Server CPU usage increase

Coug4r

Seeing quite a bit of increase in the dedicated server CPU usage (DCS core), it used to be 30-40% before the update and now it's like 85-100%. Anyone else seeing this?

-

If man were meant to fly he'd be filled with helium.

We have a 24/7 training mission up and running on our server. Server is still running the old "client based" DS (not the newer stand-alone installer).

Same mission on previous OB were using about 4-5% CPU at any given time no matter if we were 2 or 10 ppl on doing all kinds of traning-y stuff. After updating to 2.5.5.31917 the server starts with 15% usage (maxing one core) and never lets off. Kinda like the times before when DS wasn't around :/

Granted, the mission is quite scripted and a lot going on, however even starting a completely blank mission and just placing some client aircraft on whatever airport and 2-3 RED AI Su-27's in the air with no scripting done the CPU usage is higher than running the much heavier mission on 2.5.4.

Something was definitely done :)

with faster net code you should see the server working harder.

the test is, are the clients seeing better performance?

My Rig: AM5 7950X, 32GB DDR5 6000, M2 SSD, EVGA 1080 Superclocked, Warthog Throttle and Stick, MFG Crosswinds, Oculus Rift.

with faster net code you should see the server working harder.

the test is, are the clients seeing better performance?

Hi, the answer to this is no. My ping is around the same it was before.

Also the CPU load is generally higher, even if there are no clients connected. If the netcode got any "better" this shouldn't bog down the CPU if no clients are connected.

"Better" netcode could literally mean a ton of things. For example less load and better performance, less warping and better look ahead, reduced bandwidth requirements, better cheat protection and many other things.

The devs must have tested the server. Either it's only specific configurations that are affected (in which case they should try to find out the cause) or it's all of them and there is a solid explanation (in which case they should give it to us)

On a 3,3ghz Xeon root server I'm seeing loads of 10-15% per DCS instance, even in an empty map without any clients connected!

So there is still room on the CPU - it's just that it was about 0-2% before and it makes you wonder what it suddenly does - mining bitcoins, doing thermodynamic simulations for better flight models or what is it doing? :D

Best regards

@madfish

by better net code I was referring to this line from the patch notes....

Multiplayer. Reworked network transport for better handling of a large number of units.

My Rig: AM5 7950X, 32GB DDR5 6000, M2 SSD, EVGA 1080 Superclocked, Warthog Throttle and Stick, MFG Crosswinds, Oculus Rift.

@madfish

by better net code I was referring to this line from the patch notes....

Multiplayer. Reworked network transport for better handling of a large number of units.

is the dedicated server you are hosting using more or less CPU or the same amount it did before ?

No more pre-orders

Click here for tutorials for using Virpil Hardware and Software

Click here for Virpil Flight equipment dimensions and pictures.

I'm definitely seeing higher loading on my CPU.

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

Server: i5 2500@3.9Ghz, 1080, 24GB DDR3, SSD.

• 2 weeks later...
Indeed, when norender mode was reworked the fps limit was accidentally dropped.

Fixed this.

Thank you for the reports!

Were the latest updates supposed to have this fix yet? I'm seeing an fps of roughly 80-120 depending on the mission but the max fps is set to 30 in the autoexec.cfg.

-

Last week's update fixed it for me. In the change log, they explained that they'd accidentally removed the frame limit. IIRC they reintroduced the frame rate limit at 120. My server loading has definitely returned to a sensible level, so looks good to me.

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

Server: i5 2500@3.9Ghz, 1080, 24GB DDR3, SSD.

Even tacview logs it's higher than that. Either way, is there a way we can change the default? Most people don't even get 120 fps on their sim rig, might be a little over the top to have a server tickrate that high.

-

• ED Team
Even tacview logs it's higher than that. Either way, is there a way we can change the default? Most people don't even get 120 fps on their sim rig, might be a little over the top to have a server tickrate that high.

I don't think there any sense to change the default, but anyway,

autoexec.cfg:

norender_fps = 120

Dmitry S. Baikov @ Eagle Dynamics

LockOn FC2 Soundtrack Remastered out NOW everywhere - https://band.link/LockOnFC2.