Rift S/W broken after update

Eldur

I don't know where to post, but I'll try putting it here.

Was just flying and trying the new MB-339A/PAN mod(ule), but I had to quit DCS and restart it. Then out of a sudden my Rift S/W said it would desparately need and update, otherwise it would not run anymore, kinda pulling off a Windows 10 forced update. OK, I just let that run through, but afterwards the program didn't come up again, so I tried a reboot and it won't help. It says the Oculus Service is not available. OTT says it's up though. Then I did try a repair, resulting in the setup dropping out with a message that says I'd need Windows6.1-KB3033929-x64 and Windows6.1-KB2670838-x64. I have both of them installed already. Looks like I'm now locked out of VR... fluttershysad.png

Anyone having similar issues or knowing a solution? fsgrin.png

Tried googling for some, but to no avail, as usual. Hints on the internet found by the Evil One are commonly so ambiguous you could just try reinstalling your whole rig instead of bothering doing a search even...

Edit: Running 7x64, just in case.

Edit 2: Tried running the installer I had already by running "OculusSetup.exe /bypassHotfixCheck /drive=E" to get the repair running. Had to do the same to do the initial install. I hope this will fix my issue.

Edit 3: That didn't help either... icon_question.gif

Edited by Eldur

dcsdashie-hb-ed.jpg

Zucked again ! I HATE forced updates . This one had nothing whatsoever to do with me , and i still had to endure a half-hour delay when i wanted to fly DCS .

Sorry to rant instead of being helpful . Is your Oculus installation on the same drive as windows and those files Oculus can't find ?

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

That's a bug with Win 7, there's a command line your going to have to run to get it beyond the frozen point, than all will work. They've known about it for years and refuse to fix it, even when Win 7 was still supported.

- Copy the file "OculusSetup.exe" onto your C: drive (not in any folder, just in the root).

- Open the command window by pressing the Windows button and typing "cmd" and press Enter..

- Type "C:" and press enter. When you are typing, don't use quotes (just type what's in between the quotes).

- Type "CD/" and press enter.

- Type "OculusSetup.exe /bypassHotfixCheck" and press enter.

Eldur I recently had a big headache with similar issue.

Same incapacity to launch software, in my case it was after installing a second DCS install (a release version, in addition to openbeta).

The only thing that worked (I think I tried everything before that) was to uninstall DCS release version. After that all was good. (repair of oculus went through and oculus software did launch)

Try to recall precisely what happened just before the issue. If it was a DCS update, then try to rollback previous version. If it was a mod, or an other software update not related give it a try and uninstall it.

Good luck

Eldur I recently had a big headache with similar issue.

Same incapacity to launch software, in my case it was after installing a second DCS install (a release version, in addition to openbeta).

The only thing that worked (I think I tried everything before that) was to uninstall DCS release version. After that all was good. (repair of oculus went through and oculus software did launch)

Try to recall precisely what happened just before the issue. If it was a DCS update, then try to rollback previous version. If it was a mod, or an other software update not related give it a try and uninstall it.

Good luck

Actually, I made one change... moved my Windows temp folder from D back to C because I went from having two partitions to just one on my main SSD and placed the second drive in a VHD. But that was apparently not causing the issue.

I might try uninstalling the Rift suite completely, reboot and then reinstall in clean. If that won't work either, I might try upgrading to Win 10. Support for 7 will end soon anyway. And before doing so, I'll create an image with Acronis anyway, so I could always revert to the old state in case something goes south, even with the key upgraded to Win 10... the installation on that backup is activated already after all, I just can't reactivate it as Win 7 then.

Maybe there will be other hints I could try, I'll not be at home for two weeks now, and I'll look into the issue when I'll be back.

dcsdashie-hb-ed.jpg

Did your's ask to do a firmware update after the Oculus software update?

Airdog

| Asus ROG Strix Z370-E Mobo | i7 8700K @ 4.7 | 32 GB DDR4@3200mhz | Gigabyte 2080Ti OC 11GB| Samsung M.2 960 Evo 250Gb and 500Gb | Win10 Pro | Hotas Warthog #02743 | Track IR 5 | Toshiba 47" 120hz LED | Acer 23" Touchscreen | HELIOS |Oculus Rift-S|

http://www.blackknightssquadron.com/

I might try upgrading to Win 10. Support for 7 will end soon anyway.

A tip from my side: Don't do that, since this is not the problem most probably.

I had this / or a very similar problem in the past, but solved it in a totally clean way and have no problems anymore.

PM me in order to receive my mobilephone number, in order to talk instead of endles writing (easier for me).

Visit https://www.viggen.training
...Viggen... what more can you ask for?

my computer:
AMD Ryzen 5600G | NVIDIA GTX 1080 Ti OC 11GB | 32 GB 3200 MHz DDR4 DUAL | SSD 980 256 GB SYS + SSD 2TB DCS | TM Warthog Stick + Throttle + TPR | Rift CV1

Pretty much looks like my problem. Also tried running that OVRServer_x64.exe as well and got the Kernel error mentioned there. I guess I'll try out downgrading those files (downloads are provided for that) first. If that won't help either, I might get into contact with TOViper, thanks for your offer ajmug.png

But I'll be able to do all that in 2 weeks, let's see if something changes on Oculus' side perhaps in meantime.

dcsdashie-hb-ed.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Just to update on my issue. I found this and used the downgrade tool to go back to the older version which then initiated an update to the new one includung that hotfix. Software is up and running, just didn't plug my HMD yet, but I guess it will work. Stepping up to Win 10 is planned for the near future anyway for various reasons, but for now I just want to be able to try out the new fancy things that came with the last two updates luna-trcv.png

dcsdashie-hb-ed.jpg