New carrier audio

clayvt

The carrier audio seems to have been updated in this update.

I did a quick mission in the "through the inferno" Persian Gulf SP mission and as I was returning to the boat it actually gave me its heading!

Same here! Finally, we don't have to check the map!

The vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VFA-34.png

F/A-18C, F-15E, AV-8B, F-16C, JF-17, A-10C/CII, M-2000C, F-14, AH-64D, BS2, UH-1H, P-51D, Sptifire, FC3
-
i9-13900K, 64GB @6400MHz RAM, 4090 Strix OC, Samsung 990 Pro

That's great, so carrier communications are implemented now?

the post immediately above yours ^

It's only partially implemented, but ED you have done a fantastic job of it!

The carrier now tells me it's BRC!

That's about the only addition I needed for the free carrier... very well done!

Cheers.

What is the runway heading related to ship heading? How many degrees are there between them ?

FC3 | UH-1 | Mi-8 | A-10C II | F/A-18 | Ka-50 III | F-14 | F-16 | AH-64 Mi-24 | F-5 | F-15E| F-4| Tornado

Persian Gulf | Nevada | Syria | NS-430 | Supercarrier // Wishlist: CH-53 | UH-60

Youtube

MS FFB2 - TM Warthog - CH Pro Pedals - Trackir 5

The deck is angled by 9 degrees so if the BRC is 090 the angled decks heading will be 081.

Note the 2.5.5.x Carrier reports BRC in TRUE, so you'll want to subtract the magnetic variation i.e.

If the carrier reported BRC = 090, in the Caucasus map, BRC = 90-6 = 84°M and FB = 75°M

i9 9900K @4.7GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX4070 12GB, 1+2TB NVMe, 6+4TB HD, 4+1TB SSD, Winwing Orion 2 F-15EX Throttle + F-16EX Stick, TPR Pedals, TIR5, Win 10 Pro x64, 1920X1080

I also saw it grades your traps as well. At least I noticed it did for the AI.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Win 10, AMD FX9590/water cooled, 32GB RAM, 250GB SSD system, 1TB SSD (DCS installed), 2TB HD, Warthog HOTAS, MFG rudders, Track IR 5, LG Ultrawide, Logitech Speakers w/sub, Fans, Case, cell phone, wallet, keys.....printer

Note the 2.5.5.x Carrier reports BRC in TRUE, so you'll want to subtract the magnetic variation i.e.

If the carrier reported BRC = 090, in the Caucasus map, BRC = 90-6 = 84°M and FB = 75°M

Ok so if that is the case my downwind heading would be 264 degrees? On my tape in the hud. Is that right?

You see this always confuses me.

I understand mag variation etc

If the carrier reports 360 brc over the radio. Talk me through the whole case 1 on that figure. From a pilots perspective and the HUD etc......please!

If you get me through this I will be eternally grateful

Edited by Mule

Navy documentation states that the base recovery course (BRC) is "the ship's MAGNETIC HEADING during flight operations."

The discussion of True vs. Magnetic and why is pretty involved. My very short summary is that for the longest period of aviation history, the magnetic compass was the most accurate and most reliable instrument (in western aircraft) which can provide direction. The entire system has been built upon it's foundation, and while more accurate means exist now, that foundation still remains in place.

About the only time you see True North reference is when plotting a route on VFR charts, winds aloft, and INS readouts.

If the carrier reports 360 brc over the radio. Talk me through the whole case 1 on that figure. From a pilots perspective and the HUD etc......please!

EDIT: Correct errors in my post - the new carrier ATC logic takes MagVar into account and BRC is given as a Magnetic bearing.

No problem.

T̶h̶e̶ ̶D̶C̶S̶ ̶c̶a̶r̶r̶i̶e̶r̶ ̶r̶e̶p̶o̶r̶t̶s̶ ̶B̶R̶C̶ ̶3̶6̶0̶ ̶=̶ ̶3̶6̶0̶°̶T̶

The DCS carrier reports BRC as magnetic

The Hornet's default settings use Magnetic, so to fly the BRC you'd fly :

• 360 = 360°M

you'd fly 360°M on the HUD tape, set 360°M for the HSI TACAN course, etc.

Flying the downwind leg, you'd subtract 180° from the magnetic BRC i.e. fly 180°M

The deck is angled -9° (to the left) so the FB (final bearing) for the approach or Case 2/3 is

• FB = 360 - 9 = 351°M

Notes:

• Close in and flying the FB (351°M) - the carrier is moving left to right, relative to your flight path, so you'll likely aim the FPM slightly ahead (2-4°) of the carrier and the HUD tape is closer the 355°M

Redact erroneous information

Thanks to Bankler for correcting my error.

Edited by Ramsay
I was in error, the new audio reports carrier BRC as a magnetic heading.

i9 9900K @4.7GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX4070 12GB, 1+2TB NVMe, 6+4TB HD, 4+1TB SSD, Winwing Orion 2 F-15EX Throttle + F-16EX Stick, TPR Pedals, TIR5, Win 10 Pro x64, 1920X1080

DCS's ATC, AWACS and carrier AI report headings in TRUE i.e. as measured on the F10 map, in FC aircraft, etc.

IRL, BRC would be given as a MAGNETIC course, but this is DCS and it would be confusing if half the ATC AI gave bearings in TRUE (F10 map ruler) and the other half gave MAGNETIC.

I'm not sure... I could be wrong, but as far as I can tell, the boat indeed gives BRC in MAG?

* HSI set to MAG HDG

* Boat says BRC 353

* Compass in HUD says 353

* F10 Map says 359 (which would be the true heading)

attachment.php?attachmentid=211508&stc=1&d=1559995015

attachment.php?attachmentid=211509&stc=1&d=1559995015

BRC353.thumb.jpg.988f4cec97609c236dc2f29f7c343980.jpg

BRC353_359TRUE.thumb.PNG.6543c6fe6cbaee17b3b7f98e5c8287ef.PNG

No problem.

The DCS carrier reports BRC 360 = 360°T

The Hornet's default settings use Magnetic, so to fly the BRC you'd fly :

• 360 - MagVar = 360 - 6 = 354°M

you'd fly 354°M on the HUD tape, set 354°M for the HSI TACAN course, etc.

Flying the downwind leg, you'd subtract 180° from the magnetic BRC i.e. fly 174°M

The deck is angled -9° (to the left) so the FB (final bearing) for the approach or Case 2/3 is

• FB = 354 - 9 = 345°M

Note: How important MagVar is depends on it's size and your distance from the carrier

• Close in and flying the FB (345°M) - the carrier is moving left to right, relative to your flight path, so you'll likely aim the FPM slightly ahead (2-4°) of the carrier and the HUD tape is closer the True FB Heading (351)

• Further out, say @ 12 NM, lining up on the FB for a Case 2 or 3, it's more important to enter the correct TACAN course/radial as it aids lining up on / flying the ICLS signal. That said, if you don't take MagVar into account, you can still follow the ICLS signal, it just takes more work to line up on it.

DCS's ATC, AWACS and carrier AI report headings in TRUE i.e. as measured on the F10 map, in FC aircraft, etc.

IRL, BRC would be given as a MAGNETIC course, but this is DCS and it would be confusing if half the ATC AI gave bearings in TRUE (F10 map ruler) and the other half gave MAGNETIC.

Spot on!

Thanks for that. Much appreciated. Makes sense.

:thumbup:

Spot on!

:thumbup:

While Ramsay explains it very well, I recommend double checking the mag/true thingy (see my post above). I appreciate the fact that I might be wrong or missing something here (god forbid... being wrong on teh internet! :music_whistling:), but I think the boat gives you BRC in MAG (making the calculations a little easier).

My understanding is also that BRC is magnetic by its very definition.

A warrior's mission is to foster the success of others.

i9-12900K | MSI RTX 3080Ti Suprim X | 128 GB Ram 3200 MHz DDR-4 | MSI MPG Edge Z690 | Samung EVO 980 Pro SSD | Virpil Stick, Throttle and Collective | MFG Crosswind | HP Reverb G2

RAT - On the Range - Rescue Helo - Recovery Tanker - Warehouse - Airboss

While Ramsay explains it very well, I recommend double checking the mag/true thingy (see my post above). I appreciate the fact that I might be wrong or missing something here (god forbid... being wrong on teh internet! :music_whistling:), but I think the boat gives you BRC in MAG (making the calculations a little easier).

Will do.

Loving your Case 1 mission btw.

Nice one.

What's written is magnetic, what's said is true, regarding headings. That was my understanding.

I think it's the opposite. Also magnetic changes slightly from year to year so it would make sense to have maps in true so they stay accurate longer.

I've also heard the carrier tell people to marshal somewhere near the carrier. Thought that was neat.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

I think it's the opposite. Also magnetic changes slightly from year to year so it would make sense to have maps in true so they stay accurate longer.

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=3712578&postcount=13

Actually, I am the one who wrote this, and, yes, it is a fact in aviation (I am a private pilot).

Now, in DCS 2.5 in general and in the F/A-18C in particular, the situation is right and wrong at the same time...

What is totally like real life is the fact that the ME map, as well as the F10 map while in the game, are both in TRUE degrees (for example when one checks a distance and direction with the ruler). In real life, aeronautical maps are always in TRUE degrees. The other thing that is totally similar to real aviation is that in the cockpit, all the NAVIGATION instruments are in MAGNETIC degrees (in the Hornet we are talking about the HUD, the HSI and the backup COMPASS), of course if one doesn’t touch the option to change the HUD to TRUE in the DATA page.

The Air Air Radar is in TRUE degrees in the Hornet (but I have no real-life experience of flying with an ATK radar, I have no idea why only the radar is in TRUE, but I will ask a friend of mine who is has flown the Hornet just to check on this one, and will report later here.

This is why we see a 7 degrees difference between the 2 : the magnetic declination in the region of the Black Sea now in 2018 is around 7 degrees East. That means that from TRUE to MAG, one must subtract 7 degrees

If one wants to have TRUE degrees in the HUD and HSI, (I have no idea why one would want that, although, it might be a good thing because of what I will say later...), this can be dialed in the DATA page of the HSI under A/C with the button labelled MAG HDG, changing it to TRUE HDG. Then, the word TRUE appears at the top of the HSI and a T appears under the heading tape of the HUD.

Now, what is less compliant to real life practices is the fact that the runways at all Air Bases are labelled with their TRUE headings where in real life they are always labelled according to their MAG headings, and this is why their numbers might change over time because the magnetic declination varies with the years passing, as did point out Deano87 in a previous post.

The other thing that is very strange is the fact that ATC gives you vectors in TRUE degrees (I just made a quick experiment to make sure and it is unfortunately the case!! And it is the same with the AWACS BRA calls, they are given in TRUE degrees… In real life, when ATC gives you a vector, it is always in MAG degrees. (Not sure about AWACS, no experience there…)

So to summerise, as El Bastardo just said above about the game:

‘Hornet shows magnetic heading by default, and F10 map, AWACS calls and Mission Editor are all referencing true north’

And I would add that :

-magnetic for navigation instruments in the Hornet are like in real life to be MAG

-F10 map and ME are right to be TRUE

BUT!:

-Runway headings are wrong to be in TRUE and ATC calls are wrong to be in TRUE

(a good example is something we all learn when you learn to fly: when you taxi to the runway, and you are cleared by ATC to LINE UP RUNWAY XYZ, you enter the runway and you always check if the big numbers printed in big white paint on the runway are the same as your heading in your navigation instruments: HSI if you have one, but usually DG and compass)

This clarifies things.

Courtesy of JEFX. :)

I believe there are also charting issues with trying to orient everything to magnetic north. Mag compasses don't always point to the Magnetic North Pole, as geography can distort earth's magnetic lines of force. This is why I mentioned western navigation systems, because as I understand it WP/Russian terrain can make magnetic headings very unreliable. So to chart all features in relation to Mag North could distort the position and distances depicted on the chart. The solution is the charting of Variation.

I've also heard that DCS doesn't actually reference True North (something to do with how earth curvature is (not)modeled) but a Grid coordinate system. So direction on the F10/ATC is actually in reference to a GRID NORTH.

See here: https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=2117082&postcount=10

I'm not sure... I could be wrong, but as far as I can tell, the boat indeed gives BRC in MAG?

* HSI set to MAG HDG

* Boat says BRC 353

* Compass in HUD says 353

* F10 Map says 359 (which would be the true heading)

I went back and tested, and indeed you are correct - the BRC given in 2.5.5 is MAGNETIC

Unfortunately I was in error, I don't know how I made such an obvious error as I was flying F-14B traps in Bankler's mission only a couple of days ago. By way of mitigation, I was mostly focused on the F-14B's flight changes at the time.

BRC as given by the new Carrier audio is Magnetic i.e. a course of 360°T (F10 ruler), will have a reported BRC of 354°M

Edited by Ramsay