I LOVE...

jross194

VR! And especially VR in this sim.

I've been flight-simming for 30+ years and I find I'm 'flying' 20x more now (Horrible internet connection, less than 5mbs, or I'd be online too, adding to the flight hours).

And I'm done with the 'heavies'; P3D, FSX, XP - spent most of my time there cuzz, well, it just worked for me on a monitor. The 'mission' aspect was/is great; plan it out, hit your numbers, etc.

But now I'm [more] really "there", again with a mission, and get to blow stuff up. And contort the bod all over my office chair.

Sheeesh...guess I'm still pumped up from the latest Viper trailer...

G'day

i6700k 4.4mhz, 32Gb, nVidia 1080, Odyssey+, CH Products, Derek Speare Designs button box, Bass shaker w/SimShaker For Aviators

Enjoy it. It sure is great for those of us who lived through wire-frame planes, and polygon hills with sharp angles! I may have to fire up F19 Stealth Fighter one of these days just to see what it looks like. When it comes to sim's, our memory tends to be more generous, it seems to me :)

And yes, that trailer was kick-ass!

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

Don't forget the original F-15 Strike Eagle with those wire-frame MiG-23s and the triangle targets on the ground. F-19? I was obsessed with that game! Had a Colonel with the CMOH and pretty much every other medal. It was a blast! VR has definitely brought that thrill and fun back to flight sims.

Can't wait to get the Viper! I'd like to get into a full-fidelity, multi-role, fast jet, and the Navy and Marine Corps stuff we have available right now just doesn't do anything for me.

EVGA Z690 Classified, Intel i9 12900KS Alder Lake processor, MSI MAG Core Liquid 360R V2 AIO Liquid CPU Cooler, G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 64GB DDR5 6400 memory, EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra 24GB video card, Samsung 980PRO 1TB M2.2280 SSD for Windows 10 64-bit OS, Samsung 980PRO 2TB M2.2280 SSD for program files, LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray burner. HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Pedals, HP Reverb G2. Partridge and pear tree pending. :pilotfly:

"Don't forget the original F-15 Strike Eagle with those wire-frame MiG-23s.."

^^^ EXACTLY the one I was thinking about. And F19. The first Falcon version was like CGA graphics - 4 colors, whooo-hooo.

Only thing that hasn't changed: I'm still playing the Upgrade Game; gotta buy a more powerful PC/Graphics card to keep up...

i6700k 4.4mhz, 32Gb, nVidia 1080, Odyssey+, CH Products, Derek Speare Designs button box, Bass shaker w/SimShaker For Aviators

When I do get the time to sit down and do some virtual flying it still makes me smile when I think how far the genre has come. I've been fortunate enough to have put together a nice little sim rig over the years and recently did an upgrade that has allowed me to get into VR with the Oculus Rift S. The sheer complexity we have now in the systems and flight modelling, the graphics and of course VR not to mention the advanced controllers is amazing from when I started out with my first proper simulation - Microprose's Gunship on the ZX Spectrum.

As a real world airline pilot, 13 years flying jets, I’m back in to simming in DCS/VR because I was always a frustrated hornet pilot and now I get the chance to at least get a glimpse at what it might have been like if only I’d got through that testing.

I lost interest in simming after I got into the real flying because there were so many compromises in flight modelling, systems, environment and user interfacing but VR with DCS is definitely a new thing altogether.

With around 15,000 hours of RL flying, my wife can’t believe that I come home and want to fly my computer!

i7700k OC to 4.8GHz with Noctua NH-U14S (fan) with AORUS RTX2080ti 11GB Waterforce. 32GDDR, Warthog HOTAS and Saitek rudders. HP Reverb.

Enjoy it. It sure is great for those of us who lived through wire-frame planes, and polygon hills with sharp angles! I may have to fire up F19 Stealth Fighter one of these days just to see what it looks like. When it comes to sim's, our memory tends to be more generous, it seems to me :)

And yes, that trailer was kick-ass!

I have a dedicated retro pc built just for the old simulations. It's actually quite difficult to get them to run on modern systems.

Some of them have incredible depth and I get a lot of enjoyment flying them along with the thick manuals you used to get.

I have a dedicated retro pc built just for the old simulations. It's actually quite difficult to get them to run on modern systems.

Some of them have incredible depth and I get a lot of enjoyment flying them along with the thick manuals you used to get.

Yeah, I too had some issues. Games meant to run on MHz computers trying to deal with GHz. I do remember the F19 manual talking about the differences in radar and how to skirt around the different ones.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1