KA-50 RADAR Warning Receiver

Murey2

Good work; I'll drop the rotor hub since I've got nothing to back it up - I heard things from a radar operator, but he's no longer available to ask about this.

Instead, there is a study that estimates composite rotor mean RCS at just over 2m^2 for the EC Tiger. That's approximately 1/4 to 1/5 of the RCS of a small fighter that would be detected at anywhere between 60-90nm by an APG-63. This cuts detection range by about 30%, and of course you can apply look-down to further reduce it etc. But the fact remains that it'll be picked up at comfortable BVR ranges, and that composites alone won't cut it for evading detection.

Even the raptor, being VLO, has a limit - an APG-63 could pick'em up at around 6nm (IIRC - don't quote me too much on it). It would be very hard for a heli to do better, and it shouldn't be a very hard target for a modern weapon.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

First the IGLAS... now the whiners want another fantasy feature..... to better compete in airquake servers.

Why not just go full force and add railguns and full on stealth RCS reduction while your at it. :doh:

This is actually what they will give us.

FBUrAbe.gif

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

Good work; I'll drop the rotor hub since I've got nothing to back it up - I heard things from a radar operator, but he's no longer available to ask about this.

Instead, there is a study that estimates composite rotor mean RCS at just over 2m^2 for the EC Tiger. That's approximately 1/4 to 1/5 of the RCS of a small fighter that would be detected at anywhere between 60-90nm by an APG-63. This cuts detection range by about 30%, and of course you can apply look-down to further reduce it etc. But the fact remains that it'll be picked up at comfortable BVR ranges, and that composites alone won't cut it for evading detection.

Even the raptor, being VLO, has a limit - an APG-63 could pick'em up at around 6nm (IIRC - don't quote me too much on it). It would be very hard for a heli to do better, and it shouldn't be a very hard target for a modern weapon.

good points, heli's are not so simple are they.

First the IGLAS... now the whiners want another fantasy feature..... to better compete in airquake servers.

Why not just go full force and add railguns and full on stealth RCS reduction while your at it. :doh:

I think you're in the wrong forums. "The Expanse" season 4 fandom forums aren't here, and discussing MCRN ships is off topic :smartass:

0.2 * r * RPM ( = 0.1 * D * RPM)

That's nice - I like it.

Let me guess - starting from angular velocity - you're an engineer :) ?

I wondered how approximate the approximation was, so did it the math-phobe, social science major's way :-/

Pi * D * RPM * 60 * .001 to get the speed at that diameter in km/h, which simplifies to

D * RPM * 0.1885 = speed in km/h

or

D * RPM * 0.1018 for knots

which makes your angular approximation pretty close ! (.1 is pretty close to .1018 )

Thanks, you can get even better if you can spare the mental gymnastics for a last adjustment, tke the final result and subtract 10% or a tenth... to more accurately adjust from the [m] per [sec] to [kts] term.

• 3 weeks later...

Uh... actually the KA-50 is ALREADY getting an RWR in the rework. The KA-50 they fielded IRL (although still not a production model) HAD an RWR. It also had the IGLAS (which we are also getting). It also had an IR warning system (which we are also getting). And of course the laser warning system already in the helicopter in DCS.

Uh... actually the KA-50 is ALREADY getting an RWR in the rework. The KA-50 they fielded IRL (although still not a production model) HAD an RWR. It also had the IGLAS (which we are also getting). It also had an IR warning system (which we are also getting). And of course the laser warning system already in the helicopter in DCS.

Seems maybe you haven't read all the thread...

Cheers.

• 3 months later...

I'm lost in all this speculation and opinion.

The new Ka-50 needs something significant to differentiate it from the existing one.

If there are no significant change of systems it's going to be a hard sell.

ED are rubbish at sharing information, if they were smart they would have an FAQ page dedicated to modules in development that definitively answer questions from a reliable source.

I've seen so many posts saying a Ka-50 doesn't even need an RWR.

I simply don't understand this.

It can benefit from both a radar warning and laser warning.

Just about everything uses either laser or radar for either or a combination of...

1) search

2) tracking

3) guidance

Even if the weapon itself is free flying (23mm Shilka, 30mm Tunguska rounds) or IR/Radar guided (Strela/Tunguska) Why would you not want to know if there was a radar searching or tracking?

I don't know much about the President-S but if what we get lacks any of the above mentioned useful systems then what good is it?

Can anyone tell my why i wouldn't want any warning that a Strela or Shilka has it's head up and is looking for targets?

R7 3800X - 32Gig RAM -- All SSD -- GTX1070 -- TM Warthog, MFG Crosswinds & TiR

Google Translate

… I don't know much about the President-S but if what we get lacks any of the above mentioned useful systems then what good is it?..

Prezident-S_MAKS-2009_05.JPG

It should also be borne in mind that the base complete set of this modular system has some differences in its composition for the Russian Armed Forces (L-370 Vitebsk) and for its export modification (L-418 President-S), and also differs for various aircraft.

Original in Russian

Тут ещё следует учитывать то, что базовая комплектация данной модульной системы имеет некоторые различия по своему составу для российских вооружённых сил (Л-370 «Витебск») и для её экспортной модификации (L-418 President-S), а также отличается для различных летательных аппаратов.

Edited by S.E.Bulba
correction.

Sorry, I don't speak English, so I use Google Translate.

Yep, and whether we buy it or not is totally up to us.

The new Ka-50 needs something significant to differentiate it from the existing one.

Igla-S

3 Pylons

L-370 Vitebsk

FLIR and Night Attack Capability.

Edited by 3WA

picture info

Good info and much appreciated.

Me: when the update comes out people will know. And they have no influence which features are in it.

If you have no interest in whats upcoming then fine, don't participate in the thread.

Meanwhile let others discuss if they'd like.

R7 3800X - 32Gig RAM -- All SSD -- GTX1070 -- TM Warthog, MFG Crosswinds & TiR

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Don't think so you can expect FLIR on Ka-50 III. And for topic title - no RWR on Ka-50 at any versions.

Су-27 Flanker | Су-30 Flanker-C | Су-33 Flanker-D | Су-34 Fullback | Су-24 Fencer | МиГ-29 Fulcrum | F-14A/B/D Tomcat | F/A-18C/D Hornet | F/A-18E/F Super Hornet | F-16C Fighting Falcon | F-15C Eagle | Eurofighter Typhoon | Tornado IDS | JAS-39 Gripen | AJ/JA(S)-37 Viggen | Rafale | M-2000 Mirage | Mirage F1

Ka-52 Hokum | Mi-28N Havoc | Mi-35M Hind | Mi-24P Hind | AH-64D Apache | AH-1W SuperCobra

Don't think so you can expect FLIR on Ka-50 III. And for topic title - no RWR on Ka-50 at any versions.

Oh come on.

Everybody knows - it's so obvious - that if only they'd fitted FLIR and an RWR to the Ka-50, it would have had one !

What's with the obsession with the fact that it didn't have those things, when if only things had been different it could have ?

... & if it could have, it might have.

...& if it might have - well that's almost the same as saying it did have.

...& the fact that we don't have any images of FLIR & RWR on Ka-50 is almost certain proof that they were in fact fitted, because no one has an image definitively showing every one of them never had either of these things fitted at any point in time !!!

Case proven - please fit them (& please also put an igla in the cockpit for the pilot to fire out the window - it's perfectly possible - prove it's not).

Cheers.

Oh come on.

Everybody knows - it's so obvious - that if only they'd fitted FLIR and an RWR to the Ka-50, it would have had one !

What's with the obsession with the fact that it didn't have those things, when if only things had been different it could have ?

... & if it could have, it might have.

...& if it might have - well that's almost the same as saying it did have.

...& the fact that we don't have any images of FLIR & RWR on Ka-50 is almost certain proof that they were in fact fitted, because no one has an image definitively showing every one of them never had either of these things fitted at any point in time !!!

Case proven - please fit them (& please also put an igla in the cockpit for the pilot to fire out the window - it's perfectly possible - prove it's not).

In same case they can add lasergun to Ka-50 :D

I will tell you more, Ka-50 version which you currently see in DCS - is only one version, which was used in combat. FLIR was tested on 2-3 test units without any continue and this FLIR devices didn't used later at another aircrafts, we don't have any examples of image / where did it output indication / what quality of picture we can expect -> we don't know anything...

Ka-50 III will get systems, which was tested on Ka-50 and later was released on Ka-52 in almost non changed variants - MWS / IR Suppress / Igla-V, night Ka-50 stuff didn't migrate to Ka-52 and stayed at prototype stage with unknown status.

And yea - RWR didn't represented at any Ka-50 unit, you can check it even via external photos.

Су-27 Flanker | Су-30 Flanker-C | Су-33 Flanker-D | Су-34 Fullback | Су-24 Fencer | МиГ-29 Fulcrum | F-14A/B/D Tomcat | F/A-18C/D Hornet | F/A-18E/F Super Hornet | F-16C Fighting Falcon | F-15C Eagle | Eurofighter Typhoon | Tornado IDS | JAS-39 Gripen | AJ/JA(S)-37 Viggen | Rafale | M-2000 Mirage | Mirage F1

Ka-52 Hokum | Mi-28N Havoc | Mi-35M Hind | Mi-24P Hind | AH-64D Apache | AH-1W SuperCobra

YES it did! You guys need to just invest some quality time in reading... LOL

So? Can you proof it? Can you show RWR sensors on the fuselage on any photo (not from static exposition at airshows please) or RWR display in the cockpit maybe?

About President-S -> President-S not equal Vitebsk in RuAF, we will get Vitebsk with IR suppression and MWS only. S.E.Bulba provided Vitebsk details already.

I will say more, we don’t have relevant data which allow us to say that even RuAF Ka-52 has RWR, only Egyptian Ka-52K units has RWR sensors on fuselage.

If you want quality reading about the Werewolf (in English) you could try "The Courier" by Simon Bradley - it's on Amazon.

All about the Ka-50. It's completely fictional of course, but it definitely has RWR. And Mercury LLTV...

But it's not a bad book, apparently.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Wildcards BlackJack_sml.jpg