Community A-4E-C

10 hours ago, Doc3908 said:

Here's my first attempt at air-to-air refueling with new A-E (v.2)... This thing is harder to refuel than anything other than the JF-17.

Refueling from an S-3B isn't exactly the easiest way anyway. Maybe it would help to have it slower, at around 225kts indicated. But you did well.

The waveoff on the second attempt was weird though, guess that was still there from the first one. And, aaas always, _EGIW_ rdlaugh.png

Edited by Eldur
  • Like 1

dcsdashie-hb-ed.jpg

3 hours ago, Eldur said:

Refueling from an S-3B isn't exactly the easiest way anyway. Maybe it would help to have it slower, at around 225kts indicated. But you did well.

The waveoff on the second attempt was weird though, guess that was still there from the first one. And, aaas always, _EGIW_ rdlaugh.png

Good tip - I think I have the S-3 going at 320kts now, which is a lot. By the way, I think the trigger collider (the graphics component, which detects collision) on the basket is a bit misplaced: You have to aim the probe just above the basket and then it snaps in. If you aim for the center of the basket, it doesn't connect. Could be just my perception...

3 minutes ago, Doc3908 said:

Good tip - I think I have the S-3 going at 320kts now, which is a lot. By the way, I think the trigger collider (the graphics component, which detects collision) on the basket is a bit misplaced: You have to aim the probe just above the basket and then it snaps in. If you aim for the center of the basket, it doesn't connect. Could be just my perception...

I think you just missed underneath.

v2.00 beta-1 problem from previous page. Had the A-4E-C/bin folder for a A-4E-C.dll so that wasn't it. Purged DCS of A-4E-C input and aircraft folders. Re-downloaded the v2.00 beta-1 file and installed. Everything looks good until I go into the mission - still no flyable aircraft - just map view. Re-purged the mod, reloaded the v1.4.2 version and it runs fine on the same mission I tried v2.00! Go figure, not sure what the problem is. All my installs matched with what the Grim Reapers posted in their video..

Edited by Speedbrake

20 minutes ago, Speedbrake said:

... Go figure, not sure what the problem is. All my installs matched with what the Grim Reapers posted in their video..

so sad to see that the Grim Reapers are the standard source of information for so many users, instead of using the developer’s instructions 😂

I followed the install instructions from the developer, and now my A-4 flies just fine.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

1 hour ago, Speedbrake said:

v2.00 beta-1 problem from previous page. Had the A-4E-C/bin folder for a A-4E-C.dll so that wasn't it. Purged DCS of A-4E-C input and aircraft folders. Re-downloaded the v2.00 beta-1 file and installed. Everything looks good until I go into the mission - still no flyable aircraft - just map view. Re-purged the mod, reloaded the v1.4.2 version and it runs fine on the same mission I tried v2.00! Go figure, not sure what the problem is. All my installs matched with what the Grim Reapers posted in their video..

I'd double check that the correct version of the c++ redistributable is installed.

Thanks Rudel_CHW and Coppprhead. I did rechecked and re-installed C++ and it now does work fine!  😃

On the download, my readme, pdf files could not be read.  Revisited the installation instructions, don't remember seeing it required C++??

Edited by Speedbrake
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, Speedbrake said:

Thanks Rudel_CHW and Coppprhead. I did rechecked and re-installed C++ and it now does work fine!  😃

On the download, my readme, pdf files could not be read.  Revisited the installation instructions, don't remember seeing it required C++??

That readme pdf is corrupt, hopefully on the next release it will be fixed 

• Like 1

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

JNelson, Farlander and the community who put efforts to improve this mod, I have just downloaded v200 beta 2, it is very challenging aircraft, I am trying to get use to it.  thank you all for this legendary carrier aircraft.
what a quality mod, nothing less then other payware modules. 
Great community great aicraft.🙂

• Like 2

Thanks for that very cool update! Since I'm kinda having a hard time dogfighting in the scooter. I depart controlled flight quite often or end up bleeding all of my energy. From the Tomcat, I'm used to use rudder to roll, but the A-4 doesnt seem to like that. What about AFCS and stability augmentation? Leave it on or switch it off? Are there any advices what to do? What turning speed is the best?

Modules: F-14A/B | M-2000C | AJS-37 | Mi-24P F/A-18C | A-10C II | F-16C | UH-1H | F-5E | Mi-8 | FC 3 | AV-8B | A-4E | Gazelle | Ka-50 | Yak-52 | CE2

Maps: Syria | Marianas | NTTR | Persian Gulf | Caucasus

Setup: Virpil WarBRD Base & VFX TM Warthog | Arozzi Velocita Stand | Monstertech Mount | MFG Crosswind | Cougar MFDs | VRInsight Panel | JetSeat 908 | TrackIR

22 minutes ago, T-Pap said:

I have an issue with the latest version. When being hooked up to the catapult, the pilot suffers a blackout for 4-5 seconds as if experiencing too many G's when the hook is attached . 

Yeah, I've seen that too - sometimes you black out for 1-3 sec, sometimes it's a red-out. Usually happens when I give it full throttle to push the pin into the cat. But full throttle or not - it takes a while (working the throttle back and forth) to finally get hooked in. I wonder if anyone has a "recipe" for doing it right. Still, this is a beta version - I'm sure these little hick-ups will be cleaned up by the time the official version is released. Given how complex and accurate this model is and how much work the developers have put into it, I'm amazed they are graciously gifting it to the rest of us for free. As they say, "Don't look a gift horse in the mouth". 🙂 

• Like 1

I have not experienced any problem when using the Stennis, perhaps are you using the Supercarrier?

6 hours ago, T-Pap said:

I have an issue with the latest version. When being hooked up to the catapult, the pilot suffers a blackout for 4-5 seconds as if experiencing too many G's when the hook is attached . 

6 hours ago, Doc3908 said:

Yeah, I've seen that too - sometimes you black out for 1-3 sec, sometimes it's a red-out. Usually happens when I give it full throttle to push the pin into the cat. But full throttle or not - it takes a while (working the throttle back and forth) to finally get hooked in. I wonder if anyone has a "recipe" for doing it right. Still, this is a beta version - I'm sure these little hick-ups will be cleaned up by the time the official version is released. Given how complex and accurate this model is and how much work the developers have put into it, I'm amazed they are graciously gifting it to the rest of us for free. As they say, "Don't look a gift horse in the mouth". 🙂 

Yup this is a known issue.

Wow, the EFM is MUCH different from what I remember, bravo!

Honestly aside from the radio issue due to no SDK, the only thing I picked up on was an external cyclic "booming" sound. It sounds like a looped general engine sound but it reminds me of the caterpillar sound from Hunt for Red October.

I downloaded the latest beta release and then the dev build and dropped it in, could there be a conflict of old engine sounds and new? I noticed there was a set of engine_disabled folders and such.

Heatblur Rivet Counting Squad™

VF-11 and VF-31 1988 [WIP]

VF-201 & VF-202 [WIP]

1 hour ago, LanceCriminal86 said:

Honestly aside from the radio issue due to no SDK, the only thing I picked up on was an external cyclic "booming" sound. It sounds like a looped general engine sound but it reminds me of the caterpillar sound from Hunt for Red October.

Radios do work now as far as I know 🙂 also the sound you mention, if it's kind of a thud, is leading edge slats deploying and retracting, newly added with EFM.

Wishlist: F-4E Block 53 +, MiG-27K, Su-17M3 or M4, AH-1F or W circa 80s or early 90s, J35 Draken, Kfir C7, Mirage III/V

DCS-Dismounts Script

3 minutes ago, WinterH said:

Radios do work now as far as I know 🙂 also the sound you mention, if it's kind of a thud, is leading edge slats deploying and retracting, newly added with EFM.

No, this is outside idling the jet, in flight, etc. and is not the slats. And was only when behind the jet.

I may delete the folder and only drop the dev build in, see if that's it. This sounded like a looped sound as it was consistent and timed and was not based on flight.

On the radio side, I haven't gotten any comms from the ground, carrier, etc. Yes I can launch the jet on the carrier. Perhaps I've missed something? I can't remember what radio settings I have as far as easy comms etc. but doing the same I normally do in a full fidelity module I'm not getting comms with ATC or Supercarrier.

VF-201 & VF-202 [WIP]

3 hours ago, LanceCriminal86 said:

No, this is outside idling the jet, in flight, etc. and is not the slats. And was only when behind the jet.

I may delete the folder and only drop the dev build in, see if that's it. This sounded like a looped sound as it was consistent and timed and was not based on flight.

On the radio side, I haven't gotten any comms from the ground, carrier, etc. Yes I can launch the jet on the carrier. Perhaps I've missed something? I can't remember what radio settings I have as far as easy comms etc. but doing the same I normally do in a full fidelity module I'm not getting comms with ATC or Supercarrier.

Hmmm ok then. But if you have overwritten 1.4 folder with EFM beta, yeah it probably could have caused odd stuff, as far as I know instuctions were to delete aircraft/A-4E-C folder and then put the new A-4E-C folder there.

Wishlist: F-4E Block 53 +, MiG-27K, Su-17M3 or M4, AH-1F or W circa 80s or early 90s, J35 Draken, Kfir C7, Mirage III/V

DCS-Dismounts Script

5 minutes ago, WinterH said:

Hmmm ok then. But if you have overwritten 1.4 folder with EFM beta, yeah it probably could have caused odd stuff, as far as I know instuctions were to delete aircraft/A-4E-C folder and then put the new A-4E-C folder there.

I blew away the old folders entirely before trying the 2x beta, but I did install the beta 2 release and then the "dev" build on top of that. It sounds to me like a looping sound conflict of some kind, so I'll just blow the folder away and try the Dev build only.

VF-201 & VF-202 [WIP]

7 hours ago, Doc3908 said:

I tried taking on an  F-14 tonight - guns only (AI set to "veteran"). Boy, dogfighting is a whole different experience under the new FM...

This update made this aircraft amazing ! So much fun to fly as well as the enhanced sounds and the FM make it a great experience now !

• Like 1

7 hours ago, WinterH said:

The radio certainly works, but...

1. You have to tune to the appropriate frequency (e.g. carrier) - if you don't, then easy-comm does nothing when in the air.

2. As seen in my video above, I contact the carrier and call "See you at 10". I am advised to contact the tower, which is usually automatic when I am close to the carrier. However, from time to time, I fly past the carrier and nothing happens (as was the case in the video). I even called "see you at 10" a second time and was, once again, advised to contact the tower, but there's no way to initiate such communication (that is a Supercarrier issue). 

3. TACAN and ICLS do not work with Supercarrier. The A-4 works fine with land-based TACAN stations and, apparently, with Stennis (haven't tried myself yet). But I have never gotten it to work with any of the supercarriers.

4. TACAN apparently also doesn't work with AAR tankers.

I've noticed a curious behavior with the new A-4: When the airspeed exceeds about 550kts, the nose "tucks under" - start dropping and makes it very difficult to pull up until you deploy the air-brakes and slow down to below 500kts. Is this an intended behavior? Is that how the real A-4 reacts to overspeeding? 

In general, I find the new A-4 to be much closer to the way the F-14 flies - it shakes and rattles under high AoA and you have to use the rudder to turn. The big difference, of course, is its inability to go in the vertical like the Tomcat when it lights the burners.

5 minutes ago, Doc3908 said:

I've noticed a curious behavior with the new A-4: When the airspeed exceeds about 550kts, the nose "tucks under" - start dropping and makes it very difficult to pull up until you deploy the air-brakes and slow down to below 500kts. Is this an intended behavior? Is that how the real A-4 reacts to overspeeding? 

I've never piloted a real A-4, but the manual of the real thing says:

"TRANSONIC MACH CHARACTERISTICS
At airspeeds up to Mach 0.85 no unusual tendencies
are apparent and stick forces are low to moderate.
A mild nosedown trim change occurs at Mach 0. 85
and increases slightly up to limit Mach number.
This trim change can be countered by applying small
increments of noseup stabilizer trim"

Mach 0.85 is about 566 knots at Sea Level.

Edited by Rudel_chw
  • Like 2