QUestion about weight

bkthunder

Hi, just a question given the bug reported here: https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=245872

To know the actual weight of the airplane (for carrier landing purposes), should I believe what the aicraft MFD says, or what the loadout screen says?

In other words, is it just a bug with how the airplane system calculates the weight, or is the "physical" weight of the airplane wrong?

Windows 10 - Intel i7 7700K 4.2 Ghz (no OC) - Asus Strix GTX 1080 8Gb - 16GB DDR4 (3000 MHz) - SSD 500GB + WD Black FZEX 1TB 6Gb/s

• ED Team

Short answer is, I am not sure yet, I am keeping an eye on my report for feedback from the devs.

For me I would use the value in the DDI

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

Out of curiosity: how does the plane calculate its weight? Does it just sum up the fuel and the ordnance loaded? Is there an actual sensor attached to the wheels, with which it can be measured? I know there is some sensor to detect wow.

Out of curiosity: how does the plane calculate its weight? Does it just sum up the fuel and the ordnance loaded? Is there an actual sensor attached to the wheels, with which it can be measured? I know there is some sensor to detect wow.

since it "knows" its weigth while airborne too, I asume it calculates it.

Short answer is, I am not sure yet, I am keeping an eye on my report for feedback from the devs.

For me I would use the value in the DDI

Thanks for the update and hoping to see this fixed soon :thumbup:

For the time being I'm gonna practise carrier landings without any loadout..

Windows 10 - Intel i7 7700K 4.2 Ghz (no OC) - Asus Strix GTX 1080 8Gb - 16GB DDR4 (3000 MHz) - SSD 500GB + WD Black FZEX 1TB 6Gb/s

Thanks for the update and hoping to see this fixed soon :thumbup:

For the time being I'm gonna practise carrier landings without any loadout..

Don't know how much the difference is, but with the -1 and the actual AoA readout you can easily find out what the F/A-18 thinks it weighs, and that's of course the important weight.

e.g. if 'on speed' is 137kts the weight calculated by the airplane is 33000lbs.

Edited by bbrz

i7-7700K 4.2GHz, 16GB, GTX 1070 

since it "knows" its weigth while airborne too, I asume it calculates it.

That’s right. It knows it’s basic operating weight which includes the airframe, oil, pilot (probably a standard weight of 180lbs); ordinances, and fuel quantity. All this calculates into gross weight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Win 10, AMD FX9590/water cooled, 32GB RAM, 250GB SSD system, 1TB SSD (DCS installed), 2TB HD, Warthog HOTAS, MFG rudders, Track IR 5, LG Ultrawide, Logitech Speakers w/sub, Fans, Case, cell phone, wallet, keys.....printer

I found it matches w/out any external fuelpods attached.

My guess would be there are some differences in terms of fuel calculation of the external fuel storages...

when you select external fuel pods and a random fuel quantity percentage which is not 100%...the fuelpods added are at 100%...

it looks like that the loadout manager calculates the external tanks as full to calculate the weight...

So maybe the

I found it matches w/out any external fuelpods attached.

My guess would be there are some differences in terms of fuel calculation of the external fuel storages...

when you select external fuel pods and a random fuel quantity percentage which is not 100%...the fuelpods added are at 100%...

it looks like that the loadout manager calculates the external tanks as full to calculate the weight...

So maybe the

I think the fuel quantity percentage refers to the internal fuel. Fuel pods are always loaded full.

The vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VFA-34.png

F/A-18C, F-15E, AV-8B, F-16C, JF-17, A-10C/CII, M-2000C, F-14, AH-64D, BS2, UH-1H, P-51D, Sptifire, FC3
-
i9-13900K, 64GB @6400MHz RAM, 4090 Strix OC, Samsung 990 Pro

It does matter. Problem is there isn't any simulation of any damage if overweight. Example, cable snapping, strut collapse/damage, etc. Otherwise, there currently is no penalty for landing overweight, unfortunately....which I think there should.

Win 10, AMD FX9590/water cooled, 32GB RAM, 250GB SSD system, 1TB SSD (DCS installed), 2TB HD, Warthog HOTAS, MFG rudders, Track IR 5, LG Ultrawide, Logitech Speakers w/sub, Fans, Case, cell phone, wallet, keys.....printer

It does matter. Problem is there isn't any simulation of any damage if overweight. Example, cable snapping, strut collapse/damage, etc. Otherwise, there currently is no penalty for landing overweight, unfortunately....which I think there should.

Good point.

This might end my days of don't caring for landing weights at all. I just cared for AoA and that was it.

You can collapse your gear if you're overweight and you hit the deck hard.

edit

See:https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=3793105&postcount=5

Edited by Weta43

Cheers.

I just tested a carrier landing with a (maybe) max weighted Hornet. ME showed over 50,000 lbs and the checklist ddi said 45,500+ lbs at the deck.

I only cared for AoA and went a bit harder at the end with -1000 ft/min to the wire.

No damage, no warning.

I doubt that a real Hornet breakes into pieces as soon as you exaggerate limits by a bit, but I wonder whether my test simulated the real thing.

I just tested a carrier landing with a (maybe) max weighted Hornet. ME showed over 50,000 lbs and the checklist ddi said 45,500+ lbs at the deck.

I only cared for AoA and went a bit harder at the end with -1000 ft/min to the wire.

No damage, no warning.

I doubt that a real Hornet breakes into pieces as soon as you exaggerate limits by a bit, but I wonder whether my test simulated the real thing.

Most overweight landings don’t result in catastrophic damage. Usually they end up being a ruptured seal or a blown tire. Depending on the actual weight, the strut integrity, especially with the size for the hornet, probably wouldn’t get damaged or wouldn’t make the airplane cart wheel or break apart in three pieces. The damage would cause an airframe to be down for a few hours for repair. Now for trapping with 51,000 lbs vs 33,000lbs? I’d be surprised if the cable or hook would hold, yet alone the struts be still on the bottom. That’s a lot of force. F =ma

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro