'TGT' in WP Sequence

Ironwulf

Correct me if I am wrong, but as I understand it, making a waypoint in a sequence 'TGT' should make the system automatically put the HSI in WPDSG mode when you go through the sequence, and get to that waypoint. This doesn't seem to happen in DCS.

There also seems to be a limit to the number of waypoints you can have in a sequence... I am not sure if that's a DCS issue, or a reflection of the actual nav system.

I see. I must've misunderstood these sectionsof the NATOPS

"If either the WYPT or OAP option is selected (boxed), direct great circle steering is provided to that waypoint/OAP. TGT is displayed at this location when a target is designated....."

"Designating a waypoint/OAP instigates the followingchanges on the HI/MPCD: the NAVDSG option is removed/replaced with the O/S option, WYPT/OAP is replaced with a boxed TGT/OAP legend, the waypoint symbol is replaced with the target diamond, the waypoint symbol inside the waypoint steering pointer is also replaced with the target diamond and the steering information in the upper right corner now relates to the target. Designating a waypoint/OAP also provides the following changes on the HUD: a target diamond appears below the heading scale to provide target heading information, another target diamond also appears indicating the target line of sight (LOS) and the WYPT data (range) on the lower right corner is replaced with TGT data. HUD target steering operates the same as described for waypoint/OAP great circle steering."

It will have a square around it. This is different to selecting/boxing it as the NATOPS describes, and I can understand the confusion. It is just displaying what is the reference waypoint for TOT/GSPD REQD when highlighted in the WP sequence. The TGT waypoint doesn't need to be boxed/designated via PB14 to provide GSPD REQD, but to get the diamond in the HUD etc it does.

So just to confirm, you guys think that 'boxing' means pressing a PB, that doesnt box the option you are pressing on - in fact it disappears - and that the TGT option in a WP sequence, is purely for reference, when looking at the sequence and serves no other function than to remind a pilot when they longingly look at their WP sequence all mission? Remembering one number would be too hard, clearly.

Certainly the most curious logic I have ever encountered, but I defer to your expertise.

I mean, rolling in on a target, who wouldn't want their sensors automagically slaved to the target area, certainly cuts down on the workload, and you don't need to take your hands off the primary flight controls, which in the presumably hostile area of the target, is a good thing. To answer my own question of course those that don't want the sensors slaved, don't have to designate the WP as a TGT.

You are mostly correct. A/G HOTAS implementation in the Hornet is rather quirky, for example designatng a waypoint (boxing it to slave sensors in this case) requires manually pushing PB14, yet to undesignate it, the NWS button is pressed. Another example is the targeting pod, whereby changing FOV and zoom control are both on the throttle, yet to cycle between TV and IR PB8 must be pushed.

Re. Setting which waypoint is the TGT in a sequence, that is essentially only done for TOT management, ie. to obtain a required groundspeed readout when AUTO is boxed. The pilot is most definitely not looking longingly at the HSI data sublevel to remember which is the TGT waypoint. Honestly, most of the guys I work with don’t even enter a TOT/TGT...they just reference the clock and know from mission prep roughly where they need to be at what time. But we definitely all box/designate the TGT waypoint when hammertime is called in order to slave the sensors to that point.

Hopefully that clears it up.

Edited by Anonymous User