Potential Hardware issue... Need guru

Hi all. I'm need some input / help as to why my system takes so long to load DCS. I have been away from DCS for close on a year, and never before remembered it taking so long.

My system is as following... Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit, GeForce GTX 980 4GB DDR5, INTEL i7 4790K @4.0 GHz, 16GB DDR3

After I start my PC, it takes 02m26 to launch DCS from the time I double click the icon until the main page. If I then shut it down and re-start the game, it only takes 18secs to start.

The worst is loading a flight for the first time after starting DCS. I take Instant Action / F/A-18C / Persian Gulf / Free flight...... That flight takes 12m25 to load. When I unpause there are no performance issues.... its smooth and responsive. If I exit the flight and reload the same situation without shutting down DCS, It only takes 26secs to start the flight.

I have my Windows on a 250MB SSD, and everything else including DCS on and old 1TB HDD. That drive is approx 85% full. Could this be the problem? could I expect a major improvement on loading speeds if I move my DCS to a 500MB SSD? Is my HDD on its way out?

Any input would be appreciated

BW

• ED Team

Hi bladewalker

First load of DCS usually takes a little longer, it has some checks to do and load shaders.

You may find your pagefile is set to low and adjusting it may help.

Putting DCS on a SSD will help also but not essential.

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

Hi bladewalker

First load of DCS usually takes a little longer, it has some checks to do and load shaders.

Ok rog that, but doesn't 12.5 minutes sound a little excessive? that's more than half a sitcom :megalol:

You may find your pagefile is set to low and adjusting it may help.
Could you explain what that is and how I could check it?

Thank you

If you don't know what a pagefile is, it's probably way too big anyway. Set it to a fixed size on a fast drive so your physical memory and it will add up to 32GB (make it 16384MB in your case), which should be enough.

Moving DCS to an SSD would be a good step to improve loading performance (including loading stuff while the sim is already running).

dcsdashie-hb-ed.jpg

I'll bet money it's the fact you have it on an old, slow spinning rust hard drive. Though 12 minutes is excessive. Once you'd loaded the game and module either Windows or DCS (or both) keeps parts memory resident so they load faster next time.

Honestly, seeing how inexpensive drives are these days, I'd upgrade both the HDD and SDD. You could more than double both drives for just over $100 total, especially if you watch for sales.

Windows 10 64-bit | Ryzen 9 3900X 4.00GHz (OC) | Asus Strix B450-F | 64GB Corsair Vengeance @ 3000MHz | two Asus GeForce 1070 Founders Edition (second card used for CUDA only) | two Silicon Power 1TB NVMe in RAID-0 | Samsung 32" 1440p Monitor | two ASUS 23" 1080p monitors | ASUS Mixed Reality VR | Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS | MFG Crosswind

A-10C Warthog | AV-8B Harrier (N/A) | F/A-18C Hornet | F-16C Viper | F-14B Tomcat | UH-1H Huey | P-51D Mustang | F-86F Saber | Persian Gulf | NTTR

If you don't know what a pagefile is, it's probably way too big anyway. Set it to a fixed size on a fast drive so your physical memory and it will add up to 32GB (make it 16384MB in your case), which should be enough.

No, don't touch the page file, set it to automatic and just let Windows handle it. What you said was true 20 years ago, but not so much today. Microsoft knows more than you ever will about the needs of Windows and how it uses the pagefile.

Windows 10 64-bit | Ryzen 9 3900X 4.00GHz (OC) | Asus Strix B450-F | 64GB Corsair Vengeance @ 3000MHz | two Asus GeForce 1070 Founders Edition (second card used for CUDA only) | two Silicon Power 1TB NVMe in RAID-0 | Samsung 32" 1440p Monitor | two ASUS 23" 1080p monitors | ASUS Mixed Reality VR | Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS | MFG Crosswind

A-10C Warthog | AV-8B Harrier (N/A) | F/A-18C Hornet | F-16C Viper | F-14B Tomcat | UH-1H Huey | P-51D Mustang | F-86F Saber | Persian Gulf | NTTR

I'll bet money it's the fact you have it on an old, slow spinning rust hard drive. Though 12 minutes is excessive. Once you'd loaded the game and module either Windows or DCS (or both) keeps parts memory resident so they load faster next time.

Honestly, seeing how inexpensive drives are these days, I'd upgrade both the HDD and SDD. You could more than double both drives for just over $100 total, especially if you watch for sales.

Read the OP :music_whistling: Yes, an old 1TB HDD

Bladewalker,

you have 1 serious issue and also a pending one, your aging Win7 HP that has an EOL January 2020. You need to upgrade to 10 one or the other way. Once you are at 10, you can also use more than 16GB RAM, like 32GB, which is recommended for heavy missions and MP.

No doubt, 85% is borderline full and the fuller it gets the slower it becomes. 12 minutes sounds ok to me given what you have, slooow disk, medium RAM...there you have your answer.

Get a 500GB ( not MB ) 2.5" SSD and you have that covered.

Then upgrade to 10 Pro. You have a good chance to get it still for free. If not, I bought my last one on ebay for 3,67€ and it works, bought Office2019 Pro for 16€..and it works...and bought a SRV2016 for 16 as well...all work. No need to buy expensive...and it's all legal.

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

Read the OP :music_whistling: Yes, an old 1TB HDD

Bladewalker,

you have 1 serious issue and also a pending one, your aging Win7 HP that has an EOL January 2020. You need to upgrade to 10 one or the other way. Once you are at 10, you can also use more than 16GB RAM, like 32GB, which is recommended for heavy missions and MP.

No doubt, 85% is borderline full and the fuller it gets the slower it becomes. 12 minutes sounds ok to me given what you have, slooow disk, medium RAM...there you have your answer.

Then upgrade to 10 Pro. You have a good chance to get it still for free. If not, I bought my last one on ebay for 3,67€ and it works, bought Office2019 Pro for 16€..and it works...and bought a SRV2016 for 16 as well...all work. No need to buy expensive...and it's all legal.

And while you wait to upgrade to a bigger SSD, a few questions . how much space is left on the 250GB SSD? Is Windows installed on it, or is it installed on the 1TB HD? I'm guessing the latter. Is DCS installed on the SSD or the 1 TB HD?

Either way, you may have a pagefile on the HD. And it's probably swapping using that page file. The earlier link (I'm assuming) will show you how to change the location of the pagefile. I would keep it at auto and let Windows manage it. But make sure Windows and DCS is on the SSD, along with the pagefile. It's a tight fit, but you should be able to.

Finally, exempt the DCS program folder and the SAVED GAMES folder. The program folder should be under "Program Files\Eagle Dynamics" And the SAVED GAMES should be under c:\users\Your_User_Name\SAVED GAMES.

I think in Win7, it may be something other than "c:\users" I can't remember. But it should be easy enough to find.

And Win7 is dangerously too old. Google for how you can still get a free win10 upgrade from Win7.

Edited by hansangb

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

I was dreading this inevitable eventuality :cry:

What is an acceptable R/W rate when I purchase a new SSD? I see there is quite a range, and obviously that impacts on price.

And while you wait to upgrade to a bigger SSD, a few questions . how much space is left on the 250GB SSD? Is Windows installed on it, or is it installed on the 1TB HD? I'm guessing the latter. Is DCS installed on the SSD or the 1 TB HD?

Either way, you may have a pagefile on the HD. And it's probably swapping using that page file. The earlier link (I'm assuming) will show you how to change the location of the pagefile. I would keep it at auto and let Windows manage it. But make sure Windows and DCS is on the SSD, along with the pagefile. It's a tight fit, but you should be able to.

Finally, exempt the DCS program folder and the SAVED GAMES folder. The program folder should be under "Program Files\Eagle Dynamics" And the SAVED GAMES should be under c:\users\Your_User_Name\SAVED GAMES.

See pic to see what my page file settings are.

Windows and a couple of other programs are on the 250GB SSD ©. DCS is on the 1TB HDD (D). the SSD is 75% full, with 59GB free. I see my DCS folder is about 200GB.

What do you mean by this? exempt the DCS program folder and the SAVED GAMES folder

BW

PageFile.jpg.d4385b8663918f186a8cd0c6a71ec840.jpg

R/W rate for a 2.5"SSD should be around 560/500MB/sec Read/Write and about 90-100k IOPS.

With "exempt" he means to EXCLUDE those folders from ON-ACCESS scanning by your AV Scanner, whichever you use. This may have an impact depending on what scanner you use.

On my end, I use Avira Pro at the moment, it does not interfere so I have mine not excluded, but it may be wise to do anyway, just in case...maybe later today..haha

A good SSD is Samsung 860 Evo or Pro, Crucial MX500.

I would not buy a QLC ( quad level cell ) for gaming. The more levels, the slower the disk will get when stressed heavily. TLC ( tripple level cell ) is somewhat of a compromise we take as a SLC ( single level cell and ULTRA fast in IOPS and sustained heavy loads ) is like a ten-fold higher in price ( for servers mainly.

I just quoted 3 SSD's for a Dell Server...the cheapest Sata based ones with 480GB and MLC ( Multi levelcell, 2 or 3 that is , I hope ) are around 600€ w/o tax per piece. Now imagine SLC drives...OLA !

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

I was dreading this inevitable eventuality :cry:

What is an acceptable R/W rate when I purchase a new SSD? I see there is quite a range, and obviously that impacts on price.

See pic to see what my page file settings are.

Windows and a couple of other programs are on the 250GB SSD ©. DCS is on the 1TB HDD (D). the SSD is 75% full, with 59GB free. I see my DCS folder is about 200GB.

What do you mean by this? exempt the DCS program folder and the SAVED GAMES folder

BW

I know people like to bash Win10 but honestly, I think it's better than Win7. And win7 was great!

What I mean is you should tell you anti-virus program to *not* scan those folders used by DCS.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

If you have a mainboard with M.2 slots, then you can get a M.2 SSD. That will increase read speed by factor 7 compared to "old" ssd drives and 70 times faster than your hdd.

They are almost the size of an usb stick and you just plug them directly into the mainboard.

E.g. samsung 970 evo plus 500GB is 89coins where i live. Then you get 3.5GB per sec readspeed.

So if there are no other limiting factors loading a mission should take about 10 seconds.

Gesendet von meinem SM-G960F mit Tapatalk

Edited by OG84

Favorite module: F16C 💥
Currently learning F15E 👨‍🏫
13900k - RTX 4090 - 64GB DDR5 - Varjo Aero - TM Warthog Hotas - Pedals

If you have a mainboard with M.2 slots, then you can get a M.2 SSD. That will increase read speed by factor 7 compared to "old" ssd drives and 70 times faster than your hdd.

They are almost the size of an usb stick and you just plug them directly into the mainboard.

E.g. samsung 970 evo plus 500GB is 89coins where i live. Then you get 3.5GB per sec readspeed.

So if there are no other limiting factors loading a mission should take about 10 seconds.

Gesendet von meinem SM-G960F mit Tapatalk

He's running a Z97 or H97 chipset, looking at his CPU.

Those only have2x PCIe for M2-NVMe.

So, no, NVMe 970 Evo Plus is no option for him UNLESS he plans to upgrade sooner than later as than, he can plug it in a x4 M2 socket and get the full speed.

• 5 weeks later...

Hi guys. thanks very much for all the suggestions.

At this stage, I'm just going to upgrade to SSD's, Windows 10, and double my RAM to 32GB.

Just one question though...........

With those changes listed above, will I need to De-activate my modules, and re-activate them after the upgrade? I do want to do a fresh install of DCS.

Thanks in advance

BW

Hi guys. thanks very much for all the suggestions.

At this stage, I'm just going to upgrade to SSD's, Windows 10, and double my RAM to 32GB.

Just one question though...........

With those changes listed above, will I need to De-activate my modules, and re-activate them after the upgrade? I do want to do a fresh install of DCS.

Thanks in advance

BW

yes, deactivate 1st.