... 4th TFW/335th TFS/89-0487

... Pilot: Capt Richard T. Bennett, WSO: Capt Daniel B. Bakke

... Bennett had 4 x GBU-10's (2000 lbs LGB's), 4 x AIM-9's, 2 x Tanks

... Wingman had 12 x Mk-82's and 4 x AIM-9's with 2 x Tanks

... Journal of Military Aviation, Vol 1/ No 2, Jan/Feb 92, pg 26

... Air Force Magazine, Jan 93, pg37.

... original mission SCUD CAP in Northwestern Iraq 01:00 to 03:00 am

... patrol area from Al Qaim, near the Syrian border, to halfway to Bagdad

just beyond H-2 Airfield, then back to the Syrian border.

... cloud deck 4,000 to 18,000 feet, orbiting above the weather

... 10 to 15 Special Forces Teams were on the ground looking for SCUD's

... one team was in trouble, 300 miles across the border

... 5 x Iraqi Helicopters were in the area, 50 nm to the west of the F-15E's

... put formation in 4 nm trail and did a FLIR let down below the weather

... FLIR got contacts, confirmed AWACS calls (AWACS call sign "COUGAR")

... AWACS gave "Cleared-to-Fire", confirmed no friendlies

... Let down to 2500 ft, below the weather, and at 15 to 20 nm, WSO had FLIR

contact with Lead chopper in a wedge or "vic" formation

... ID'ed as HIND Attack Helicopters, dropping off troops against Special Forces

... planned to hit the Lead Helicopter with GBU-10 while he was on the ground

... ran-in at 600 to 700 knots, low and started lasing the Helo at 4 nm

... at bomb release the helo lifted off and climbed, bomb killed helo

... hit in lift-off from hover at about 100 kts..... KILL

... instructed Wingman to put 3 x Mk-82's in same area to kill troops

... momentary scare that they might have hit friendly helo

... went back down to et remaining helo's but had bombs dropping around them

... Special Forces Teram was extracted

... continued CAP and dropped on 1 x SCUD launchpad

What a strong army, with talented pilots and soldiers... Against poor and weak nations... Bringing chaos, blood and tear... Invading weak countries, killing civilians with the latest tech and the being proud of how well the US army fights...

I am really sick of reading US's so called "war against terror" which is nothing more then modern imperialism for the sake of oil... And still, US people cant really understand what their so brave army in fact do...

• Like 3

Look at the year "insert MR T's favorite expression here". It was nothing to do with the war on terror!! The site is interesting as it has accounts of many problems with the US aircraft/loses/kills etc. Pilots on both side flying into the ground etc ...

:poster_ban:

What a strong army, with talented pilots and soldiers... Against poor and weak nations... Bringing chaos, blood and tear... Invading weak countries, killing civilians with the latest tech and the being proud of how well the US army fights...

I am really sick of reading US's so called "war against terror" which is nothing more then modern imperialism for the sake of oil... And still, US people cant really understand what their so brave army in fact do...

Look at the year "insert MR T's favorite expression here". It was nothing to do with the war on terror!! The site is interesting as it has accounts of many problems with the US aircraft/loses/kills etc. Pilots on both side flying into the ground etc ...

:poster_ban:

I am not into starting any debate "insert MR T's favorite expression here".

Just look what you posted, US killed Iraqi soldiers helos with LBU's etc. You can even hunt Iraqi army stuff maybe with only slingshots, as their army is too outdated compared to US.

There are countless threads here mentioning how US planes tanks etc killed "mighty" Iraqis and how hero US is... I am just not confortable with that "insert MR T's favorite expression here"...

Eh-hem...

Ok, I am as anti war as the liberal to my right, in fact, when I was living in LA, I attended an anti war protest in West Wood. I listened to KPFK. And I know all about Colin Powell standing at UN secretary counsil reciting a student's thesis written years ago thinking it was gathered intel by CIA. Poor guy was kept out of the loop by Shrub. heh

Having said that, I'm 100% behind the soldiers over there fighting. C'mon, man, they have no choice in the matter. When the commander-in-chief say go get me some baby oil, you go and fetch it.

And please, do give the American people more credit than that; a lot more. Like I said, I was in West Wood and there were massive crowd of protesters. Of course, the media only showed a handful of protesters. It was ludicrous. When Americans care about something they do it with immense passion. I give them that.

peace, man

ED have been taking my money since 1995. :P

Eh-hem...

Ok, I am as anti war as the liberal to my right, in fact, when I was living in LA, I attended an anti war protest in West Wood. I listened to KPFK. And I know all about Colin Powell standing at UN secretary counsil reciting a student's thesis written years ago thinking it was gathered intel by CIA. Poor guy was kept out of the loop by Shrub. heh

Having said that, I'm 100% behind the soldiers over there fighting. C'mon, man, they have no choice in the matter. When the commander-in-chief say go get me some baby oil, you go and fetch it.

And please, do give the American people more credit than that; a lot more. Like I said, I was in West Wood and there were massive crowd of protesters. Of course, the media only showed a handful of protesters. It was ludicrous. When Americans care about something they do it with immense passion. I give them that.

peace, man

Yes peace man, that is what I care for. I am very glad to hear there are people in US against the war. I have nothing to do with the soldiers though, they are doing what they are told. Bu I am not confortable with all the efforts to create an image where US is the savior and all Iraqis are terrorists...

Yes peace man, that is what I care for. I am very glad to hear there are people in US against the war. I have nothing to do with the soldiers though, they are doing what they are told. Bu I am not confortable with all the efforts to create an image where US is the savior and all Iraqis are terrorists...

You are right, but the people must think this because the petrol company need iraqi oil.

The first victim of every war is the truth

(excuse my english)

• ED Team

Guys, stop the political rants before the mods come online :D

Back on topic:

Very interesting reading, especially if you are interested in missile performances under combat conditions.

Anyone noticed all errors under SA saturation ? Especially many Iraqi pilots simply flew into ground...

So, if the aspect isn't head on, if the altitude is low, or if you want to launch inside or close to the Rtr you launch at shorter ranges. What's the big deal? It has little to do with IFF. If you need to VID you don't launch until you can ID the aircraft. EID is gotten much earlier. They're just going for a higher-pk shot.

Besides, though LOMAC's US missiles are underrated in range, the ranges you launch'em at in LOMAC aren't ridiculously unrealistic compared with claims of people expecting them to kill fighters from ranges of over 20nm.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

ok

Besides the "War On Terror"

Compare and contrast engagements to your own in LOMAC.

Disreguard the "If hes gona Kill me Im gona get him too" Tactics that we see alot in HYPER-LOB. Put your self in the jet and feel the tension. About 95% of the pilots were "Noobs" in combat and just trained on the SIM and "Mock" BVR and Gunz.

As far as the Iraq military, it was number 3 or 4 in the world at the time.

read the stats on the SAM coverage and AAA inplacements. The air war was not easy by any means they had "State of the Art" SAMs and AAA, Helos, Migs, and all the way down to the grunt that holds an AK-47.

Just read the info and think.

Insted of !!!!!! try 120 120 120 120 120 120 120 120.

T

Scary stuff!!

v 1 x B-52 was lost returning to Diego Garcia(USAF)

- 4300th BW(P), Diego Garcia AB from 42nd BMW at Loring AFB

- mechanical problems after an engine loss in combat

- enroute back to Diego Garcia experienced a total electrical failure

followed by a complete power loss of the remaining seven engines

- 2-3 miles off of Diego Garcia, maximum confusion in the cockpit

and crew continued to glide towards the water, 1:00 am local, 5pm EST (Sat)

- at around 1200 feet to 200ft, all of the crew ejected or bailed out

- down-ejecting crew hit water hard and drowned

- 3 recovered, 3 MIA and assumed lost

- post war debriefs imply that pilots were confused and screwed up

the emergency procedures sequence resulting in late (low) ejections

and bail-out call