Valve Index Hands On

aileron

Not sure what you mean by that. I don’t get any issues when moving my head if motion smoothing is on. I do when it is off, however.

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The same for me, I was asking if the effect produced by head moving has any name.

Sorry, not that I’m aware of. Happens, like with everything else, when not able to make the 90fps. That’s partly what Motion Smoothing was designed to eliminate.

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

Sorry to interrupt with a basic question but awaiting delivery of the index. I have quite a few images on the wall framed with glass frontage. Also computer has some glass sides. Is it true now that steam vr especially with the new base stations (2.0) have resolved the reflection problems that disrupted tracking previously. One person said that the lasers were coded only to pick up direct lines now and not reflections?

If not need to mask up my glass computer sides and take all the framed pictures down.

Thanks for your thoughts.

F/A-18C Campaigns : The Serpent’s Head / The Serpent’s Head 2

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

I9 9900K @ 5.0Ghz / Gigabyte 2080ti water force extreme / 32 Gb RAM Corsair Dominator Platinum 3600 / 2Tb Samsung 970 Evoplus NVMe M.2 / Thrustmaster Warthog Hotas / Thrustmaster Pedals / Valve Index.

Sorry to interrupt with a basic question but awaiting delivery of the index. I have quite a few images on the wall framed with glass frontage. Also computer has some glass sides. Is it true now that steam vr especially with the new base stations (2.0) have resolved the reflection problems that disrupted tracking previously. One person said that the lasers were coded only to pick up direct lines now and not reflections?

If not need to mask up my glass computer sides and take all the framed pictures down.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Un my office room I have a wardrobe with big mirrors, but I don't have any problem with the tracking.

Not too impressed with the Viper so far, especially in VR. MFDs are dim, and the HUD is fuzzy. The HUD isn't even crisp on my 4K screen. I'm still not sure what to make of the roll rate. I think ED might have released it too early.

PC: 5800X3D/4090, 11700K/3090, 9900K/2080Ti.

Joystick bases: TMW, VPC WarBRD, MT50CM2, VKB GFII, FSSB R3L

Joystick grips: TM (Warthog, F/A-18C), Realsimulator (F-16SGRH, F-18CGRH), VKB (Kosmosima LH, MCG, MCG Pro), VPC MongoosT50-CM2

Throttles: TMW, Winwing Super Taurus, Logitech Throttle Quadrant, Realsimulator Throttle (soon)

VR: HTC Vive/Pro, Oculus Rift/Quest 2, Valve Index, Varjo Aero, https://forum.dcs.world/topic/300065-varjo-aero-general-guide-for-new-owners/

I think ED might have released it too early.

Good grief! It flies, a lot of weapon systems work, TGP works, navigation works, etc. For a very first Early Access product, I think they have a great job!

Not too impressed with the Viper so far, especially in VR. MFDs are dim, and the HUD is fuzzy. The HUD isn't even crisp on my 4K screen. I'm still not sure what to make of the roll rate. I think ED might have released it too early.

I agree and am seeing the same thing, although this is exactly what I expected. This is one module I'm confident will get a lot of attention. With all previous aircraft releases ED was doing something that either hadn't been done or had been done but was years ago and forgotten. That is most definitely not the case with the Viper. There is already a benchmark. There is already a standard of what to expect in a Block 50 F-16CJ. I'm pretty sure ED understands that if they half ass this one there will be hell to pay. Ive been flying the Viper for 20 years for free. I've no problem paying for the VR version minus a campaign but the jet BETTER be as good or better.

Anyway, I won't start bitching for at least six months lol.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Intel i9 9900K @ 5.1Ghz HT Disabled, Asus RoG Strix z390E Gaming, 64GB G.Skill Trident Z 3200, Asus RoG Strix RTX2080Ti OC @ 1.9Ghz, 1TB Samsung Evo 970Pro M.2 TM Warthog, CH Pro Pedals, Saitek Pro Rudder Pedals, Samsung 49" Curved Gaming Monitor, Samsung 50" 4KUHD TV, Acer 27" Touch Panel, CV1, Pimax 5K+, Valve Index, FSSB3 Lighting, F-16SGRH, 3 TM Cougar's and a Saitek X36 that I can't bring myself to part with.

I was wondering if there could be two sets of graphical settings, one for dogfighting and another one for other roles. Does it make sense?

You can't change the graphics on the fly if that's what you're asking. The good news is, with your set up you should be able to get 80+ fps in Caucasus without reprojection or motion smoothing, with VR preset (plus flat shadow, high textures/ground) and zero supersampling--at least in single player mode. If you play competitively then you won't care much about how the cockpit looks, outside view still looks pretty good at this setting. The cockpit is more fuzzy without supersampling but if you're dogfighting you won't care. Turn off the shadow and fps will go up even more.

Joystick grips: TM (Warthog, F/A-18C), Realsimulator (F-16SGRH, F-18CGRH), VKB (Kosmosima LH, MCG, MCG Pro), VPC MongoosT50-CM2

Throttles: TMW, Winwing Super Taurus, Logitech Throttle Quadrant, Realsimulator Throttle (soon)

VR: HTC Vive/Pro, Oculus Rift/Quest 2, Valve Index, Varjo Aero, https://forum.dcs.world/topic/300065-varjo-aero-general-guide-for-new-owners/

Found a mission that can really tank your fps. The F-16C cold start instant action in Persian gulf. Try it and see what kind of frame rate you can get in VR.

Found a mission that can really tank your fps. The F-16C cold start instant action in Persian gulf. Try it and see what kind of frame rate you can get in VR.

Yep, but it's the same as the Viper Cold Start in Nevada, or others for the Hornet, e.g. Ready on the Ramp in PG.

Anything that involves lots of external models of F-16s and F/A-18s have this issue.

Run the ROTR in PG Hornet, 22-ish fps at load, taxi past the parked Hornets, goes up to 45fps, on the runway look to the left at the parked Hornets, back to 22fps, take off and everything is great again at 45fps.

Been on the list of 'bugs' for a long time now.

Just got my index. Playing around with various options. Should I be sticking with the base steam vr or should I be using the beta?

Using base at moment.

Thanks for any input.

I9 9900K @ 5.0Ghz / Gigabyte 2080ti water force extreme / 32 Gb RAM Corsair Dominator Platinum 3600 / 2Tb Samsung 970 Evoplus NVMe M.2 / Thrustmaster Warthog Hotas / Thrustmaster Pedals / Valve Index.

Just got my index. Playing around with various options. Should I be sticking with the base steam vr or should I be using the beta?

Using base at moment.

Thanks for any input.

Go with the beta. It has lots of great new features.

Using base at moment.

Thanks for any input.

Since you can swap back and forth quickly between stable and beta (very small download), just give it a shot and see how it works out for you.

Thanks will do.

Do they provide descriptions as how to use any new options or is it just a matter of get in there and work it out.

Hello there,

Could someone please tell me if the knuckles controllers are required if just using the index with DCS? I was planning of just getting the headset to save some cash (I have a 2.0 base station coming my way courtesy of the PIMAX kickstater).

Check out my 'real world'

video series

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Hello there,

Could someone please tell me if the knuckles controllers are required if just using the index with DCS? I was planning of just getting the headset to save some cash (I have a 2.0 base station coming my way courtesy of the PIMAX kickstater).

You do not need them at all for DCS and you can now use the button under the headset to adjust SteamVR settings like the camera.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Intel i9 9900K @ 5.1Ghz HT Disabled, Asus RoG Strix z390E Gaming, 64GB G.Skill Trident Z 3200, Asus RoG Strix RTX2080Ti OC @ 1.9Ghz, 1TB Samsung Evo 970Pro M.2 TM Warthog, CH Pro Pedals, Saitek Pro Rudder Pedals, Samsung 49" Curved Gaming Monitor, Samsung 50" 4KUHD TV, Acer 27" Touch Panel, CV1, Pimax 5K+, Valve Index, FSSB3 Lighting, F-16SGRH, 3 TM Cougar's and a Saitek X36 that I can't bring myself to part with.

Has everyone noticed the loading screen is back? It's prettier but still annoying.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Has everyone noticed the loading screen is back? It's prettier but still annoying.

Only seen it once or twice, but it certainly looks a lot better!

Lol, I have to agree. I see it when loading into servers. Luckily, that's all!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

As I'm now playing with my settings trying to get my new index to its optimum, started looking at the motion smoothing. Firstly from a bit of reading my understanding is steam vr uses motion smoothing and although fpsvr refers to reprojection steam vr did use it at one point but replaced it with motion smoothing. So what we use is Motion Smoothing.

Next, motion smoothing has all the advantages and disadvantages of the oculus ASW, but the old version. Part of the problem with the original oculus ASW and steams current motion smoothing is that it works by using colour to determine the additional frames, this ending up with the graphical problems you refer to. Eg try flying the spitfire with gun sight on with settings up and throw it around and the illuminated sight will be dancing all over the place as the prop simulation is behind it.

Oculus then progressed to ASW 2.0. This resolved a lot of the graphical problems as the additional frames were calculated using the applications depth information which DCS does provide. That is it knows the aircraft frame is not associated with landscape behind. It also knows the spitfire sight is in front of the propeller and so stops that problem. It would be great if steam were to also develop their motion smoothing to use depth information also.

Does anyone know if steam will be doing this?

I received my Valve Index (and one base station, no hand controllers) today. I set it up in SteamVR. It asked me if I wanted to use 120Hz. I clicked on yes and loaded up DCS. I set a few VR settings and restarted DCS. I soon found myself in a Hornet. My reaction: OMG this is amazing! Clearly heaps of playing around to understand it all but I was able to take off, fly over the Hoover Dam and land. It seems so much easier than using a monitor as I was in the cockpit and could look around normally. I’m delighted. It’s easy to set up, comfortable, I can wear glasses with little trouble. It’s nice and clear and I can move my eyes to look around comfortably, that is not just rely on head movement. So happy right now.

Edited by Snowy55

Rig: RTX 4080, 11th Gen Intel Core i7 11700K, 32GB DDR4 RAM, 3xSSD Drives, TM F/A18 Grip on Virpil WarBrd base, Honeycomb Bravo throttle, VKB-Sim T Rudder Pedals MkIV, Virpil MongoosT-50CM throttle, Varjo Aero.

I received my Valve Index (and one base station, no hand controllers) today. I set it up in SteamVR. It asked me if I wanted to use 120Hz. I clicked on yes and loaded up DCS. I set a few VR settings and restarted DCS. I soon found myself in a Hornet. My reaction: OMG this is amazing! Clearly heaps of playing around to understand it all but I was able to take off, fly over the Hoover Dam and land. It seems so much easier than using a monitor as I was in the cockpit and could look around normally. I’m delighted. It’s easy to set up, comfortable, I can wear glasses with little trouble. It’s nice and clear and I can move my eyes to look around comfortably, that is not just rely on head movement. So happy right now.

Good to hear!

You might want to go to 90Hz. 120 is very demanding, and personally, I couldn't see any visual difference. Reprojection goes in half and third frame rates if it can't achieve the full. So, with 120, you'll get 60fps some of the time, but I was in 40 most of the time, whereas with 90, I am pretty much solidly on 45fps at all times.