Interestingly... we've had the VR Optimization since May

Nagilem

Hey folks,

As an outsider getting very interested in VR and a return to flight sims there seems to be a lot of dissatisfaction with the current state of VR and DCS or am I not reading it right? Also, why is there not clear information coming from DCS about VR updates etc? So much reading between the lines and conjecture. Seems ridiculous considering how much people are looking forward to improvements.

I don't work for ED, but the reason for the Beta branch is to test things out.

And clearly, as Wags mentioned, some are seeing the benefit and others are not. And they need to debug it to make sure everyone can enjoy the experience. There is no benefit to guessing about root cause as that leads to more conjectures and complaints. So I think it's more about passionate fans who want things "NOW!" :D

The state of VR is getting better every day. Rift S came out, Reverb came about. Pimax 5K+ is out. Index is going to come out. I don't know that you can go wrong with any of them. It's a good time to get into VR.

As for me, I've had a ball for the last two-three years playing in VR. And it's only getting better.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

As for me, I've had a ball for the last two-three years playing in VR. And it's only getting better.

Amen brother! :thumbup:

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

My VR experience with the last two updates was rather strange. On the initial 2.5.5 patch my VR performance was phenomenal. 45fps on the deck, terrain shadows didn't impact performance at all, no double-vision of moving objects.

Now on the second patch of 2.5.5 and my VR performance has reverted to about 35fps on the deck, terrain shadows murdering my frames in a dark alley, and anything that moves gets rendered twice.

My VR experience with the last two updates was rather strange. On the initial 2.5.5 patch my VR performance was phenomenal. 45fps on the deck, terrain shadows didn't impact performance at all, no double-vision of moving objects.

Now on the second patch of 2.5.5 and my VR performance has reverted to about 35fps on the deck, terrain shadows murdering my frames in a dark alley, and anything that moves gets rendered twice.

Same. Not sure if they “took it back out” or what, but I definitely saw a bump two patches again and now nothing on the most recent one.

In any case if what I saw two patches ago was the full optimization...not that great. Definitely not a “50% boost”, for me at least. Impossible to really project that though without knowing all the facts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VR Cockpit (link):

Custom Throttletek F/A-18C Throttle w/ Hall Sensors + Otto switches | Slaw Device RX Viper Pedals w/ Damper | VPC T-50 Base + 15cm Black Sahaj Extension + TM Hornet or Warthog Grip | Super Warthog Wheel Stand Pro | Steelcase Leap V2 + JetSeat SE

VR Rig:

Pimax 5K+ | ASUS ROG Strix 1080Ti | Intel i7-9700K | Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master | Corsair H115i RGB Platinum | 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3200 | Dell U3415W Curved 3440x1440

Wicked, you should post to the link below if you haven't already.

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=243521

I don't have the stable version installed and really don't want to lol. I can post what I'm getting and with what settings for OB with the 18 but he asked specifically for FPS from both DCS versions using the Mustang. I don't mind helping the beta testing but that's a bit much. lol

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Intel i9 9900K @ 5.1Ghz HT Disabled, Asus RoG Strix z390E Gaming, 64GB G.Skill Trident Z 3200, Asus RoG Strix RTX2080Ti OC @ 1.9Ghz, 1TB Samsung Evo 970Pro M.2 TM Warthog, CH Pro Pedals, Saitek Pro Rudder Pedals, Samsung 49" Curved Gaming Monitor, Samsung 50" 4KUHD TV, Acer 27" Touch Panel, CV1, Pimax 5K+, Valve Index, FSSB3 Lighting, F-16SGRH, 3 TM Cougar's and a Saitek X36 that I can't bring myself to part with.

I don't work for ED, but the reason for the Beta branch is to test things out.

And clearly, as Wags mentioned, some are seeing the benefit and others are not. And they need to debug it to make sure everyone can enjoy the experience. There is no benefit to guessing about root cause as that leads to more conjectures and complaints. So I think it's more about passionate fans who want things "NOW!" :D

The state of VR is getting better every day. Rift S came out, Reverb came about. Pimax 5K+ is out. Index is going to come out. I don't know that you can go wrong with any of them. It's a good time to get into VR.

Thanks......Beta branch testing, I see. I definitely want to fly VR. It will take me a while to get there, I’ll continue to watch for updates.

My experience is the same

AMD RYZEN 7 2700 / 32GB / RTX2070 / 500GB M.2 with Windows and DCS / 2 - 500GB SSD / Rift S/ TM Warthog with F18 stick and Virpil WarBRD / Foxx Mounts/ MFG Crosswind rudders + 3 MFD's | Now enjoying VR with PointCTRL controllers + Gamematrix JetSeat

Thanks......Beta branch testing, I see. I definitely want to fly VR. It will take me a while to get there, I’ll continue to watch for updates.

What kind of HW do you have?

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

What kind of HW do you have?

Absolutely nothing. I plan on building a pc specifically to play DCS. I gave up on flight sims years ago but have always had the bug. I stumbled across DCS YouTube videos and couldn’t believe how things have changed. I then discovered VR gamers playing DCS describing the immersion experience and started looking into it a bit more. I found out about the valve index release, oculus S etc and it looks like the technology is somewhat at a tipping point so I’m learning as much as I can.

Absolutely nothing. I plan on building a pc specifically to play DCS. I gave up on flight sims years ago but have always had the bug. I stumbled across DCS YouTube videos and couldn’t believe how things have changed. I then discovered VR gamers playing DCS describing the immersion experience and started looking into it a bit more. I found out about the valve index release, oculus S etc and it looks like the technology is somewhat at a tipping point so I’m learning as much as I can.

Ah, gotcha. I tried the Reverb tonight I think i found my gen 2 HMD. Holy cow. Honestly, it's hard to convey the sense of immersion and the spatial awareness that you get with flight sim. It's breathtaking. I've waited 35 years for this. :D

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

Ah, gotcha. I tried the Reverb tonight I think i found my gen 2 HMD. Holy cow. Honestly, it's hard to convey the sense of immersion and the spatial awareness that you get with flight sim. It's breathtaking. I've waited 35 years for this. :D

Sounds unreal,

It’s going to take a while to put the cash together so I’ll bide my time and live vicariously through YouTube and the forum. I hear you though, I remember buying sims back in the 90’s with an awesome picture on the front and amazing screenshots on the back only to be horribly disappointed. It’s seems that our time has come and maybe then some. Now I need to find out how much it’s going to cost me :)

Well, who'd have known that the optimisation is in after all!

I've just done Wags' test and posted my result. I get exactly a 50% increase. Went from 30fps (RED in fpsVR) to 45fps (orange). I got similar results in anything I tested with motionprojection off for the test.

(With motionprojection on, the best way to see is by looking at the frametimes. Gives a lot more headroom with same 45fps.)

I know it doesn't appear to work for everyone, but all I can say is well done ED!

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

Hi Hansangb,

Glad to hear it was a positive experience for you! Would you mind writing a post about your experience etc? I’m waiting for reviews on the Index, and will try to get a fair bit of feedback and impressions before I make a decision on which HMD to go for, for possibly to look for good deals in the pre-Christmas sales. By then, there should’ve been a lot of teething issues and enhancements taken place. The waiting time though!! :(

EDIT: Nevermind, I just saw your post in the Reverb thread. :) Thanks!!

SYSTEM: Mainboard MSI B360M Bazooka | CPU i7 8700k @ 3.2 GHz | RAM 2x8GB GDDR4 @ 2400 MHz | GPU Gainward GeForce RTX 2070 Dual Fan | 256GB SSD | Win 10 x64

DEVICES: MSI Optix 24" LED Curved | Thrustmaster Warthog | MFG Crosswind | TableMount MonsterTech

MODULES: A-10C | F-14 | F/A-18C | Spitfire | P-51D

I think it was a medical trial...bear with me.... If they released the improvements and told everyone, we'd all be expecting better framerates and would project that impression (generally) in our results. If they release improvements and don't tell anyone, the reaction should be more objective. IT's kind of like a placebo effect....

I'm more concerned ned about the performance effects on non VR, I had some serious issues after 2.5.5 with framerates decreasing to single digits in some surcumstances

Edited by Yeti42

Windows 10 64 bit | Intel i5-9600k OC 5 Ghz | RTX 2080 |VENGEANCE® LPX 32GB DDR 4 OC 3200

Hotas Warthog | Logitech G Flight Rudder Pedals | Track IR 4

I think it was a medical trial...

Certainly a double-blind trial, in that neither ED or the player base knows if they have the placebo or the performance-enhancer.

System spec: Intel i9 13900KF @ stock,  Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4090 Gaming OC 24GB GDDR6X, Gigabyte Z690 UD DDR4, Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO SL 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4 3600MHz C18, Samsung 980 EVO 500 GB NVME M.2 SSD (system drive), Samsung 970 EVO 1 TB NVME M.2 SSD (games drive), Cooler Master ML360 Illusion CPU Cooler, Asus XG43UQ Monitor, Oculus Quest Pro, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals

Certainly a double-blind trial, in that neither ED or the player base knows if they have the placebo or the performance-enhancer.

Not really. I definately noticed a significant performance improvement.

------------

3080Ti, i5- 13600k 32GB  VIVE index, VKB peddals, HOTAS VPC MONGOOSE, WARTHOG throttle, BKicker,

@wolf - Sadly in FPS it doesn't look like it did as much as they wanted. If you troll the results thread, no one is getting huge gains in FPS.

Personally, I got some minor gain with my rig (avg of 10 more FPS). What was most notable for me was less smearing moving and turning, and less microstuttering. Not sure what that really means from a FPS counter perspective.

:pilotfly: Specs: I9-9900k; ROG Strix RTX 2080ti; Valve Index HMD; 32GB DDR4 3200 Ram; Samsung 970 EVO 1TB SSD; TM Warthog with pedals, 3 TM MFDs

Hi Hansangb,

Glad to hear it was a positive experience for you! Would you mind writing a post about your experience etc? I’m waiting for reviews on the Index, and will try to get a fair bit of feedback and impressions before I make a decision on which HMD to go for, for possibly to look for good deals in the pre-Christmas sales. By then, there should’ve been a lot of teething issues and enhancements taken place. The waiting time though!! :(

EDIT: Nevermind, I just saw your post in the Reverb thread. :) Thanks!!

But I will post a summary experience in the main thread. this way, it'll be easier for people to spot.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

@wolf - Sadly in FPS it doesn't look like it did as much as they wanted. If you troll the results thread, no one is getting huge gains in FPS.

Personally, I got some minor gain with my rig (avg of 10 more FPS). What was most notable for me was less smearing moving and turning, and less microstuttering. Not sure what that really means from a FPS counter perspective.

Yeah thats where all my gains are as well, I don't even use fps counters. For me all this update really did is put things back the way they once were, though it is maybe better cause when turning my head to the side it really is perfectly smooth, though that may also be something to do with steam VR improving in recent years as well.

On the whole though I'm happy cause I really wasn't playing DCS recently due to the bad performance.

For me its more like something got broke and fixed, rather than some revolutionary new update but that may be a little unfair.

It's probably running better for me now than it ever has done..

But I really don't understand why they said it wasn't in, and now they say it is in. Turned the whole thing into a bit of a ruined orgasm!

------------

3080Ti, i5- 13600k 32GB  VIVE index, VKB peddals, HOTAS VPC MONGOOSE, WARTHOG throttle, BKicker,

While most people see little to no improvment. There are some guys reporting double digit gains too. There is a guy with a very similar setup to mine going feom like 45 on stable to 70/80 on OB. I do have a slighly older nvidia driver but aside from that and a few minor settings changes i have no explanation.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

@Harlikwin - I definitely have hope that while the optimization is there, its broke and we can all still get some improvements from whatever fix they find.

FINGERS AND TOES CROSSED!

:pilotfly: Specs: I9-9900k; ROG Strix RTX 2080ti; Valve Index HMD; 32GB DDR4 3200 Ram; Samsung 970 EVO 1TB SSD; TM Warthog with pedals, 3 TM MFDs

Im just baffled by what the other guy is doing. Or maybe its a really specific hardware thing.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

Im just baffled by what the other guy is doing. Or maybe its a really specific hardware thing.

Or maybe he didn’t check that his OB and Release settings were the same like I didn’t initially!

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box