[ALREADY REPORTED]TACAN issues

Ironwulf

Hi

Firstly a disclaimer, I am not an aero navigation wizard - in particular when it comes to the relationship between TACAN channels and VOR? Some gurus might need to help out here.

I noted some weird behaviour when I was flying with the Bandar Abbas TACAN setting of 78X, when I noted that it would move about, and occasionally change to JSK.

I looked on the ME map at Bandar-e-Jask and its TACAN is the same, yet they are less than 200nm apart, which I believe is the minimum distance tacan is supposed to work for airfields.

I did some checking on an air nav website and Bandar's frequency listed is correct for 78X (113.10 according to https://www.ntia.doc.gov/legacy/osmhome/redbook/4d.pdf page 4-175) although the VOR frequency seems to be different in the ME.

http://ourairports.com/navaids/BND/Bandar_Abbass_TACAN_IR/#lat=27.216999053955078,lon=56.381099700927734,zoom=10,type=Satellite

However Jask's as per the mission editor map is 116.30 - but has a TACAN symbol and 78X- it also says KHM … which is Qeshm however, so its even more confusing.

When you start the mission, if you click on the Jask airfield, it says it has no TACAN but VOR is 116.30

In flight, leaving from Khasab it is most obvious there is a problem, the HSI changes direction from Bandar Abbas to Jask faster and faster the closer you get to Bandar Abbas, although the DME seems to show only the distance to Bandar Abbas. This is easily repeatable.

This site seems to confirm JASK has TACAN and its VOR is on 116.30

http://ourairports.com/navaids/JSK/Jask_TACAN_IR/#lat=25.64620018005371,lon=57.78390121459961,zoom=10,type=Satellite

However 116.30 relates to channel 110X... so should Jask be on 110X?

This site seems to confirm so

http://worldaerodata.com/wad.cgi?nav=JASK&nav_id=JSK&nav_type=3

Now the next strange thing is I have also noticed TACAN moving around for Al Minhad - it would seem to change ends of the runway. I am guessing it is something similar and I will have to find whatever happens to be in that direction and see there is a similar issue there as well.

tacan issue.trk

Edited by Ironwulf

Hi

I don't seem to have the problem any more. This is mostly because Bandar Abbas no longer has a TACAN - nor does JASK - although the real world data I have suggests that they do (78X and 110X respectively - per the links I have given, above) - have these been removed iRL?

I guess historically too, if they were once there, if you wanted to have period-accuracy, they might need to be.

I reverted back to standard my beacons file for now, but I did however take a leaf out of your book to fix things in the interim, and amended the Jask entry to be 110X, and I added Liwa - thanks for that. That has - so far - fixed this issue.

• 1 month later...

The double stations causing a lot of confusion in Hornet

TACAN 78X stations

one: Bandar Abbas

two: Bandar-e-Jask

TACAN 99X stations

one: Al Minhad AB

two: west side in Katar, in MGRS WH37

tested ver.: 2.5.5.33552

in the mission at first try the airstarts, tacan in name,

2nd and 3rd waypoints set to tacan stations.

You can choose to fly to actual ghost tacan needle (moving a lot during flight) in the heading tape, or towards waypoints.

3 char station name is not forced always to the closest.

distance measurement caotic too.

Easiest solution: no more double stations.

Harder solution: Hornet learn to use the more powerful station correctly. (I have a screenshot OVER Bandar Abbas stating I'm closing to Jask.

Over Bandar Abbas TACAN station icon in HSI is not stationary...)

pg_tacan_issues.miz

GTX 1070 8GB, 16GB DDR3, W8.1 on SSD, DCS on another SSD

You can adjust the tacan station settings in the beacons.lua file for the map. Jask’s frequency is correct but the channel should be 110X - easily fixed

I’ll check out the Qatari one, I was wondering where the 2nd station was! I must admit it was less of an issue as I don’t get over that side of the map.

• 2 months later...

So I checked out and Qatar's TACAN checks out as OK. They (Al Minhad and Al Udied) both run 99X... I guess there is enough distance in there to not cause issues IRL - I would assume TACAN locks on to the strongest source... perhaps DCS doesn't model transmission power and that's where it runs into issues?