LANTIRN Control for Pilot

VampireNZ

This topic has probably been beaten to death, but I couldn't find any specific threads about it ...So I just wanted to ask Heatblur about the possibility of PLEASE including LANTIRN control for the pilot as a standard option in the future.

I believe you guys are working on Jester controlling the pod, but using the mod that is out there at the moment that lets me control the LANTIRN from the front seat is awesome! It's the dogs bollocks doing the LANTIRN bombing all from the front seat - I know you can jump in the back in SP and control the pod, which I tried till I realised there was no mapping for dropping the bombs from the back so you have to jump back in the front to actually drop the bomb, then back into the back..which is kinda stink. I have also had major issues with getting Iceman to control the aircraft properly while in the back seat - fails to even hold straight and level, dopesn't go where he is told etc etc.

I have even heard that HB are going to try and purposefully break the Pilot Controls LANTIRN mod that is out there at the moment! Something about unfair advantage for single pilot in MP or something? Uh? Might just be a rumor thou.

But bottom line, LANTIRN bombing in the Tomcat from the front is pretty awesome at the moment - not 'realistic' I know. Also I think the Jester controls LANTIRN will not give the same flexibility as doing it yourself...or the fun.

So please can we have the option? Ta.

n.b. (I guess the F-16 is coming soon...which will take care of my front seat radar and pod operations wishes ;))

Asus Maximus VIII Hero Alpha| i7-6700K @ 4.60GHz | nVidia GTX 1080ti Strix OC 11GB @ 2075MHz| 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200Mhz DDR4 CL14 |

Samsung 950 PRO 512GB M.2 SSD | Corsair Force LE 480GB SSD | Windows 10 64-Bit | TM Warthog with FSSB R3 Lighting Base | VKB Gunfighter Pro + MCG | TM MFD's | Oculus Rift S | Jetseat FSE

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, this mod is wonderful & very easy to use from the Pilots seat, works in MP too.

Maybe HT can make it an option for us that like this mod & it could be turned on/off for MP?

I also don't see a fully functioning Jester solution for LANTIRN.

i7 8700k@4.7, 1080ti, DDR4 32GB, 2x SSD , HD 2TB, W10, ASUS 27", TrackIr5, TMWH, X-56, GProR.

Definitely agreed - once you get your keybindings set, it's an absolute blast

2080Ti FTW3 Ultra - G.Skill RJ 32GB (16x2) DDR4 3200 - Ryzen 2700X 4.2Ghz OC - Corsair H100i Pro - Samsung 970 EVO M.2 2TB - TMW HOTAS w Delta Sim - F/A-18C grip - 10cm Sahaj - TrackIR 5 Pro - Rift CV1 - MFG CWind - BuddyFox UFC - DSD RK II - Cougar MFDs w/ LCDs - Foxx Mounts - VPC MongoosT-50CM base

- Maps: NTTR, Persian Gulf, Normandy

- Modules: FC3, F-14A/B, F/A-18C, AV-8B, A-10C, F-16C, F-86, KA-50, P-51D, WWII assets, and [insert campaign name]

Dreaming of the F-15E / F-14D / Rhino

I have even heard that HB are going to try and purposefully break the Pilot Controls LANTIRN mod that is out there at the moment! Something about unfair advantage for single pilot in MP or something? Uh? Might just be a rumor thou.

It's not a rumor, it's confirmed by Cobra himself: https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=3899819#post3899819

This "feature" of controlling stuff in the backseat from the front seat and vice versa is a bug that currently serves as a workaround for some of you to do stuff that Jester isn't capable of (using LANTIRN especially) and will be removed once Jester gets this ability of his own.

Crew coordination is a major aspect of the F-14 experience and bypassing this is through gamey keybinds is not intended behaviour, because as you said yourself, this is far from being even remotely realistic:

But bottom line, LANTIRN bombing in the Tomcat from the front is pretty awesome at the moment - not 'realistic' I know. Also I think the Jester controls LANTIRN will not give the same flexibility as doing it yourself...or the fun.

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

Hopefully things that should be done from backseat, are done from backseat

I don't want that F14 is turned to wannabie F-15E that you can fly alone if wanted from front

So wait that the AI gets its features, or fly with other human or swap seats with a press of a button in HOTAS.

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

Maybe HT can make it an option for us that like this mod & it could be turned on/off

Exactly! Just give the option to anyone who wants to use, if you don´t want just DO NOT use it, as with stick (visible or not), pilot body,"easy AAR" option, etc,etc.

Aorus Z390 Extreme MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.0 GHz | EVGA RTX 2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra | 32 GB G Skill Trident Z 3600 MHz CL14 DDR4 Ram | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler | Corsair TX 850M PS | Samsung 970 Evo Plus M.2 NVMe SSD 1TB |TMWH Hotas with VPC WarBRD Base| Corsair Gamer 570x Crystal Case | HP Reverb

Exactly! Just give the option to anyone who wants to use, if you don´t want just DO NOT use it, as with stick (visible or not), pilot body, etc.

And also give them the option to use AMRAAMs and JDAMs...

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

Tornado3 small.jpg

And also give them the option to use AMRAAMs and JDAMs...

Your ironic stance shows no respect for other people's opinion, I have already mentioned that there are already options in the Heatblur F-14B that make it easier for people who want to use them like: stick (visible or not), pilot body,easy AAR , etc If you don´t like, do NOT use it.

Aorus Z390 Extreme MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.0 GHz | EVGA RTX 2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra | 32 GB G Skill Trident Z 3600 MHz CL14 DDR4 Ram | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler | Corsair TX 850M PS | Samsung 970 Evo Plus M.2 NVMe SSD 1TB |TMWH Hotas with VPC WarBRD Base| Corsair Gamer 570x Crystal Case | HP Reverb

Your ironic stance shows no respect for other people's opinion, I have already mentioned that there are already options in the Heatblur F-14B that make it easier for people who want to use them like: stick (visible or not), pilot body,easy AAR , etc If you don´t like, do NOT use it.

Yeah, but where do you draw the line between what are things that should be made available as options and things that should not be allowed at all? Serious question.

Tornado3 small.jpg

For me, I made some new friends on the MP servers, having them buddy lase, since some servers' JTACs didn't operate on the GBU laze codes. We had to co-ordinate targets, forcing you to think about how you do CAS and describe target locations from 20k ft to another A/C which you may or may not have it sight. I personally think it improves your Airmanship and makes you a better team player. The best example was me flying close trail formation with another Cat with a human RIO, and following their release queues after they were winchester A/G. Not arguing for or against, but maybe the real world limitations gets you to solve your problem in a different way, and perhaps learn something in the process.

If you want to control a targeting pod from the front seat, you're flying the wrong plane. Get in an F-18, AV-8B, or A-10C.

I see no problem with heatblur disabling the ability for this mod to work once it can be performed by the Jester AI or preferably, a human RIO.

Yeah, but where do you draw the line between what are things that should be made available as options and things that should not be allowed at all? Serious question.

Think of this mod as you're telling Jester what to do with the pod & were to point it with your joy-buttons....but without using Jester menu & voice.

HT should really consider to make a good use of this mod.

It's not that unrealistic at all. You're not using any superpowers cheat or equipment that ain't in the F-14.

i7 8700k@4.7, 1080ti, DDR4 32GB, 2x SSD , HD 2TB, W10, ASUS 27", TrackIr5, TMWH, X-56, GProR.

Ding ding ding. There we go. Trying to work through the Jester menu to have him replicate what this mod can do is a bit useless - it’s a waste of effort/reinventing the wheel when Heatblur can be focusing on other things. Allow this mod/make it official - just have to think about it as telling Jester what to do. For the folks who don’t want to use it, cool - no one is forcing you to touch LANTIRN. But again, that’s another reason for Heatblur to leave this mod alone - why reinvent the wheel on a functionality that a lot of Turkey drivers don’t seem to want to use?

There’s still incentive to use a human RIO - at the end of the day, two people working together will always be able to achieve a better result than a one man band. But we have to acknowledge that a human RIO isn’t always feasible - I have friends with whom I fly but have difficulty coordinating flying schedules.

What, you’re going to fly an hour to Surface Target only to have Jester lose track of the lazed target after weapons release, with no way to correct the problem yourself? Yeah, that sounds fun...

Think of this mod as you're telling Jester what to do with the pod & were to point it with your joy-buttons....but without using Jester menu & voice.

HT should really consider to make a good use of this mod.

It's not that unrealistic at all. You're not using any superpowers cheat or equipment that ain't in the F-14.

2080Ti FTW3 Ultra - G.Skill RJ 32GB (16x2) DDR4 3200 - Ryzen 2700X 4.2Ghz OC - Corsair H100i Pro - Samsung 970 EVO M.2 2TB - TMW HOTAS w Delta Sim - F/A-18C grip - 10cm Sahaj - TrackIR 5 Pro - Rift CV1 - MFG CWind - BuddyFox UFC - DSD RK II - Cougar MFDs w/ LCDs - Foxx Mounts - VPC MongoosT-50CM base

- Modules: FC3, F-14A/B, F/A-18C, AV-8B, A-10C, F-16C, F-86, KA-50, P-51D, WWII assets, and [insert campaign name]

Why does a line need to be drawn?

The "realism" argument needs to stop. There is nothing realistic about me sitting in an office chair and staring at a 2D screen while flying a digital F-14. In fact, there is an entire list of things that aren't "realistic" in Heatblur's F-14 right now:

- I can use a magic camera to look outside my jet

- I have a computer program taking over my backseat

- If I crash my jet, I can just respawn and get another one

- I also can't die if I crash, I just come back

- I can refuel and rearm the jet while the engines are still running

- I can do this even if I crash in the middle of the grass on an airfield somewhere

- A ground crew can repair my jet in just a couple of minutes, even if I'm missing an entire wing

So please...let's not talk about how it's "unrealistic" to let a pilot that has no human RIO precise control over using the LANTIRN pod, unless you can guarantee me that you personally can code a Jester program that will EXACTLY mimic human behavior and never perform unintended behavior.

There is a line between realism and functionality + fun. I would rather have a functional and fun LANTIRN pod that I can use how I like, rather then being limited to an AI that has its own limitations in the name of "realism".

I think this mod should stay alive, for single player purposes, like a....mod. In MP it should be disabled in general. People flying two seaters in MP solo? Hell, get some friends. Or at least some colleagues who share your hobby.

i9 9900K @ 5,0GHz | 1080GTX | 32GB RAM | 256GB, 512GB & 1TB Samsung SSDs | TIR5 w/ Track Clip | Virpil T-50 Stick with extension + Warthog Throttle | MFG Crosswind pedals | Gametrix 908 Jetseat

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

+1

Why does a line need to be drawn?

The "realism" argument needs to stop. There is nothing realistic about me sitting in an office chair and staring at a 2D screen while flying a digital F-14. In fact, there is an entire list of things that aren't "realistic" in Heatblur's F-14 right now:

- I can use a magic camera to look outside my jet

- I have a computer program taking over my backseat

- If I crash my jet, I can just respawn and get another one

- I also can't die if I crash, I just come back

- I can refuel and rearm the jet while the engines are still running

- I can do this even if I crash in the middle of the grass on an airfield somewhere

- A ground crew can repair my jet in just a couple of minutes, even if I'm missing an entire wing

So please...let's not talk about how it's "unrealistic" to let a pilot that has no human RIO precise control over using the LANTIRN pod, unless you can guarantee me that you personally can code a Jester program that will EXACTLY mimic human behavior and never perform unintended behavior.

There is a line between realism and functionality + fun. I would rather have a functional and fun LANTIRN pod that I can use how I like, rather then being limited to an AI that has its own limitations in the name of "realism".

Why? It increases the pilot's workload, which makes it harder for a solo pilot. If someone wants to do that, why prohibit it?

Telling jester to move the pod with a button on my HOTAS is different from moving the pod with my HOTAS how exactly?

Some people are taking this way too seriously. There's a big difference between a cheat and a workaround, and the Pilot LANTIRN mod definitely falls in the "workaround" category.

Some people may want to make and fly a single player A/G mission, and with Jester in its current state the only way would be this mod. Similarly, the same people may want to fly the F-14 in Coop, but don't have the people to jump in the backseat. I think anybody who flies DCS instead of War Thunder would rather have someone in the backseat to control the LANTIRN, but why say no to flexibility in favor of realism for realism's sake?

My personal opinion is that HB should do the following things for the LANTIRN:

1. Make the LANTIRN commands available for the pilot, but don't map them. Let people who want it configure it and use it.
  2. Make it a server-side option to disable the possibility of pilot-controlled LANTIRN (e.g. if the server wants to enforce said realism).
  3. Automatically disable pilot control of LANTIRN when a human RIO is present.

People can have their cake and eat it too.

Edited by Home Fries

Exactly. If realism is such a major requirement then might as well stop players from moving between RIO and Pilot. This is no different. A mod does not infringe on any other player nor stop them from flying either position. Calm down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Win 10, AMD FX9590/water cooled, 32GB RAM, 250GB SSD system, 1TB SSD (DCS installed), 2TB HD, Warthog HOTAS, MFG rudders, Track IR 5, LG Ultrawide, Logitech Speakers w/sub, Fans, Case, cell phone, wallet, keys.....printer

How about they just allow the player to jump back and forth in multiplayer as well as single player and that would take care of it all. Make an option to where a second person cant jump into the plane and that way the pilot can do what he wants, be it pilot, rio , or both in multiplayer. If he wants someone to jump in then he can uncheck that box and open it up for others. Simple.

Asus Prime 390A, Intel I7-8700k@4.8ghz, 32g ram, Nvidia EVGA GeForce RTX 2070, Track IR5, SSD(DCS dedicated), HDD for Win 10. TM Warthog 78051 Track IR5 Thrustmaster pedels

I fail to see the difference between:

1) Using a keybind to tell Jester to change the antenna elevation

2) Using a keybind to tell Jester to pan the LANTIRN

This seems like a pretty silly hill to die on for the anti-pilot-controlling-LANTIRN folks.

Not to mention that the keybinds mod, as-is, is actually harder for the pilot than a proper Jester implementation would be. Right now, I have to manually go through the LANTIRN startup and operation procedures just as the RIO would. With a proper Jester AI function, I could give one command "Get the LANTIRN ready" and he'd do all that automatically.

Edited by Jester2138

Agreed. Pilot is too busy keeping blue side up, looking out for surprises, navigating waypoints, managing fuel, orbiting target area, etc, etc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Win 10, AMD FX9590/water cooled, 32GB RAM, 250GB SSD system, 1TB SSD (DCS installed), 2TB HD, Warthog HOTAS, MFG rudders, Track IR 5, LG Ultrawide, Logitech Speakers w/sub, Fans, Case, cell phone, wallet, keys.....printer