LockOn with Linux

I know its directX driven simulator. But Im curious. Due to the fact that Linux has come a long way and has proven itself in the business area of beeing a stable & viable OS. Also since LockOn was built in the intentions of the future market. Does the Dev's has tought of bringing this sim to linux fans? Most of LockOn players I met so far are technicaly incline so I was woundering about the subject. Im curious. The implemations I know, are tremondus. But personally, all worth wild.

Thanks in advance.

LocKOn- 4 ever

Re: LockOn with Linux

I know its directX driven simulator. But Im curious. Due to the fact that Linux has come a long way and has proven itself in the business area of beeing a stable & viable OS. Also since LockOn was built in the intentions of the future market. Does the Dev's has tought of bringing this sim to linux fans? Most of LockOn players I met so far are technicaly incline so I was woundering about the subject. Im curious. The implemations I know, are tremondus. But personally, all worth wild.

Thanks in advance.

LocKOn- 4 ever

Moose, you're making more noise than a Sorbitsyia. Just how much free time do you have? :shock:

They've said no before - it would mean twice the programming, twice (or more!) the testing (Have yous een all the freaking linux distros out there?) whining about 3rd party drivers or even company drivers fo rthe newest or even not so newest cards not being up to snuff, and so on.

In other words, not very likely, sad, but them's the breaks. I'll be happy if they make a dedi server inux binary though, that would rock.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

Was it Linux, or Mac that required OpenGL?

Last time the OpenGL question was asked . . . . . the answer was that no OpenGL rewrite would be forthcoming, since it would require a complete graphics engine rewrite. And I do mean a "complete" rewrite.

However, there has been mention of one of the less-distributed OS's running Lomac - go to Ubi and search for details, might yield something of interest.

Thanks in advance.

LocKOn- 4 ever

Moose, you're making more noise than a Sorbitsyia. Just how much free time do you have? :shock:

They've said no before - it would mean twice the programming, twice (or more!) the testing (Have yous een all the freaking linux distros out there?) whining about 3rd party drivers or even company drivers fo rthe newest or even not so newest cards not being up to snuff, and so on.

In other words, not very likely, sad, but them's the breaks. I'll be happy if they make a dedi server inux binary though, that would rock.

I know, But I have to push the subject. Im pushed by the linux community. No hard feeling. Im just a linux fan. Want more for Linux, A tech....No choice of dealing with M. Gates software I guess. What do they call it, Monopoly. They own too much lol.

can't agree, GGTharos.

besides of graphics part, developing for Linux is smooth and easy, especially a network algorithms. So I wouldn't be surprised when ED will release a dedicated server for both systems.

"There are five dangerous faults which may affect a general: recklessness, which leads to destruction; cowardice, which leads to capture; a hasty temper, which can be provoked by insults; a delicacy of honor which is sensitive to shame; over-solicitude for his men, which exposes him to worry and trouble." Sun Tzu

[sigpic]http://forums.eagle.ru/signaturepics/sigpic2354_5.gif[/sigpic]

can't agree, GGTharos.

besides of graphics part, developing for Linux is smooth and easy, especially a network algorithms. So I wouldn't be surprised when ED will release a dedicated server for both systems.

That I agree with. But consider that if you end up dynamically linking to libs, you might end up in a bit of trouble.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

that's why I trying to compile my linux projects as static as possible :)

"There are five dangerous faults which may affect a general: recklessness, which leads to destruction; cowardice, which leads to capture; a hasty temper, which can be provoked by insults; a delicacy of honor which is sensitive to shame; over-solicitude for his men, which exposes him to worry and trouble." Sun Tzu

• 1 year later...
developing for Linux is smooth and easy, especially a network algorithms. So I wouldn't be surprised when ED will release a dedicated server for both systems.

Ahh.. the holy grail of multiplayer community... it should have been ready yesterday.

51PVO Founding member (DEC2007-)

100KIAP Founding member (DEC2018-)

:: Shaman aka [100☭] Shamansky

tail# 44 or 444

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] 100KIAP Regiment Early Warning & Control officer

I personally would love a mac version.

Yeah... next would be GeCube I supose... :D C'mon... a niche game for a niche computer hardware.

A linux dedicated server would be ok but let's not derail now. How many Linux machines did you see with 2GB ram 2 7900GTX SLI and a FX top notch CPU?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I5 4670k, 32GB, GTX 1070, Thrustmaster TFRP, G940 Throttle extremely modded with Bodnar 0836X and Bu0836A,

Warthog Joystick with F-18 grip, Oculus Rift S - Almost all is made from gifts from friends, the most expensive parts at least

How many Linux machines did you see with 2GB ram 2 7900GTX SLI and a FX top notch CPU?

That's exactly what mine has zaelu, minus the FX :)

Tried getting IL2 to work in WINE on Slackware, got pretty far but not quite far enough. Would load up a map and then crash. I'd guess i'd have more luck with cedega but it really isn't in my interest to try. I've never tried emulating lock on, it barely works on it's native platform :)

Exactly my point yamangman :D

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I5 4670k, 32GB, GTX 1070, Thrustmaster TFRP, G940 Throttle extremely modded with Bodnar 0836X and Bu0836A,

Warthog Joystick with F-18 grip, Oculus Rift S - Almost all is made from gifts from friends, the most expensive parts at least

A dedicated server, sure. But a client version for Linux?

What's the advantage to ED, or the customer? Quite limited.

Let's focus on the content first, this seems to be taking enough time.

Btw, DirectX is a lot more than just Direct3D.

Well, I personally know someone who'd start flying LOMAC the very second a Linux version became available ;) But I realize that 99.9% of all simmers aren't as militant in their refusal to use Windows for whatever reason :D

I do think an OGL-based engine would be prudent for ED's future projects though, now that Macs are finally running on more competitive hardware there might be a sizeable market for an OSX-compatible flightsim. Most likely they would be rewriting the greater part of the engine anyway.

Btw, DirectX is a lot more than just Direct3D.

True that, but DirectPlay for example is of dubious value, as per Dmut's comments (correct me if I'm wrong). What else is there that would present a significant challenge when porting?

I know, But I have to push the subject. Im pushed by the linux community. No hard feeling. Im just a linux fan. Want more for Linux, A tech....No choice of dealing with M. Gates software I guess. What do they call it, Monopoly. They own too much lol.

I'm with ya if LOMAC ran on Linux I'd be happy the ansewer is called Cegeda don't know if it will work nut if ED were to code for that and not windows ...they wouldn't need to do two versions.

Linux dedicated server for LockOn is not in the plans.

Linux dedicated server for gext-gen ED's simulator is in the plans.

case closed.