My Virpil Configuration Software Guide

mazex

To be able to get my key mappings working for the setup in my editable templates here: https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=240782 - I wrote a small guide to the Virpil Configuration Software - mostly for myself as I want to remember how I did some stuff when I need to do more in a year or so... I have documented how I think the configuration works 😉

There are many Youtube videos out there but I am old school and like a document for stuff like this 🙂

Link to download: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ocxNLLKyWcdVA27I2xiyNGvNt5KW5Uor/view?usp=share_link

Screen shot of the TOC:

RWZHTCH.png

And a chapter:

Xd0CMfW.png

Edited by mazex
Updated version 2023. Not all ;)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Ryzen 7800X3D | Gigabyte X670 Aorus Elite AX MB | 32GB 6000Mhz DDR5 | RTX 3080 GPU | Sound BlasterX AE-5 | Windows 11 Pro x64 | Virpil T-50 Throttle | T50 CM2 Grip + WarBRD | VKB T-rudder MK IV | Asus PG279Q 1440p | Valve Index VR | Samsung 980 Pro as system disk and DCS on separate Intel 665P NVME SSD

thanks for doing this. I successfully updated my firmware a few times, but it's been a while now, and each time I feel like I just "get lucky". I will be consulting this when my CM2 arrives so thanks in advanced!

• 3 months later...

Updated to version 0.61 (see top post for DL link)

Edited by mazex

Ryzen 7800X3D | Gigabyte X670 Aorus Elite AX MB | 32GB 6000Mhz DDR5 | RTX 3080 GPU | Sound BlasterX AE-5 | Windows 11 Pro x64 | Virpil T-50 Throttle | T50 CM2 Grip + WarBRD | VKB T-rudder MK IV | Asus PG279Q 1440p | Valve Index VR | Samsung 980 Pro as system disk and DCS on separate Intel 665P NVME SSD

Thank you mazex for this.

Rig: RTX 4080, 11th Gen Intel Core i7 11700K, 32GB DDR4 RAM, 3xSSD Drives, TM F/A18 Grip on Virpil WarBrd base, Honeycomb Bravo throttle, VKB-Sim T Rudder Pedals MkIV, Virpil MongoosT-50CM throttle, Varjo Aero.

• 5 months later...

OK - updated my firmware to latest version and without this guide I would have been lost myself :) So fixed some errors and added that it works with software / firmware version 2020-02-04.

Thank you so much! I was very frustrated with what I perceived as limited usefulness of the T1/T2/T3 switches. Now you gave me a perfect solution on how to fix this problem! Thanks a lot!

Another way to fix the limited usefulness of the toggle switches, replace the latching ones with momentary switches.

Still need to run the software to map the unused physical inputs to a logical input.

DSC00823.thumb.jpg.b6e6f023dfbe1d1e827026e50ce878ce.jpg

DSC00825.thumb.jpg.c6ef0f240c1bb8b386ebf0587ce17174.jpg

• 1 month later...
OK - updated my firmware to latest version and without this guide I would have been lost myself :) So fixed some errors and added that it works with software / firmware version 2020-02-04.

Should there be two mapped weapon release buttons (DCS F/A 18 v1.7) Button 4 (red button) and Button 20 (trigger)? Just wondering if i should set them both to weapon release or not, or go back to v1.6 and use it for spin Recovery? Any help is appreciated!!!

I have realized that I really don't use the flip down trigger for the F18 as it is now, so if you come up with a good use I would be happy to know!

An important note is that I also use a Logitech G13 keypad for slew control so that's why they are not in the mapping. The G13 ministick is great for that...

My full setup with Virpil Hotas + G13 and template for that...

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=242821

I have realized that I really don't use the flip down trigger for the F18 as it is now, so if you come up with a good use I would be happy to know!

An important note is that I also use a Logitech G13 keypad for slew control so that's why they are not in the mapping. The G13 ministick is great for that...

My full setup with Virpil Hotas + G13 and template for that...

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=242821

thanks for sharing and I will add any experiences that seem useful after i hammer things out. First order of business is to check out the G13. I notice that's there were two other devices you mentioned, one is the G15 and there was even another. Which one is the best for DCS? Hands down G13, or do the other ones have a place in the running?

thanks for sharing and I will add any experiences that seem useful after i hammer things out. First order of business is to check out the G13. I notice that's there were two other devices you mentioned, one is the G15 and there was even another. Which one is the best for DCS? Hands down G13, or do the other ones have a place in the running?
The reason I use a G13 is that I bought it long time ago for other purposes. It was in a box gathering dust for years when I realized that I might be able to use it some way with my Hotas setup in VR, as finding the keyboard is way too complex. I realized that this setup works surprisingly well.

The Virpil desk mount almost feels like it's built for it. But the G13 is discontinued now which many are sad about. From what I understand used ones go for 300 quid these days... There are similar products but they don't have the analog thumb stick that works very well for slew control in DCS.

The reason I use a G13 is that I bought it long time ago for other purposes. It was in a box gathering dust for years when I realized that I might be able to use it some way with my Hotas setup in VR, as finding the keyboard is way too complex. I realized that this setup works surprisingly well.

The Virpil desk mount almost feels like it's built for it. But the G13 is discontinued now which many are sad about. From what I understand used ones go for 300 quid these days... There are similar products but they don't have the analog thumb stick that works very well for slew control in DCS.

ok , thanks, i will look for one and I appreciate the insight into this fantastic possibility.

Every time I do a firmware update of my Virpil gear I have to find my own guide here to map more functions to shift modes, make flip switches behave as I like. I realized as I am sitting with it that this guide still works (for me at least - not unexpected). Is there some guide like this with more stuff? I might update and expand it but I guess that there must be some good summary of the new stuff added etc...

The essential part for me in my guide (would be odd if I did not like it) is how to map T4-T6 to shift modes that I use a LOT, and my attempt to explain how it works under the carpet 😉

Edited by mazex

Great Job ! I could of used this a few months ago. Thanks !

ALIENWARE R11 - I9 10900KF @ 5.1 GHz - M.2 NVMe 2TB - RTX3090  - XFURY 64GB -3400 MHz RAM

Monitor AW3420DW @ 120Hz - Virpil CM3 Throttle - TM TPR Rudder pedals - Virpil CM2 w/TM Hornet Stick Center - Monstertech Deck Mounts 

RealSimulator FSSB-R3 Lightning Base w/ F16SRGRH SideStick - VR user / Varjo Aero - Big Thx to mbucchia

Start Date April 2020 

30 minutes ago, Burt said:

Great Job ! I could of used this a few months ago. Thanks !

Nice comments like above is all we need to do stuff that helps others 😉 

Updated to original post with a semi updated version. Used the guide myself and it worked, updated the screenshots in chapter 5 but not the others as I am lazy - and they look very much the same in the others...

• Like 2