New Ubisoft Flight Sim with Tom Clancy

Rhino104

New Tom Clancy franchise being developed by Ubisoft’s Bucharest studio for next generation consoles and PC.

------------------------------------------

SAN FRANCISCO – September 25, 2007 – Today Ubisoft, one of the world’s largest video game publishers, announced the creation of a new Tom Clancy franchise being developed by Ubisoft’s Bucharest studio for next generation consoles and PC. The first air combat brand from the Tom Clancy universe will launch in 2008.

Full Article HERE.

Anyone care to comment?

Rhino2007VBA_sig.jpg

I wouldn't have anything against a light sim if it had a good enough story, interesting campaign and decent modelling of flight and weapons plus graphics, sounds and all that. But considering the recent Ubisoft Tom Clancy titles, I doubt it, at least as far as the story and the campaign part are concerned.

Strike Commander is still one of my favourite games (note that I mention games, not flight sims) because it succesfully blended several genres into one game. Ah, good ol' times (with the machine from my sig)..

i386DX40@42 MHz w/i387 CP, 4 MB RAM (8*512 kB), Trident 8900C 1 MB w/16-bit RAMDAC ISA, Quantum 340 MB UDMA33, SB 16, DOS 6.22 w/QEMM + Win3.11CE, Quickshot 1btn 2axis, Numpad as hat. 2 FPH on a good day, 1 FPH avg.

DISCLAIMER: My posts are still absolutely useless. Just finding excuses not to learn the F-14 (HB's Swansong?).

Annoyed by my posts? Please consider donating. Once the target sum is reached, I'll be off to somewhere nice I promise not to post from. I'd buy that for a dollar!

I reckon this paragraph from the article tells us most of what we need to know:

The game is set in the near future in a world where a private military force has cumulated such power that it attacks the United States. Placed into the cockpits of incredibly powerful and technologically advanced jet fighters, gamers will benefit from high-tech piloting assistance, providing comfort, security, and enhanced perception. As players gain skills and confidence, they will be able to progress with less assistance, but will have to weigh the risks carefully before choosing performance over security.

So it's definately not going to be a sim aimed anywhere near realism. But as Ijozic said, this doesn't stop it from being able to be a good game.

The idea of a private army becoming powerful enough to attack the US though? The storyline will have to be exceptionally good (and refreshingly unique) to allow for that to happen in any sort of believable manner.

The idea of a private army becoming powerful enough to attack the US though? The storyline will have to be exceptionally good (and refreshingly unique) to allow for that to happen in any sort of believable manner.

Yeah, Tom Clancy has really lost the touch with reality after the first few books :)

This sounds more like Invasion U.S.A. with Chuck Norris (which is so bad that it's actually quite funny to watch). Considering the stories of the recent Ubisoft's Tom Clancy titles (or almost any, for that matter), my money's on b) it will not save this setting :)

i386DX40@42 MHz w/i387 CP, 4 MB RAM (8*512 kB), Trident 8900C 1 MB w/16-bit RAMDAC ISA, Quantum 340 MB UDMA33, SB 16, DOS 6.22 w/QEMM + Win3.11CE, Quickshot 1btn 2axis, Numpad as hat. 2 FPH on a good day, 1 FPH avg.

DISCLAIMER: My posts are still absolutely useless. Just finding excuses not to learn the F-14 (HB's Swansong?).

Annoyed by my posts? Please consider donating. Once the target sum is reached, I'll be off to somewhere nice I promise not to post from. I'd buy that for a dollar!

Thanks for the heads up Rhino. :thumbup:

It should be interesting to see how it develops over the month/years.

Antec 900 gaming tower, PSU: Corsair 750W, Q6600, Asus P5K, 8Gig Mushkin, Nvidia eVGA 280 GTX Superclocked 1G DDR3, SSDNOW200 Kingston Drive, TrackIr 3000+Vector, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro joystick, Saitek rudder pedals pro, Sharp 42" inch LCD Aquo. OS: windows 7 64bit.

So you guys will only play a game that's based on 80's and 90's systems and not play a game based on current/future systems?

Well there goes the plans out the door for the New F-22 and EF-2000 Sims. :(

My mission is to fly, fight, and win. o-:|:-o What I do is sometimes get a tin of soup, heat it up, poach an egg in it, serve that with a pork pie sausage roll.

LOL. I'll play anything that has top notch quality. sim or arcadish in sence, makes no differences to me. If the game play or tactical play is good, then I'm all for it. BF2 is considered arcadish sorta, but remains a awesome game. It's all about having fun in my book...

Branding a game with Tom Clancy name, then you should expect lots of cash for the dev. So, well I expected that a great game can come out of this endeavour.

Cheers

Antec 900 gaming tower, PSU: Corsair 750W, Q6600, Asus P5K, 8Gig Mushkin, Nvidia eVGA 280 GTX Superclocked 1G DDR3, SSDNOW200 Kingston Drive, TrackIr 3000+Vector, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro joystick, Saitek rudder pedals pro, Sharp 42" inch LCD Aquo. OS: windows 7 64bit.

This can be some really cool shooter with interesting story. Remember Strike Commander? I was always thinking when they'll make a story that will include privately owned A-10s f.e. :) See..I like BF2142 because it is just fun to play!

This new aircombat game could be also good ground for multiplayer clans.

I'll check it out for few hours as long they'll release it for PC. I'm not buying consoles.

51PVO Founding member (DEC2007-)

100KIAP Founding member (DEC2018-)

:: Shaman aka [100☭] Shamansky

tail# 44 or 444

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] 100KIAP Regiment Early Warning & Control officer

Honestly 5 years ago if they would come out and say Tom Clancey is adding a flight sim series and it would be on PC (because thats what tom clancey games were on back then) I would say it would be on the better side of realistic. However with this I expect a little more than the Ace Combat series in terms of realism but not much.

The right man in the wrong place makes all the difference in the world.

Current Projects:  Grayflag ServerScripting Wiki

Useful Links: Mission Scripting Tools MIST-(GitHub) MIST-(Thread)

SLMOD, Wiki wishlist, Mission Editing Wiki!, Mission Building Forum

So you guys will only play a game that's based on 80's and 90's systems and not play a game based on current/future systems?

Well there goes the plans out the door for the New F-22 and EF-2000 Sims. :(

I think we'd all love a sim. I don't think we'd all love something like Air-Quake , which is what this new one seems to be more like.