HSI vs. SA?

animaal

Hi. Some time back, I took a break from the Hornet. Coming back to it now, there's a load of new stuff to learn. It has certainly come a long way!

I'm finding the SA screen vey useful. In hindsight, flying without it is like being half blind. There's a lot of commonality between SA and the HSI pages. If using the SA page, is there any benefit to also looking at the HSI? I have noticed that the JSOW weapons display ranging circles on the HSI, and I haven't seen them on the SA page, but I may have missed a button to enable them.

I'd just like to avoid taking up valuable MFD space with duplicated functionality. Thanks.

Sinclair ZX Spectrum 48K, Kempston joystick Interface, Alba Cassette Recorder, Quickshot II Turbo Joystick

No, IMHO there's no reason to use them both in parallel. I use the HSI only for navigation stuff like entering waypoint coordinates, and when I do that I just replace the SA temporarily with the HSI for that purpose.

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

Thanks. I probably need more time to gain confidence to know when the SA page is not needed.

I find myself using the SA page all the time. When I'm far from enemy territory, it shows me what to expect (positions of enemy planes and friendlies that are engaging them). As I get closer, it also shows threat circles for SAMs/AAA on the ground. And when engaging ground defenses, it has the JSOW ranging circles.

I may be using it too much as a safety blanket.

Sinclair ZX Spectrum 48K, Kempston joystick Interface, Alba Cassette Recorder, Quickshot II Turbo Joystick

For navigation the SA page is only of limited use. Yes you can see your waypoints and so on but it is mainly designed for combat. Both HSI and SA page show you the airspace from a top-down view but only on the HSI page you can enter data regarding navigation, your own A/C (like change coord. system, mag/tru heading and so on..) and show course lines trough tacan/waypoints.

I use the SA page as a replacement for RWR and HSI, only using HSI for GPS weapons and entering waypoints. Of course you need HSI to switch to TACAN. for those instances i just put the HSI page on the bottom DDI for as long as i need it.

Map is almost always off in both cases for me. it's just clutter.

as someone who played A LOT of f22 lightning 2 and f22 raptor when I was a kid, the SA page + awacs datalink is a life saver. it made my life so much easier and is so much more intuitive than using only the radar.

however as others said, it's mostly for a/a, not much useful beyond that

Rafael

Ryzen 7 1800x @ 4ghz | MSI GTX 980ti | 32gb DDR4 Ballistix 2400Mhz | Asus ROG Crosshair VII Hero (wi-fi) | 480Gb Kingston NVMe ssd | Western Digital 1TB x2 | EVGA 850w PSU | Noctua NH-D14 | NZXT S240 | Windows 10 Pro 64bit | 4k 50" Philips android TV | Dell P2418D | Oculus Rift S | Thrustmaster Warthog Hotas

as someone who played A LOT of f22 lightning 2 and f22 raptor when I was a kid

Don't forget about Total Air War :joystick: But yes, good old times :thumbup:

Spoiler

Ryzen 9 5900X | 64GB G.Skill TridentZ 3600 | Gigabyte RX6900XT | ASUS ROG Strix X570-E GAMING | Samsung 990Pro 2TB + 960Pro 1TB NMVe | HP Reverb G2
Pro Flight Trainer Puma | VIRPIL MT-50CM2+3 base / CM2 x2 grip with 200 mm S-curve extension + CM3 throttle + CP2/3 + FSSB R3L + VPC Rotor TCS Plus base with SharKa-50 grip mounted on Monstertech MFC-1 | TPR rudder pedals

OpenXR | PD 1.0 | 100% render resolution | DCS "HIGH" preset