[NO BUG] No AP : indicator?

Snacko

I have noticed this for months, but this is the first time I am posting about it..

Sometimes (often it seems), when I select the autopilot, and click on an option (usually BALT or RALT) I don't see the : symbol in front of the selected option. There is no way to tell which option is enabled. However, the Altitude is being held for me. When I move my stick a little, I can only turn left or right. Up and down is locked it, as it should be.

Is this a bug? Why doesn't the : indicator appear?

Also, when you turn AP, IFF, TCN.. On/Off. Are you supposed to 'HOLD' the On/Off button for a few seconds? Or just press it like a normal button? (I think I read somewhere that you should hold it.) But often pressing or holding it does not show the 'ON' text, or does not clear the display when I press Off.

The Manual just says this about the On/Off button:

ON/OFF Pushbuttons. Activates or deactivates selected function

Intel I9-10850K (OC @ 5.0ghz) │ Asus Maximus XII Hero │ G.Skill Ripjaws 64GB (4x16GB) DDR4 3200 │ Thermaltake Water 360mm
Gigabyte RTX 4090 Gaming OC 24gb │ 2TB M.2 EVO Pro; 1T M.2 EVO; Sandisk SSD Drives │ 49" Samsung Curved Widescreen │ 28" Touchscreen

- ҉ - Blackshark Cockpit Trainer - ҉ -    Thread   | Download

Heck... I always see it. When you select A/P on the UFC and select a mode like BALT you get an indicator like a colon (:BALT ) which indicates it is selected. There is no separate annunciator light to tell you that you have an A/P mode engaged.

On/Off Button for Tacan, ILS works on one press most of the time. Sometimes I do have to click it a couple of times but I wrote that off as my fault. Lately, I make sure I am squarely “on” the button when I press it and it works first click.

If I see a glitch like this I usually write it off to something to do with the fact I am in MP. I see a-lot of little things that are funky in MP.

Edited by MegOhm_SD

Cooler Master HAF XB EVO , ASUS P8Z77-V, i7-3770K @ 4.6GHz, Noctua AC, 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro, EVGA 1080TI 11GB, 2 Samsung 840 Pro 540GB SSDs Raid 0, 1TB HDD, EVGA SuperNOVA 1300W PS, G930 Wireless SS Headset, TrackIR5/Wireless Proclip, TM Warthog, Saitek Pro Combat Pedals, 75" Samsung 4K QLED, HP Reverb G2, Win 10

Hmmm. OK. Guess I'll try removing all my mods and adjust the ufc brightness.

Sent from my Moto Z Play using Tapatalk

Intel I9-10850K (OC @ 5.0ghz) │ Asus Maximus XII Hero │ G.Skill Ripjaws 64GB (4x16GB) DDR4 3200 │ Thermaltake Water 360mm
Gigabyte RTX 4090 Gaming OC 24gb │ 2TB M.2 EVO Pro; 1T M.2 EVO; Sandisk SSD Drives │ 49" Samsung Curved Widescreen │ 28" Touchscreen

Hmmm. OK. Guess I'll try removing all my mods and adjust the ufc brightness.

wouldn't it be easier to attach a trak file first?

my : shows only if I turn it on within the AP limits. The AP turns on anyway in a special mode. Even if : are not shown.

a track file would be of help I bet.

I should eliminate all mods for a pure test first. If it still happens I'll make a track.

But what is the 'Special' AP mode you are talking about?

FWIW, I'm getting the same.. No : next to BALT, but the plane seems to hold altittude. I move the stick just a bit and then the : will often appear.

I am having the same issue as well. Also, when BALT finally shows the [:], the aircraft does not seem to hold altitude for long, and will start a slow descent. I have noticed similar issues with ATT hold.

Overall the autopilot functionality seems very buggy.

the baro alt : and the real baro alt mode of AP starts only if you engage it around level flight.

If you engage it climbing or diving too much then a certain AP mode gets turned ON. which is not the hold mode you wanted. (btw: it is great for air refueling, but thats another story.)

you can disengage this special mode by disengaing the autopilot.

I reccomend testing: fly straight and level and turn AP on by selecting baro alt. your : shoud turn on.

right?

@Sedlo: you move the plane towards level flight and the : appears. That's how it works in this special mode (don't know what it is called IRL).

Edited by Tom Kazansky

I can confirm this bug is there for like 3+ month now, before that AP worked perfectly.

So indication and slow descent, rarely it works and holds altitude but 90% time it isn't. And I firmly remember it worked perfectly earlier - you pressed it and it was holding the alt ofc within reasonable limits not 80deg climbing.

OB Tracks.

Tracks.rar

thanks for the tracks!

I took a look and first I found it strange, too. caus it was not like it should be and flying at my machine was different (means it worked correctly).

but then I was able to totaly reproduce your flight by myself with every behaviour of both of your tracks.

what I did is simple: it was enough to get the stick verticaly deflected just a bit, so the diamond in the red axis indicator was just a little bit out of center. exactly the amount yours was in the tracks. and tataaa... ":" went off and ":" did not go on while descending -250 ft/min and did not turn on while moving stick vertically just out of the small center diamond.

I don't know if this little stick deflection has been enough in earlier versions of DCS. But now it seems to be that way.

Just to test if this makes sense: put in a vertical deadzone to your Y-axis. Just for the test and it should work. If so, your stick is not centered enough without deadzone.

It should have nothing to do with my stick.

The aircraft obviously goes into BALT and RALT. AP is working. When it is enabled, the : should be on. They are 'linked'.

I'll wait for some official response from ED.

Thanks.

• ED Team

Hi Snacko

are you using any unofficial modifications or tweaks?

If so can you ensure you have done a cleanup and repair.

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

Hi Snacko

are you using any unofficial modifications or tweaks?

If so can you ensure you have done a cleanup and repair.

Oops, yea, .. I forgot to remove my mods in the previous tracks.

Attached is a track after I removed all of my mods, repaired, and cleaned. I even used a clean Saved Games OB folder.

This is the Instant Action/Free Flight Mission for the FA18c.

It is still happening..

FA18 AP No Colon - No Mods, Repaired, Cleaned, New SavedGames folder too.trk

• ED Team
It is still happening..

Hello Snacko!

To ensure I have correct track replay, can I specify some things?

1. Did you have different position of two throttles?

2. Did you turn BALT on around the 29th second? And did you not see : at this moment?

3. And then, around the 42 second did you pull stick a little? And : appeared at this moment?

Edited by cofcorpse

Hello Snacko!

To ensure I have correct track replay, can I specify some things?

1. Did you have different position of two throttles?

No, both throttles were the same. I am very sure. But I see on the Control Indicator what you mean. The game probably sees them as different. It's an x55 Throttle and sometimes I have to move them when I first start in the pit so that the game sees their correct position.

2. Did you turn BALT on around the 29th second? And did you not see : at this moment?

Yes, I turned BAlt on at about the 29th second. And Yes, I did see the : at that moment.

3. And then, around the 42 second did you pull stick a little? And : appeared at this moment?

Yes, I pulled the stick. No, the : was already visible, but it disappeared at this point.

I had to watch the track over again to get your answers.

Great, thank you! I have the same results. Could specify when did you encounter the problem? At what second, I mean
I'm not at my pc now. But normally if I spawn in and just fly straight and turn on BALT I will get the :.

It seem like I can get this problem to happen if I first turn the plane and level out first. Then turn on BALT.

Do you want me to watch the track again to see when it first happens? Or maybe I could start a few new flights and document when it starts? .. Or if I can see a consistent sequence of events that lead up to it.

But this seemed like such a random occurance over the past several months that it was just an annoyance. So I never paid much attention to the cause.

would you mind considering, just to prove that I'm wrong, to test a vertical (Y-axis) deadzone, just for 1 minute?

I did set a 10 Deadzone on the Y/Pitch Axis. Flew it with this Deadzone and again without. No difference.

Great, thank you! I have the same results. Could specify when did you encounter the problem? At what second, I mean

Attached is a flight, flying straight ahead. It appears that when I move the stick there is a certain smaller point of movement which removes the colon from the BALT setting. And a larger level of movement which removes/Disables the BALT AP. I would expect them to be linked together.. When AP is disabled, the : is removed. But this is not the case.

FA18c AP Colon BAL Fly Straight.trk