Litening II

BioZ

Got it. No, I agree. The highest priority items for me are the TGP, TWS (no idea how we still dont have TWS radar mode) and the full INS/GPS simulation. Then I'd like to see drag adjustments to various loadouts and the clean configuration. Only THEN should new weapons be added in my opinion.

That's not how it works though - they've got multiple engineers working on the Hornet and at this point it seems one person is doing the TGP, one person is doing MSI/TWS, another person is doing the INS, and someone else is doing weapons (e.g. JDAM / JSOW / Harpoon) . There's been multiple engineers tackling different features at the same time all the way through development. Adding more people to one feature doesn't necessarily speed up that feature.

yes the actual aircraft does, I never said otherwise that it is functional in dcs right now

Other than the hornet doesn't need ECM pods, and even so i dont think they are issued them IRL. dont recall any mounted ECM pods as part of the planned features.

Either way with how oversimplified ecm jamming currently is within DCS overall, no i don't feel a functioning Hornet ECM is anywhere near as big a priority as a TGP.

The australians use ECM pods on their hornets

, I don't know regarding the US though.

There are not any news for TGP...but I still hope that we may get it in next OB (17 July). BTW what version of LITENING we will get? I noticed that A-10C has LITENING AT (advanced targeting)now, which is improved version of LITENING II pod, and also its in blue color. Will we get the same version of this pod for Hornet too?

..:NAVY PILOTS ARE THE THE BEST PILOTS:..

I guess that's what we'll get since the 3D model upgrade was done for the Hornet in the first place.

Also, NineLine said ED was planning an OB this week just one ago, but apparently ED decided to put out the Stable update instead, probably to have the TGP in the oven for another week to actually be able to deliver it finally next week. Looking forward to it, but if it still might not arrive yet, I'd still have tons of other things to do in DCS and outside of that.

dcsdashie-hb-ed.jpg

There are not any news for TGP...but I still hope that we may get it in next OB (17 July). BTW what version of LITENING we will get? I noticed that A-10C has LITENING AT (advanced targeting)now, which is improved version of LITENING II pod, and also its in blue color. Will we get the same version of this pod for Hornet too?

The Litening 2 on the A10C was always the AT model.

and the one the Hornet get will also be the same one.

Build:

Windows 10 64 bit Pro

Case/Tower: Corsair Graphite 760tm ,Asus Strix Z790 Motherboard, Intel Core i7 12700k ,Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 64gb ram (3600 mhz) , (Asus strix oc edition) Nvidia RTX 3080 12gb , Evga g2 850 watt psu, Hardrives ; Samsung 970 EVo, , Samsung evo 860 pro 1 TB SSD, Samsung evo 850 pro 1TB SSD,  WD 1TB HDD

Quick, someone Photoshop in an A-10 Litening screen into a Hornet MFD!

Nice try, but sorry won't work out since A-10C has colored MFD and F/A-18C uses only green colors on DDI for tgp.

The Litening 2 on the A10C was always the AT model.

and the one the Hornet get will also be the same one.

I'd love for DCS to actually model the differences in sensor resolution between those two...

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

I'd love for DCS to actually model the differences in sensor resolution between those two...

what two?

both versions are the Litening 2 AT. Why would there be different sensor resolution with the same model?

Edited by Kev2go

Build:

Windows 10 64 bit Pro

Case/Tower: Corsair Graphite 760tm ,Asus Strix Z790 Motherboard, Intel Core i7 12700k ,Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 64gb ram (3600 mhz) , (Asus strix oc edition) Nvidia RTX 3080 12gb , Evga g2 850 watt psu, Hardrives ; Samsung 970 EVo, , Samsung evo 860 pro 1 TB SSD, Samsung evo 850 pro 1TB SSD,  WD 1TB HDD

what two?

both versions are the Litening 2 AT. Why would there be different sensor resolution with the same model?

I meant between different pods and sensors. The AT IIRC had a 1k sensor and the original had a 640 core. The Gaz thermal is a good example of this (640 sensor, looks just like the litening pod with a 1k sensor). As is the lantrin pod on the 14 (320 core IIRC).

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

I meant between different pods and sensors. The AT IIRC had a 1k sensor and the original had a 640 core. The Gaz thermal is a good example of this (640 sensor, looks just like the litening pod with a 1k sensor). As is the lantrin pod on the 14 (320 core IIRC).
This depends on the resolution of cockpit displays option.

Because of that, in DCS, a way to simulate the pod quality is to either render the TGP video separately from the rest of the PiPs, at its real resolution

Or

Apply a blur filter on top of the TGP video, when a lower quality pod is used (the highest quality TGP would have the filter to 0%).

The vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VFA-34.png

F/A-18C, F-15E, AV-8B, F-16C, JF-17, A-10C/CII, M-2000C, F-14, AH-64D, BS2, UH-1H, P-51D, Sptifire, FC3
-
i9-13900K, 64GB @6400MHz RAM, 4090 Strix OC, Samsung 990 Pro

Ahh i understand, but to clarify its the Litening 2 G4 that has 1K resolution, which is what succeeded the AT version. L2 AT had 640 x 512 resolution which was carried over from preceding ER version.

Prior to that the original Litening 2 had only a 320x 240p resolution

So that being said currently the resoultion of the L2 on the A10 is still too good, unless ED wants to also include ( or change) it to the Litening 2 G4.

Edited by Kev2go

Build:

Windows 10 64 bit Pro

Maybe newest TPODs have 4K resolution :D

wouldnt that be cool.

Although kind of pointless if even the best most modern cockpit displays dont even have as high native resolution.

Also Inb4 some users here go " ahahahaha military is so behind, that even my consumer market TV has better resolution than military displays and thier targeting devices "

after all i recall on another forum i had people confused because the 3 watt VHF radio is not able to broadcast over 10 miles while transmitting live-video feeds at the same time. And the argument was "but my cellphone can do that, why is the military so behind"

Edited by Kev2go

Build:

Windows 10 64 bit Pro

Also Inb4 some users here go " ahahahaha military is so behind, that even my consumer market TV has better resolution than military displays and thier targeting devices "

Just counter that with the ABRIS which runs a 486 CPU with 2 Gigs of RAM, 32MB video mem, a reasonably huge flash disk and a shiny LCD attached. Mine didn't have all that back then...

And as long as we'll be getting a TGP at all soon, I'll be happy fsgrin.png

BTW for those who were wondering just like me, why there's no weekend news this time: 12 June — Day of Russia;

dcsdashie-hb-ed.jpg

Just counter that with the ABRIS which runs a 486 CPU with 2 Gigs of RAM, 32MB video mem, a reasonably huge flash disk and a shiny LCD attached. Mine didn't have all that back then...

And as long as we'll be getting a TGP at all soon, I'll be happy fsgrin.png

BTW for those who were wondering just like me, why there's no weekend news this time: 12 June — Day of Russia;

I wasn't saying that, but rather mocking the typical layperson response for those uniterested in defence industry.

But yet in spite of the advanced hardware ( especially considering its Russian) on the ka50 the meager amount of waypoints ( was it like 7 or 8?) you can store not impressive given that's the sort of hardware in it.

As individual private consumer ( would have only generally been for industry grade applications) It certainly was possible to build what would have passed as a enthusiast pc with those kind of specs back then in the mid to late 90s . It just would have been very expensive, and unnecessary for just about anything you used computers for back then, and that typical MS OS wax generally limited to less RAM.

The First mass produced consumer grade LCD was the EZIO L66 available in 1995 on the consumer market, IT just took until the 2000's for them to become commonplace and stores to stop selling CRT's because like all electronics new technology is expensive at debut, but becomes more affordable and distributed over time.

Like just a few years ago it was something of a prestige to own 4k tv's. Now 4K TV are mainstream, and fairly affordable, with 8K being the next new thing.

So just because you didn't own hardware that good back then doesn't mean it didn't exist outside of military.

Edited by Kev2go

Build:

Windows 10 64 bit Pro

Interestingly it says 07-12-2019, 07:23 AM. Guess they write those up way before moving them to their respective place where we can see them.

So just because you didn't own hardware that good back then doesn't mean it didn't exist outside of military.

Well, there always have been Crays rainbowdashwink.png

It's just unusual to have a 486 paired with the rest of the specs. My 66MHz DX2 had 16MB of RAM, which was a ton back then. Most comparable rigs just had 2 or 4, some even 8. And then, you'll have that CPU coupled with 2GB. But I guess it was a design choice to take a simple and sturdy CPU that doesn't produce lots of heat and would be fast enough anyway for that single purpose. 2GB of RAM around 2001ish wasn't that unbelievable - I had that 2 years later in my consumer rig. And they still sell cheap and ugly Office rigs with that amount even today... barely enough to run the OS alone rdlaugh.png

Space Shuttles used 8086 CPUs until they've been retired...

BTW I had the chance to play my games on a 486 laptop my dad had from the company he worked for in 1996 or 1997 which had a 640x480 TFT screen... but I kept my CRT until 2012 dealwithit.png

But lets not get too OT here now twi-notbad.png

dcsdashie-hb-ed.jpg

Update from NineLine from a couple of hours ago:

is93N7X.png

Great, delay again and again...we will wait as always. We should have it till end of last month, now it seems that we won't have it this month too...

Maybe we will have it by the end of the year?

Edited by DeathAngel1

..:NAVY PILOTS ARE THE THE BEST PILOTS:..

I'm having so much fun with the JSOW that I really don't care about the targeting pod right now.

It will be ready when it's ready.

ED didn't promise anything. They gave an estimate. Things change and I'm okay with that. Why get stressed over something that you do to relax.