[REPORTED]wake turbulence + carrier aircraft yoyo issue?

Ironwulf

Bit of background, this is from a Through The Inferno server... big night lots of players.

about half way through the whole flightline got wiped out... literally tossed around like there was a hurricane... terrain bug?

What got me was there was 3 very loud sonic booms just before it started... I wondered if someone had done a multi-ship flypast at very low level, and there was a wake turbulence resonance or something. I thought it'd be cool if it was modelled at that level (reflection of waves) but thought it should not be that crazy.

So I looked at the tacview… I think it speaks for itself.

Any aircraft landed that was from a carrier... has the well known carrier bug where it yo yos.

Note the standing wave set up on the flightline… and also note up in the sky where they had been flying around. Its almost like their wake didn't end.... just kept rolling.

Video 1

Clients recalled seeing their airspeed on the F10 map going up to 999kts

A bit more detail here

The track file for this is massive, and thus probably wont work but I am guessing it might be reproducable pretty easy if you can get the carrier bug happening on an aircraft landing at a field and its vertical movement is huge (long way away, windy day at sea)

An analogy I thought of when speaking to a friend about this is its like a rope... if you flick one end up and down hard enough you can make a wave travel further and further.... if this guy is constantly going up and down at thousands of knots its going to go a long way.

I don't know how the wake is calculated, but that might explain it.

• 1 month later...

Same issue noticed several time on Kobuleti/Tbilisi for example while at parking or when landing.

Only happened in multiplayer though.

So currently, we'are just disabling Wake turbulence in the mission and in local setting when flying in multiplayer.

Same issue noticed several time on Kobuleti/Tbilisi for example while at parking or when landing.

Only happened in multiplayer though.

So currently, we'are just disabling Wake turbulence in the mission and in local setting when flying in multiplayer.

Or just take the carriers out of the mission, as its really only aircraft from them that seem to cause the real problems.

• ED Team

Hi all

this is reported, I dont have a timeline for a fix currently.

thanks

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2