Planning to buy odyssey+ but scared of some issues

exnihilodub

Hi. I've been researching VR headsets since I wanted to join the club, and came across Odyssey+, which is reasonably priced and offering a greater display than other VR solutions.

But, I do have three concerns:

• camera's head tracking quality
  • misalignment problems
  • ASW equivalent

First is the camera's head tracking quality. My other plan was to get an HTC Vive (non-pro) since it used two lighthouses for tracking. I'm not that concerned about tracking the hand controllers. Can Odyssey+'s camera track head movements well?

Second is misalignment problems reported by some users. The weird thing is that it only happens in DCS and few other games, and only happens in some HMD's. I'd think that it's a production defect that needs to be calibrated, but since it doesn't happen in every title, I really don't have any idea why's that happening. Can the recalibration .dll completely fix the issue in DCS?

Third is the ASW equivalent. Does the motion reproduction thingie work in DCS? Do I need to use stuff like revive for that? I've heard Revive introduces some lag so this goes for the second question as well. I wouldn't like to have to use that software in both cases.

This is going to be my first VR headset, and I'm a total stranger to the concept of VR. I do have limited time before my gf returns from the states so waiting for a new HMD's release is out of question. can't buy locally as well because of economical catastrophe in my country.

So, I do appreciate you guys'/gals' time answering these questions. This means a lot to me. I wish everyone a great evening/day depending on where you are, and thank you again for your support!

If that's your first headset, and you don't have IPD outside the "average", then Rift S is really worth considering, especially for simulators, where image clarity trumps OLED blacks. With Odyssey+, you're going to pay extra to import to Europe and will have more troubles returning in case of problems.

Hardware: VPForce Rhino, FSSB R3 Ultra, Virpil T-50CM, Hotas Warthog, Winwing F15EX, Slaw Rudder, GVL224 Trio Throttle, Thrustmaster MFDs, Saitek Trim wheel, Trackir 5, Quest Pro

Hi. I've been researching VR headsets since I wanted to join the club, and came across Odyssey+, which is reasonably priced and offering a greater display than other VR solutions.

But, I do have three concerns:

• camera's head tracking quality
  • misalignment problems
  • ASW equivalent

First is the camera's head tracking quality. My other plan was to get an HTC Vive (non-pro) since it used two lighthouses for tracking. I'm not that concerned about tracking the hand controllers. Can Odyssey+'s camera track head movements well?

Second is misalignment problems reported by some users. The weird thing is that it only happens in DCS and few other games, and only happens in some HMD's. I'd think that it's a production defect that needs to be calibrated, but since it doesn't happen in every title, I really don't have any idea why's that happening. Can the recalibration .dll completely fix the issue in DCS?

Third is the ASW equivalent. Does the motion reproduction thingie work in DCS? Do I need to use stuff like revive for that? I've heard Revive introduces some lag so this goes for the second question as well. I wouldn't like to have to use that software in both cases.

This is going to be my first VR headset, and I'm a total stranger to the concept of VR. I do have limited time before my gf returns from the states so waiting for a new HMD's release is out of question. can't buy locally as well because of economical catastrophe in my country.

So, I do appreciate you guys'/gals' time answering these questions. This means a lot to me. I wish everyone a great evening/day depending on where you are, and thank you again for your support!

I have the O+ and did have the Vive before it. I returned the Vive.

The O+ does not need the lighthouses to track, 2 less things to have to worry about.

Misalignment? You can do a VR Reset in the game that will center the HMD to your current position when reset.

ASW... Well, the O+ beats the hell out of the Vive! No SDE. Better DPI. Higher resolution. Among other things.

Everyone is screaming about the Rift S right now. But the ones that have bought it, from what I have read for the most part, have not been impressed to the point of what was expected.

Check the Samsung site. They run the O+ for sale $299 very often!

Right now, you cant miss with the O+.

Just my .02 cents worth.

Intel i7 9700k, 64GB DDR4 (Corsair), Gigabyte Z390 Master, RTX 2080 Ti AMP 11gb, 500GB Sabrent Rocket (System), 1TB XPG Gammix S11 Pro M.2 (DCS), Windows 11 64-bit Pro, Samsung 49" 4K CRG9 Monitor (5120x1440), Samsung Odyssey Plus, TrackIR 5, Thrustmaster Warthog Hotas, Various streamdecks, button boxes, Logitech Pro Rudder Pedals, Corsair K95 Platinum, Iron Claw mouse.

DCS OB, F-14B Tomcat, F-18C Hornet, F-16C Viper, A-10C Warthog, F-5 Tiger II, AV-8B Harrier, P-51D Mustang, FC3, Super Carrier

Thrustmaster Warthog Hotas, (3) Cougar MFD's, Logitech Pro Rudder Pedals, (2) Stream Decks, (1) Stream Deck XL, (1) Stream Deck Mini, Misc Button Boxes

Misinformation there bud. Most of us have bought the Rift s and are blown away by it. Most who have issues are outside the ipd range. Kicks the OD+ butt big time.

I7-8700 @5GHZ, 32GB 3000MHZ RAM, 1080TI, Rift S, ODYSSEY +. SSD DRIVES, WIN10

Check the Samsung site. They run the O+ for sale $299 very often!

U.S. only. If you want to import to Europe, where OP is located, then you have to pay a hefty shipping costs, plus taxes, that bring even the promotional price to the level of Oculus headsets. And of course you basically loose the warranty.

O+ is simply not worth it in EU, unless you really want that IPD slider or OLED screen.

Hardware: VPForce Rhino, FSSB R3 Ultra, Virpil T-50CM, Hotas Warthog, Winwing F15EX, Slaw Rudder, GVL224 Trio Throttle, Thrustmaster MFDs, Saitek Trim wheel, Trackir 5, Quest Pro

I have the O+ and did have the Vive before it. I returned the Vive.

Misalignment? You can do a VR Reset in the game that will center the HMD to your current position when reset.

the misalignment between two eyes. people have reported being cross-eyed in DCS.

Also, my gf is currently in USA and I don't think we'll pay any taxes since she'll bring the headset with her via the airplane, in a backpack or baggage.

update: I'm leaning strongly towards Rift S right now. I really don't understand what kind of magic it employs to have a screen better than O+ even with the lower resolution, but comparisons show clearly that text is more readible with Rift S. Gotta do some more research.

EDIT: as shown in this video at the linked timecode:

Edited by exnihilodub
added video link

update: I'm leaning strongly towards Rift S right now. I really don't understand what kind of magic it employs to have a screen better than O+ even with the lower resolution, but comparisons show clearly that text is more readible with Rift S. Gotta do some more research.

That does look nice! Also, you have the fact that Oculus leads the pack when it comes to ATW, ASW, and now ASW 2 (even if DCS doesn't support the 2.0 yet).

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

Magic is subpixels. RGB vs pentile... HP reverb will have RGB and sper high resolution.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

...and you don't have IPD outside the "average",...

I fall slightly on the wider population with an IPD of 67. Don't know if that'll create that much of a problem. A youtuber by the name VR365 told on two accounts that even though he had an IPD of 72mm, he didn't get problems.

Eye strain is not too much of a game breaker for me since I don't play anything more than 2+ hours. I'm only concerned about losing clarity and FOV

Hi, Might I suggest if possible and if you have a Microsoft Center near your area go there and try a headset for your self..

I think also select Best Buys have demos on certain days as does MicroCenter..

that way you can see a bunch of them and from that make a decision..

ASRock Z590 Phantom Gaming 4/AC / Intel i7 10700K @ 5.1Ghz / Noctua DHS-14 Heatsinkw/Fan /  Samsung 970plus m.2 1TB  /  eVGA FTW3 2080Ti /  RipJaws - 64GB RAM @3200  /  SoundBlaster Z  / Reverb G2 VR /  ThrustMaster HOTAS Cougar & MFD's / Buttkicker Gamer 2

I fall slightly on the wider population with an IPD of 67. Don't know if that'll create that much of a problem. A youtuber by the name VR365 told on two accounts that even though he had an IPD of 72mm, he didn't get problems.

Eye strain is not too much of a game breaker for me since I don't play anything more than 2+ hours. I'm only concerned about losing clarity and FOV

That's the same as mine, while it's not perfect, it's 100% usable. It also depends on head shape and personal preference, but you should be fine.

Look, tell to the girlfriend to bring that O+ from states. You will sell it easily in Europe if you don't like it. But only if she finds it for 300$. 500$ is too much.

If there is no discount than wait one more month. In that period will be properly tested in DCS Reverb, Quest and Index so that you can choose whatever will be better for your personal preferences.

It is just one month.

Odyssey+ is the best for visuals at the moment (Reverb being #1 but we have not have any feedback on that yet). I have seen several reports of the Rift-S not looking as nice as it still has a lower resolution than the O+ and no anti-SDE filter.

As for the misaligned eyes, this was an ED problem and they added a fix for it. When you load DCS for the first time, you will have a window that is open. Click the mirror left eye and then click save. Done.

Head tracking is perfect, just make sure you have good lighting.

Strike

USLANTCOM.com

stepped_with_391_new_small.png

i7-9700K OC 5GHz| MSI MPG Z390 GAMING PRO CARBON | 32GB DDR4 3200 | GTX 3090 | Samsung SSD | HP Reverb G2 | VIRPIL Alpha | VIRPIL Blackhawk | HOTAS Warthog

I have seen several reports of the Rift-S not looking as nice as it still has a lower resolution than the O+ and no anti-SDE filter.

Haven't had a chance to compare them myself, but these guys say the opposite:

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=3925970&highlight=odyssey#post3925970

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=3922339&highlight=odyssey#post3922339

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=3922088#post3922088

But if you can get it to your country for 300$ with not additional costs, then it's a good deal.

Haven't had a chance to compare them myself, but these guys say the opposite:

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=3925970&highlight=odyssey#post3925970

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=3922339&highlight=odyssey#post3922339

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=3922088#post3922088

But if you can get it to your country for 300$ with not additional costs, then it's a good deal.

Sounds like it's a personal preference then. I have seen it the other ways too. really just need to try it myself and see.

Strike

USLANTCOM.com

stepped_with_391_new_small.png

i7-9700K OC 5GHz| MSI MPG Z390 GAMING PRO CARBON | 32GB DDR4 3200 | GTX 3090 | Samsung SSD | HP Reverb G2 | VIRPIL Alpha | VIRPIL Blackhawk | HOTAS Warthog

It is really a tough choice to make when it comes to VR without personally getting to try one.

I weighed the option of getting a vr for along time but now blame myself for not going VR much earlier than I did like a week ago.

I got the Odyssey + and none of the problems I had read or anticipated based on my system spec is an issue.

The odyssey + is been great. The wow effect is still strong.

Clarity of the cockpits of all my modules is very good. Most of all, my i5core, Gtx1060 max Q, 16g ram laptop is doing absolutely well in medium to high settings in dcs. No stuttering, no lagging, no regret so far.

Just excited to see what dcs world VR optimization will bring.

Perhaps it because it is my first time in vr but I very happy with my odyssey +.

I need to get to manage my addiction to it as other areas suffers allocation of time this past few days.

I have become a very strong advocate for VR in dcs. It is a game changer. Just choose what is best for your needs.

Edited by Eaglewings

Windows 10 Pro 64bit|Ryzen 5600 @3.8Ghz|EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 Ultra|Corair vengence 32G DDR4 @3200mhz|MSI B550|Thrustmaster Flightstick| Virpil CM3 Throttle| Thrustmaster TFRP Rudder Pedal /Samsung Odyssey Plus Headset