Exiting AACQ

Jak525

While usually not needed as it's only on for a split moment if there's a contact on scope, it seems odd there is no way to cancel AACQ (which could be useful when there's 0 targets detected and you're in AACQ and want to cancel). Is this something ED missed or is there really no direct way? Going to ACM will work but it seems like you should be able to press the undesignate button or something.

I think its the same as unlocking a contact - use the undesignate button. For me, that is the pinky button on my stick just above the paddle.

:pilotfly: Specs: I9-9900k; ROG Strix RTX 2080ti; Valve Index HMD; 32GB DDR4 3200 Ram; Samsung 970 EVO 1TB SSD; TM Warthog with pedals, 3 TM MFDs

@Jak525 You're right! hmmm I thought I was able to exit AACQ before with undesignate. Sometimes I push to boresite then undesignate. I think it worked at one time.

Thanks for the clarification.

:pilotfly: Specs: I9-9900k; ROG Strix RTX 2080ti; Valve Index HMD; 32GB DDR4 3200 Ram; Samsung 970 EVO 1TB SSD; TM Warthog with pedals, 3 TM MFDs

While usually not needed as it's only on for a split moment if there's a contact on scope, it seems odd there is no way to cancel AACQ (which could be useful when there's 0 targets detected and you're in AACQ and want to cancel). Is this something ED missed or is there really no direct way? Going to ACM will work but it seems like you should be able to press the undesignate button or something.

I think it's the undesignate/NWS. If the radar gets stuck in a mode and I can't make that work then I usually select a missle that I know is close to the radar params I need and that usually does it.

Windows 10 Pro x64 NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti, 8700K @ 5.0GHz (Cooled by H150i Pro), 32GB DDR4 @3200, Asus Maximus X, TM Warthog with F-18 stick, TPR Rudder, Oculus Rift S

Same here, always mucking about exiting (change weapons, but does not actually make sense does it) to be able to focus back to center SA

I realize it might be a bug indeed, or else stupid programming (by MD).

| VR goggles | Autopilot panel | Headtracker | TM HOTAS | G920 HOTAS | MS FFB 2 | Throttle Quadrants | 8600K | GTX 1080 | 64GB RAM| Win 10 x64 | Voicerecognition | 50" UHD TV monitor | 40" 1080p TV monitor | 2x 24" 1080p side monitors | 24" 1080p touchscreen |

AACQ is definitely not complete. Among other things, pressing SCS Right (when the radar is on the RDDI), while having a target in STT, should unlock the target and exclude it from AACQ selection for 10 seconds (I don't recall if this also applies to TDC Depress selection). That is used in case the AACQ selected a target different than the one the pilot wanted or to select the desired target in case targets are flying in close formation.

The vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VFA-34.png

F/A-18C, F-15E, AV-8B, F-16C, JF-17, A-10C/CII, M-2000C, F-14, AH-64D, BS2, UH-1H, P-51D, Sptifire, FC3
-
i9-13900K, 64GB @6400MHz RAM, 4090 Strix OC, Samsung 990 Pro

I have been having some issues getting out of it recently also. Last night I even switched to A2G in a dogfight to try to break it after it locked up a distant target (how does that happen in AACQ anyways, it should be looking for close targets). Sometimes I just have to turn the plane around so it breaks lock then I can cancel the mode.

I have been having some issues getting out of it recently also. Last night I even switched to A2G in a dogfight to try to break it after it locked up a distant target (how does that happen in AACQ anyways, it should be looking for close targets). Sometimes I just have to turn the plane around so it breaks lock then I can cancel the mode.

im presuming your not even locking someone STT and just in L&S mode, all you need to press is reset on the mfd to unlock L&S.

switching to A/G shouldn't break a lock. if your in A/G and lock a target you don't want the lock to break just b/c your switching to A/A.

yes if you looking for someone close and press AACQ it will lock some random target 40-80miles out even though your searching 5 and see the contract. That has been in the hornet radar since day 1 and gets people all confused still of why, how.

when im within 20nm of contacts you just need to breathe, press the correct keys and slow and steady will win the fight.

Intel i9-9900K 32GB DDR4, RTX 2080tiftw3, Windows 10, 1tb 970 M2, TM Warthog, 4k 144hz HDR g-sync.

AACQ is definitely not complete. Among other things, pressing SCS Right (when the radar is on the RDDI), while having a target in STT, should unlock the target and exclude it from AACQ selection for 10 seconds (I don't recall if this also applies to TDC Depress selection). That is used in case the AACQ selected a target different than the one the pilot wanted or to select the desired target in case targets are flying in close formation.

That actually sounds extremely useful.

Work around most of you have probably discovered: You can exit AACQ by thumbing down on the DMS switch. Unfortunately, that selects the AMPCD as the SOI with the diamond, so you then have to thumb right again to get the diamond back to the corner your right DDI. But, this does exit AACQ.

i7 8700K @ Stock - Win10 64 - 32 RAM - RTX 3080 12gb OC - 55 inch 4k Display

AACQ is still very much WIP. With the more recent inclusion of trackfile ranking, we can now revisit it.

Thanks

Is there any chance you guys could also take a look at creating and stepping the L&S through the tracks with undesignate switch? Even if it seems like a small detail, it would be a huge QoL improvement to not have to slew the TDC all over the radar page

Auto Acqusition Mode

Hi gents,

The short answer to the original question is that you use the undesignate switch on the stick to command an exit from AACQ, with a catch: if you have a L&S target in STT from AACQ, then the undesignate switch will command the MC to undesignate the L&S target for 10 seconds in order to allow the MC to sweep for the next highest threat target, excluding the original L&S target you just undesignated. If after 10 seconds the radar does not detect another, then AACQ will redesignate the original L&S target back into STT. If you wish to undesignate and exit AACQ, then activate the undesignate switch twice back the SCS into its higher level functions from which you can then go back into BVR mode, or drop the SCS down into the lower function ACM modes to select WACQ, VACQ or use the weapon select switch to select guns in GACQ mode.

The other thing about radar functions you need to understand, is that acquisition is not the same as designation (commonly referred to as "lock"). When a raw data brick is displayed on the Attk Format DDI, the pilot must acquire the target by one of any number of methods to create a track-file within the MC. You can do this manually by positioning the TDC cursor over the raw brick and then depress the TDC once. The radar return is then acquired as a track file and your radar will continue to track that return unless it is lost due to vectoring beyond the radar sweep gimble limits or you exceed your aging settings etc. In order to lock the target, you would need to position the TDC cursor over the HAFU if one has been generated, or the return brick and then depress the TDC a second time. That will designate the track-file as your L&S target and place the MC/radar into STT mode. Where AACQ differs is in it's automated process of acquiring and designating the target as your L&S target straight into STT mode. There is not need to manually execute these two functions.

I like to use it when I'm up against multiple targets. While in BVR mode I manually acquire all targets on my Attk Radar so that the MC then creates multiple track-files. Then as I close to within launch range I'll position the TDC cursor over the radar return that I wish to engage first, and then push the SCS toward the Attk Radar DDI to activate AACQ which will then automatically designate that target as my L&S target in STT. Then as the fight progresses, you can use the undesignate switch to "unlock" your L&S target if you get a successful hit, so that the MC can quickly switch onto the next highest threat target, designate that as your L&S target in STT. So long as you have not exceeded your radar gimble limits, all of these track-files will remain within your MC and can be quickly acquired using AACA.

Once you get into a heat-seeker turning fight under 10 nm, you may want to switch into ACXM mode. But before you do, the AACQ works equally well when slaved to your AIM-9, just remember to un-cage the seeker head and the radar will tell it where to look.

The only function I've not been able to use is the bump acquisition feature. Seems this has not been implemented in the Hornet functions.

Here's a cut and paste of some of the learning material I've posted over on the 401 Sqn forum.

6.1 Automatic Acquisition (AACQ)

The Automatic Acquisition (AACQ) mode is available in all search modes and provides a head-up means to acquire targets (enter Single Target Track (STT)), at ranges beyond the Air Combat Maneuvering (ACM) Modes. Strictly speaking, AACQ is not a dedicated radar mode; It does not change scan volumes, range scales, PRF or aging from the previously selected mode. AACQ can also be used from within the STT mode in order to simultaneously reject, or "bump" the currently tracked target and acquire a new one. In addition, AACQ may be used in place of manual TDC acquisition (e.g. manually Designating with the acquisition cursor over a track) in what's called Fast Acquisition.

AACQ is commanded by moving the Sensor Control switch toward the Attack format when the TDC priority is already assigned to the format and the Radar is operating in either the RWS, VS, TWS, or STT modes. When the AACQ mode is active, the label AACQ will appear in the upper-left corner of the Attack format just outside the tactical region border. The behavior of AACQ is different depending on which radar mode is active and/or whether the TDC cursor is currently over a hit.

Switching to AACQ was confusing at first since it does not have any specific switch position. Remember to move the SCS left if the left DDI is set to Attack Radar, or move the SCS right when the Right DDI is set to Attack Radar. By moving the SCS toward the DDI with Attack Radar already set, you activate AACQ.

If the Radar is not in STT, the Radar retains existing search parameters and attempts acquisition based on the following priority:

MSI trackfile under cursor - Fast Acq.

Launch & Steering target if it exists.

ACQ Point cue if it is displayed.

The closest track in RWS or TWS, or the fastest track in VS.

If there is no target under the cursor, the Radar performs AACQ and attempts to acquire the highest priority MSI trackfile. If an L&S designation exists, then it is acquired first. If an L&S designation does not exist, then the Radar will attempt to acquire the highest priority MSI trackfile. If this highest priority trackfile is being intentionally suppressed (e.g. HAFU is not displayed) then the ACQ point cue is displayed and the Radar will acquire the corresponding target. If no targets are available which meet the previous criteria, the Radar will remain in AACQ until a target appears, at which point it will immediately acquire it. In many cases, when no L&S exists, the ACQ Point cue will indicate the first eligible/highest priority trackfile, and selection of AACQ will result in the Radar acquiring the target at that location.

For all search modes (RWS, TWS, VS), the Radar remains in AACQ until a target lock is achieved, an ACM mode is selected, the Gun is selected (Radar enters GACQ), the AACQ mode is rejected, or A/A master mode is exited. The ACQ mode may be manually exited via the Undesignate switch SHFT+DEL, which commands the Radar to return to the last selected search mode (RWS, VS, TWS). AACQ cannot be selected if the Radar is in GACQ or in any ACM mode.

Edited by No.401_Speed

Hi gents

Quite a writeup.

Thanks a lot! Wish I could rep you.

I second that, thank you very much for the explanation No.401_Speed, it's really useful.

Все написанное выше является моим оценочным суждением

Everything written above reflects my personal opinion

Занимаюсь "активной пропагандой Американцев на данном форуме" © Flanker

Nice writeup, although 1 small thing - from what I understand the MC processes radar hits as tracks whether or not you designate them with TDC or hover the TDC over them. It's done in the background either way, so doing that to "create a track" is not necessary.

RWS Track Files

You are correct. Thanks for that. I've spent more time studying the radar, targeting and missile systems of the Hornet than time flying, but there is always more to learn.

I double checked some of the material read before and sure enough, there it was.

Range While Search (RWS) - The RWS mode provides detection of targets including high-closure rate, head-on attacks and low-closure rate, tail attacks. RWS allows for unrestricted scan volume size and scan centering control. The target data is presented in a range versus azimuth format and is typically presented in a synthetic blip scan ("brick") format but trackfiles are also generated and can also be displayed in RWS as Hostile Ambiguous Friendly Unknown (HAFU) symbols.

Cheers

Speed