP Reverb G2, Virpil Alpha on WarBRD, Virpil TM3 throttle, Monolith External Amp, DT 1990 Pro Headphones & TrackIR v5

Old Setup: 12900KS @ 5.5 , EVGA FTW3 Hybrid 3090, 64GB of DDR3600C14, 4x 2TB ADATA NVME, HP Reverb G2, Virpil Alpha on WarBRD, Virpil TM3 throttle, Monolith External Amp, Philips X2HR Headphones & TrackIR v5

Old Old Setup: 9900KS @ 5.2, EVGA FTW3 3090. 32GB of DDR3866, 3x 1TB ADATA NVME

On 2/15/2021 at 1:29 PM, Gunslinger22 said:

I don’t ever fly without VKR running. But one thing that I’ve never figured out is that whenever I fly multiplayer the briefs that load are always for the other faction. 

There's a bug that causes VRK to show only Blue infos. IT is already fixed and will be delivered with next version.

On 2/23/2021 at 6:26 PM, Slash621 said:

Good Morning,

Is there any plan to make this accessible with a Mouse?  I'm in VR, but I don't want to clutter my desk with "yet another device".  It would be nice to just draw on a nine-line with my mouse.  Not pretty but good enough.  Can I do that with this tool?

-Michael

I can't find a proper way to deliver a good mouse experience. As you already know "capturing" the mouse will make DCS unresponsive to flight controls, on the other side getting mouse events "in parallel" can lead to unwanted clicks in DCS cockpit.

The middle-tier solution is to use DCS scratchpad to take text notes and have them displayed in VRK.

• Like 2

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Author of DCSMP and VRK

Ryzen 5 3600X - 32GB DD4 3200C14 Win10 64 - Geforce GTX 1080Ti

Hotas Warhog + Virpil T-50 base - Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals - Cougar MFCDs - Custom head tracker

35" UWQHD main display + 22" MFCD/Helios display / Rift S

2x256 GB SSD - 2Tb Caviar Green

hace 2 horas, AMVI_Rider dijo:

The middle-tier solution is to use DCS scratchpad to take text notes and have them displayed in VRK.

I try but adding the entire folder dont detect the .txt files

YouTube Channel

Update: MSI Z790 Tomahawk, i9 13900k, DDR5 64GB 640 MHz, MSI 4090 Gaming X Trio, 970 EVO Plus 1TB SSD NVMe M.2 and 4 more, HOTAS TM Warthog, Meta Quest Pro

• 2 weeks later...

@AMVI_Rider Hi! I just installed your VRK and even bought a small Huion HS64 to go with it... (I am a pilot as well, despite a modest PPL VFR pilot and I would'nt even imagine flying without a means to take some handwritten notes!!!).  But I run into a very strange problem... When I work on the properties in Windows, everything works fine, I can handwrite very fluently, and then when I switch to DCS (ALt-Tab) and I try writing on my tablet, it doesnt take half of what I do, I have to write VERY slowly in order for it to begin to write something understandable...  There seems to be an immense performance problem... ?  I am running a very fast computer (i9 9900) but a modest graphics card (2080) with the Reverb G2.  Any advice? now it is almost unusable...

Thanks 

Edited by JEFX

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

In DCS I fly jets with thousands of pounds of thrust...

In real life I fly a humble Cessna Hawx XP II with 210 HP :D

Sorry tu bump, but nobody knows what this problem might be?

Thanks

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

In DCS I fly jets with thousands of pounds of thrust...

In real life I fly a humble Cessna Hawx XP II with 210 HP :D

• 2 weeks later...

hello.

Zitat

Supported platforms

The tool is compatible with both OpenVR(a.k.a. SteamVR) and OculusVR. Beacuse OpenVR is the only platform supporting external program overlays "out of the box", OculusVR requires some configuration black magic.

VRK tries to simplify the process to the maximum extent, but some user patience is required to survive the initial impact.

who use the app with OculusVr?
Does it work with Rift S and without SteamVr?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

great app!

Is there a way to move the focus point (the point where you have to look at to make the kneeboard grow) from the middle of the kneeboard to an area higher than that?

I like the default position of the kneeboard but I need to bow my head very much down to activate them. Once activated I can lift my head again to read which feels unnatural to me.

Would be nice if the kneeboard activates earlier when looking down.

Thanks and cheers!

NobiWan