Rift S firmware update.

Ron Attwood

I may be jumping the gun a bit here, but I have just updated the Oculus Rift S firmware. I've spent well over an hour in DCS and didn't see a single flash in the headset. Normally I'd get anything from one to several instances in any given session.

If indeed the white flash syndrome HAS been cured all they have left to do is sort out the poxy earphones!

Yes the new Public Test Channel update today appears to have fixed the white static flashes according to some posters it would seem.

I have updated now but will not get a chance to test till tomorrow.

Sounding very promising!

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

My FPS have vastly increased... from 40 in Caucasus to 80. From 25 in Dubai to 40.

:thumbup:

DEFENSOR FORTIS

Spoiler

Systems: Falcon NW Talon: Ryzen 9 5950X @4.9GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX 3090 FE; Falcon NW Mach V: Core i7 3930K @3.2GHz, 32GB DDR3, GTX 1080 FE

Cockpit: MonsterTech MTX F, 42" 4K TV, HP Reverb G2, Oculus Rift S, PointCTRL

Controls: RS F16SGRH CE, RS F18CGRH, VPC T-50CM2, VFX, WarBRD (Grips); VPC T-50CM2, RS FSSB R3L (Bases); Winwing F/A-18C, VPC T-50CM3, VPC T-50CM, TM Warthog, Cougar (Throttles); VPC ACE2 (Rudders)

I have had a vastly different experience. The flashes persist. The first night my headset refused to recognize that it was connected. And, there is some stuttering with head movement that I have never experienced before.

3700x, MSI 3080 Ventus 3x OC, 32 GB 3200mhz RAM, Rift S or Track IR, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Logitech Rudder Pedals

I have had a vastly different experience. The flashes persist. The first night my headset refused to recognize that it was connected. And, there is some stuttering with head movement that I have never experienced before.

Are you on the Public Test Channel?

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

My flashes are also gone. The one issue I have now is that the grip buttons on the Rift S Touch controllers can occasionally get "sticky", usually the right one. Running the Oculus Monitor tool shows that about every 4 or 5 presses the input gets "stuck" and persists at about half pressure for upwards of a second or more before it fully releases. The switch is mechanically clean and its not physically sticking at all, but the sensor is reading it as still activated at some degree when I let go. According to those on reddit that are seeing the same thing the issue seems to be related to the magnets on the battery case and cover. Taking the battery cover off helps but that's not a good long term fix. I put some thin material over the magnets on the base on cover and that also helped alot. Current best thinking is that some of the cover and base magnets are a bit too strong and causing interference with the grip buttons touch capacitive sensor. There was talk of a Oculus fix forthcoming, lets hope so.

For DCS it's a non-issue as I don't use the Touch Controllers in-game at all, but for games where you are constantly grabbing and dropping items and guns like in RoboRecall and H3VR, it is a massive annoyance.

Edited by Madmatt_BFC

A-10C, AV-8B, F-16C, F/A-18C, KA-50, Mi-8, UH-1H, FC3, CA, WWII, NTTR, Normandy, Persian Gulf

Gaming Rig: I7 7700k @5GHz, Corsair H115i Water Cooling, 32GB G.Skill TridentZ RGB 3600MHz DDR4 SDRAM, Aorus GeForce GTX 1080Ti, 2 x Samsung 960 Pro M.2 1TB NVMe SSD's, Warthog HOTAS w/ Slew mod, MFG Crosswind Pedals, 2 x TM Cougar MFD's, Oculus Rift-S, TrackIR 5, Asus ROG PG3480 34" GSync Monitor @3440x1440-100Hz, Asus 27" Monitor @1920x1080-144Hz, Windows 10 x64

Launch Oculus Home on your desktop (not in VR). Click Settings along the Left side row of options. Then Click Beta along the top. Turn on the option to enroll in the Public Test Channel.

Now you will get all the latest beta releases of firmware and Oculus Home code.

A-10C, AV-8B, F-16C, F/A-18C, KA-50, Mi-8, UH-1H, FC3, CA, WWII, NTTR, Normandy, Persian Gulf

Gaming Rig: I7 7700k @5GHz, Corsair H115i Water Cooling, 32GB G.Skill TridentZ RGB 3600MHz DDR4 SDRAM, Aorus GeForce GTX 1080Ti, 2 x Samsung 960 Pro M.2 1TB NVMe SSD's, Warthog HOTAS w/ Slew mod, MFG Crosswind Pedals, 2 x TM Cougar MFD's, Oculus Rift-S, TrackIR 5, Asus ROG PG3480 34" GSync Monitor @3440x1440-100Hz, Asus 27" Monitor @1920x1080-144Hz, Windows 10 x64

Well, fingers crossed, Rift all sorted for me now :) No flashes during a marathon test session and controllers tracking sweetly. Oddly I now have the USB driver warning showing, just a warning, everything works perfectly despite it :)

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.5GHz. Asus-Z170-PRO MB

CORSAIR H105 HYDRO CPU COOLER.

EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 Elite.

16GB DDR4 2666MHZ HYPERX SAVAGE.

SAMSUNG M.2 SSD 128GB SM951 Boot Drive.

SAMSUNG SSD 500GB EVO Working Drive.

Windows 10 Professional

+1

Good version for me too. No static white flashes anymore. :thumbup: The handcontrolers which worked worse for me since a couple updates ago are back to working perfectly fine for me again. :beer:

Modules: KA-50, A-10C, FC3, UH-1H, MI-8MTV2, CA, MIG-21bis, FW-190D9, Bf-109K4, F-86F, MIG-15bis, M-2000C, SA342 Gazelle, AJS-37 Viggen, F/A-18C, F-14, C-101, FW-190A8, F-16C, F-5E, JF-17, SC, Mi-24P Hind, AH-64D Apache, Mirage F1

System: Win 11 Pro 64bit, Ryzen 3800X, 32gb RAM DDR4-3200, PowerColor Radeon RX 6900XT Red Devil ,1 x Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe, 2 x Samsung SSD 2TB + 1TB SATA, MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals - VIRPIL T-50CM and VIRPIL MongoosT-50 Throttle - HP Reverg G2, using only the latest Open Beta, DCS settings

Launch Oculus Home on your desktop (not in VR). Click Settings along the Left side row of options. Then Click Beta along the top. Turn on the option to enroll in the Public Test Channel.

Now you will get all the latest beta releases of firmware and Oculus Home code.

Thanks! Did it during lunch. Downloaded about 12 updates and will give her a go when I get home.

3700x, MSI 3080 Ventus 3x OC, 32 GB 3200mhz RAM, Rift S or Track IR, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Logitech Rudder Pedals

My flashes are also gone. The one issue I have now is that the grip buttons on the Rift S Touch controllers can occasionally get "sticky", usually the right one. Running the Oculus Monitor tool shows that about every 4 or 5 presses the input gets "stuck" and persists at about half pressure for upwards of a second or more before it fully releases. The switch is mechanically clean and its not physically sticking at all, but the sensor is reading it as still activated at some degree when I let go. According to those on reddit that are seeing the same thing the issue seems to be related to the magnets on the battery case and cover. Taking the battery cover off helps but that's not a good long term fix. I put some thin material over the magnets on the base on cover and that also helped alot. Current best thinking is that some of the cover and base magnets are a bit too strong and causing interference with the grip buttons touch capacitive sensor. There was talk of a Oculus fix forthcoming, lets hope so.

For DCS it's a non-issue as I don't use the Touch Controllers in-game at all, but for games where you are constantly grabbing and dropping items and guns like in RoboRecall and H3VR, it is a massive annoyance.

My Rift S arrived today, fresh out of the box.

I'm not in beta mode (yet) but in the welcome apps I did notice a delay to release objects.

Can't image throwing a grenade with that :D

Mirage fanatic !

I7-7700K/ MSI RTX3080/ RAM 64 Go/ SSD / TM Hornet stick-Virpil WarBRD + Virpil CM3 Throttle + MFG Crosswind + Reverb G2.

Flickr gallery: https://www.flickr.com/gp/71068385@N02/728Hbi

My Rift S installed 13 updates tonight and now shows me as being at v 1.39.0. Im still getting white static flashes, albeit less frequently than before tonights updates.

Is that the version you guys are on that say your flashes have gone?

Thanks

Intel i7 8700K @ 5Ghz, Aorus Z370 Gaming5, 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3000MHz, Nvidia 3080Ti FE, Samsung 970 NVME, Samsung 512GB EVO SSD x 2, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Saitek Rudder Pedals, HP Reverb G2, Windows 11 x64, DCS Modules = FC3, A10c Warthog, F14 Tomcat, F18 Hornet, F16 Viper, Persian Gulf, Syria.

I think you probably need to go (In the Rift app) to Settings\Beta and enable the Public Test Channel. (So it turns blue) As has been mentioned already.

And: Another few hour long sessions without a flash!

Edited by Ron Attwood

I think you probably need to go (In the Rift app) to Settings\Beta and enable the Public Test Channel. (So it turns blue) As has been mentioned already.

And: Another few hour long sessions without a flash!

Thanks. I should have mentioned I have that enabled already.

What version of the app are you on, and did your firmware update as well as the app or just the Oculus app? My version is showing Oculus app version 1.39.0.272909

Thanks

Edited by parxuk

Intel i7 8700K @ 5Ghz, Aorus Z370 Gaming5, 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3000MHz, Nvidia 3080Ti FE, Samsung 970 NVME, Samsung 512GB EVO SSD x 2, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Saitek Rudder Pedals, HP Reverb G2, Windows 11 x64, DCS Modules = FC3, A10c Warthog, F14 Tomcat, F18 Hornet, F16 Viper, Persian Gulf, Syria.

I can confirm now for me the white static issue is gone with this latest firmware/software update to the Public Test Channel. Spent about 3 hours in VR this afternoon and not a single white flash.

Don B

Thanks. I should have mentioned I have that enabled already.

What version of the app are you on, and did your firmware update as well as the app or just the Oculus app? My version is showing Oculus app version 1.39.0.272909

Thanks

Apart from the 13 file updates, did you get the firmware update that follows?

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.5GHz. Asus-Z170-PRO MB

CORSAIR H105 HYDRO CPU COOLER.

EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 Elite.

16GB DDR4 2666MHZ HYPERX SAVAGE.

SAMSUNG M.2 SSD 128GB SM951 Boot Drive.

SAMSUNG SSD 500GB EVO Working Drive.

Windows 10 Professional

Apart from the 13 file updates, did you get the firmware update that follows?

No. Didn't get a firmware update. Don't know why? Is there a way to force the firmware update?